1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Does your job fulfill you?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Fink93, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Fink93

Fink93 Fapstronaut

hello,

I´m reading a book at the moment and its called "the why cafe" by john p. strelecky. its about the meaning of life. there are 3 questions that are asked and those are:

1. Why are you here?
    2. Do you fear death?
    3. Are you fulfilled?

the more pages in the book i read, the more it opens my eyes. why do i keep working in my job even though i don´t really like it and i find it boring as hell? i´m pretty sure 3/4 of my workmates think the same, but they don´t change anything about it. why? because they want to earn a lot of money to buy a lot of nonsense like a new BMW 7, which costs a couple of thousand euros. but materialistic things don´t make you happy, instead the more things you have, the more unhappy you get.

theres some things that keep me from just doing what i want to do. first of all i haven´t even figured out what i like. instead i rely on others (especially my father) to get me a new job, a leasing car and a big appartement i don´t even need/like! hurray! and of course i can pay that all by myself (i wouldn´t let my father help me financially). its a huge burden for me at the moment.

what if you had a job you would love and not get much money from it? recently i find myself often saying "money doesn´t matter as long as you like the thing you do". but thats only half true. i still have to pay my bills, and need to change my life and especially my demands if i want to live with less money than i do now.

any thoughts on that? i want to find a job that suits me. i´m working now for 7 years altogether and i always felt like the job i do doesn´t suit me. maybe thats one big thing that kept me from evolving over the last couple of years.

2. I think the questions you're exploring are so vital for reaching higher levels of existence and fulfilment. Why are we here? is the ultimate question - because the purpose of existence defines and informs everything.

I have an understanding of why I'm here and that has lead me to seek a spiritual life of selfless service to humanity, which ironically is immensely fulfilling. This orientation towards service to humanity, love for God and attraction to the spiritually beautiful has affected every single aspect of my life - my choice of career (educator), my family relationships (try to build unity), my friendships (love and support their progress), my studies (strive to gain beautiful knowledge), my use of money (moderation and avoid materialism), my spare time (running community projects), even how I deal with struggles in life (rely on God, persevere and have faith in goodness prevailing).

So yes, purpose matters.

Strength And Light likes this.
  3. FriendlyGuitarist

FriendlyGuitarist Fapstronaut

I actually do love my job. I'm a guitar teacher full time at a music studio. Sure it gets a little frustrating when the students don't practice but I get to teach and play guitar at the same time while getting paid for it! Pretty awesome!

4. señor

señor Guest

I'm very fulfilled by my work, but it actually isn't the job I wanted coming out of college. I got out of flight school with the same aspirations as most pilots and wanted to chase the airlines. The problem is that the faa requires 1500 hours of flight time in order to receive the proper ratings required to work for the airlines, and I had about 200 when I graduated. So I decided, against my will, that I'd pay the extra money to become a flight instructor so I could build up my hours.

When that happened, something seemed to click. I realized that this job was so much more fulfilling than flying a bunch of assholes in a glorified bus. That would have been a huge waste of my personality. But now I can change people's lives and inspire a love of flying into them. Watching a student grow from a scared little kid that can't land a plane to a fully licensed commercial pilot is honestly one of the coolest things I've experienced. I can definitely see myself doing this for the rest of my career, and I'm only 22

So yeah, I'm fulfilled by my job. But my situation is not realistic. A lot of things had to go right for me to be here, things way out of my control. Turns out you can do everything right in your life and still end up losing. That's why this whole "chase your dreams" platitude makes me really uneasy. One of the cold hard truths you have to accept as you grow up is that passion, objectively speaking, is not worth chasing for most people. Finding something you love to do, that leaves you fulfilled, that also pays a livable salary is really, really hard to find, and people are seriously affecting their future by blindly chasing it. I know way too many people in their mid 20s that are nowhere because they decided to follow their dreams. I guess at some point you have to realize that this world wouldn't function for very long if everyone did what they were passionate about

I'd still encourage people to find out what they want to do in this life and find a way to make it happen, but be realistic and have a backup plan if things go south. Assuming that things are gonna work out is a mistake I've seen way too many damn times

5. Kennen

Kennen Fapstronaut

As of the moment, my current job right now is not my dream job...
    I love my current job though.
    Theres a lot to learn . .