1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How to get new hobbies?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Skopcony, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Skopcony

Skopcony Fapstronaut

Hi,

since my vacations just started and I am on nofap, I will be having a lot of free time, but I don't know how to fill it with something useful/productive instead of sitting in front of computer or smartphone. I am trying to get a job as a programmer so finding something to do away from screen should be beneficial to me. The problem is that my escalation of PMO lead to point where nothing is exciting, even video games, which were huge part of my life for a long time.
    So do you guys have any recommendation/tips for interesting activities or how to search for them?

Thanks in advance,
    Skopcony

2. Kenzi

Kenzi Fapstronaut

Do you have pets?
    Spending time with pets is great.

Flyhigh likes this.
  3. FriendlyGuitarist

FriendlyGuitarist Fapstronaut

Go Hiking. Hiking is always fun. Especially if you live near mountains or the forest.

Asgardian36 and Aidanliontari like this.
  4. A41:14A

A41:14A Fapstronaut

5. TallandTrying

TallandTrying Fapstronaut

I built a metal foundry so some I like to melt shit

6. hollyman

hollyman Fapstronaut

I will do some gym exercise, walk in the park,,,and trying to develop my bussiness

How old are u bro?

If u still young ,please do some hobby

Asgardian36 likes this.
  7. Jay9023

Jay9023 Fapstronaut

I definitely recommend a martial art.

8. hollyman

hollyman Fapstronaut

Yeah of course !!!

Ot will boost ur healt and mentality too

9. Skopcony

Skopcony Fapstronaut

Thanks for the replies!

@jaha I don't really see going to gym as a hobby, because I think of a hobby as something I can do whenever I have free time and workout routines kinda contradicts that belief. But musical instruments seems like a good idea. I remember thinking about drums or a piano, but no musical background/education and those instrument being not so accessible always held me back.

@Jolie I have a dog but because of couple of bad incidents with animals in my early childhood I am very reserved in that regard and I don't think it will change soon.

@youngmiketyson @Jay9023 @hollyman Do have any particular martial art in mind or it doesn't matter which one I choose?

10. Kenzi

Kenzi Fapstronaut

What kind of dog?

11. Skopcony

Skopcony Fapstronaut

He's a mutt of husky and some "low profile" dog, so he looks like higher wiener dog with orange-white husky hair and mixed colored eyes. Also he's 15 years old.

12. Kenzi

Kenzi Fapstronaut

So training is out of the question?

Awakeatlast likes this.
  13. Skopcony

Skopcony Fapstronaut

No, I plan on doing it, just i really don't percieve it as something to do whenever i have free time and be super excited about it, but as another healthy habit, nothing more.

Aidanliontari likes this.
  14. Jay9023

Jay9023 Fapstronaut

I personally do Karate Wado Ryu, but it really depends on the Dojo some are very serious some are not at all serious, I personally like a balance. Aikido is actually really good to do as well, its basic philosophy is balance and inner strength. My Wado was like that as well but many Aikido places should at least strive for that philosophy.

overclocked and Aidanliontari like this.
  15. Go to the gym or workout at home whichever works for you. I bought a spin bike and a workout bench to go with the dumbbells I already had. I worked out this morning it got me seriously pumped up! My motivation is returning and I just feel fired up! I’m a programmer as well so here is a tip for you. The programming should be both a hobby and your career. I agree you do need to take some time away from the computer but if you are serious about getting a job then train hard. Both body and mind. Put in the hours for working out and learning to code and you will be a success. Repetition guarantees success.

Asgardian36 likes this.
  16. gvtrhg

gvtrhg Fapstronaut

Personally I like to work out when I'm feeling down. It may not make me happy necessarily, but being healthy can make you feel good about yourself and increase your body confidence. The smallest bit of a workout regimen I do have is done before showering every night though that's mostly because sometimes my life just gets so busy and that can help me decompress.

Working out doesn't have to be a regimen. Whenever I feel inspired I tend to go on runs or do some other fitness related thing! Maybe changing your thoughts about working out can inspire you

17. overclocked

overclocked Fapstronaut

First you have to choose a hobby. You already said what you want.
    -It should have nothing to do with a computer screen.

So that's one step. What next?
    Will it be about music? You could learn how to play an instrument, start a band or learn how to dance.
    Is it supposed to be physical and competitive? Martial arts? Pro bodybuilding?
    Does it have to involve speed? Bycicle racing? Driving cart?
    Do you want to be in a team? Football? Paintball?

18. hollyman

hollyman Fapstronaut

Type of martial art can be diferent on people there are defensive and ofensive type of martial art

I like anime, so i choose aikido,, its somehow make me happy when they teach us about sword just like the scene in anime

But if i would recomend you if u dont wana be martial art athlete,,(just for fun)
    Choose martial art who not so popular like aikido, krav maga, silat, capoera, wing chun etc beside (karate, taekwondo)

Why? Because theyre usually have a lesser participant when training (less member), make ur training more eficient and easier to have a new friend,

19. Hey mate,
    I would recomend you a martial art.
    I train Aikido, Iaido & sometime BJJ.
    But my heart is in Aikido as I love to play with swords(I mean bokken;)).
    Aikido is a peaceful & defencive type of martial art where you can learn how to use the energy of your opponent in order to neutralize the attack.
    It is more about finding ourself with the help of training in my opinion.

By the Way, now I'm learning how to teach Aikido to beginners. ;)

You're right mate.

20. Genji

Genji Guest

learn coding, increase your income.

learn a language, increase your number of friends