1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The positive side of Athiesm

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Waldo101, Jun 15, 2017.

1. nomju

nomju Fapstronaut

Yes, once again, in order to explain ANYTHING (including the objective standards of morality), you need to use words whose definitions have been determined through a subjective process. Once again, you fail to realize that your religion does absolutely nothing to solve that 'problem.' Your argument is as ridiculous as saying that 'two plus two equals four' is not an objective fact because somebody might not agree what the word 'two' means.

It's starting to become more and more clear that you simply don't know what 'objective' means. If existence of those factors was contingent on universal agreement, it wouldn't be objective. Subjective doesn't 'graduate' into objective just because it's subjectively agreed upon by many people.

The passage you are quoting is preceded by "he found the place where it is written:". You're simply proving yourself to be intellectually dishonest now.

And you that still doesn't do anything to suggest that the anti-slavery sentiment was anything beyond the enslavement of Jews by non-Jews.

And again, if the meanings are contingent on sentient SUBJECTS (the members of the speech community), then they are SUBJECTIVE.

I didn't know that a person's credibility is proportional to the number of comments they've written on nofap.com. Is that another nugget of logic they teach at your church? :)

2. I will win

I will win Fapstronaut

So? 1400 And as I said none of the people called him a pedophile and he didn't marry her for sexual purpose, because Islam denies such a thing. As long it was something normal and common and for non-sexual purpose. I don't care then..

3. Hisself

Hisself Fapstronaut

Once we define morality as well being then we can make objective moral statements. If what we mean by morality is anything other than well being we might as well lose the word altogether. Obeying an authority is not the same as exercising morality, obeying god is simply following orders. If you think that your god is moral then you had to make a moral judgement on his character independent of him. If morality comes from god then he could command atrocities and they would by definition be moral. For example the Bible gives instructions on who to enslave and how badly you can beat them before it becomes a criminal offense. Owning another human being is not moral. If I could stop a child rapist I would, that is the difference between me and your god. Piling your sins onto a scapegoat in the form of Jesus and atoning for your sins is not moral teaching. Punishing a human being for the crimes of another through vicarious redemption is not moral teaching. I'm not looking to offend just stating the truth of the matter.

Xience likes this.
  4. Xience

Xience Guest

Generalized viewpoint but I hear and like.

5. Xience

Xience Guest

Jesus was a boss yo,

But yo wanna talk about his unknown years?

6. Xience

Xience Guest

Christ asked me to down a 40 for the level of ignorance but I will be back to debate soon.

Brb.

7. Xience

Xience Guest

Full Throttle Time

8. Xience

Xience Guest

Btw it's atheism not iesm but perhaps you are a new breed?

9. Xience

Xience Guest

I've already asked for forgiveness don't worry about me.

10. Spiff

Spiff Fapstronaut

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, and I am more and more sure that, in general, with exceptions, those involved in this thread have no interest in actually hearing any viewpoint that differs with their own.

That said, merely for the sake of mutual understanding, I would like to objectively, futily, and kindly explain (as has already been done) why any reference to old testament laws has no place in a debate with someone who follows Christ and his teachings in the bible.

According to the words of Christ as reported in the new testament, His purpose in the redemptive work he accomplished on earth (incarnation, crucifiction, etc) was to fulfill the law's requirements. Christ set aside, or, rendered inoperative, the law of Moses. He did not abolish, or dissolve, it, but completed it.

This is why Christians can eat lobster, don't have to slay any Philistines, stone adulterers, and can wear clothing made from two different kinds of fabric. Christians don't even have to sow tassels on the four corners of their cloaks.

When Christ was asked what the most important commands were, he said that people ought to love God and love people. Obviously, Christians are imperfect humans and do terrible things all the time like all other humans.

However, faithful Christians become more and more like Christ and when Christ was shown a woman who had been caught in adultery he did not stone her. Instead he invited the others present, who were all too willing to commit violence, to look at their own lives and get their own hearts right.

I am merely a lay Christian with a flawed understanding of everything, but, I believe this is the general position of most Christians who have taken the time to actually consider the scriptures and their faith. If someone who actually understands Christianity beyond a cursory look at an anti-Christian website believes I am in error - please let me know.

So... for the sake of all involved... go ahead and present arguments against Christian morality... but please take the time to consider these words first.

SuperFan likes this.
  11. I will win

I will win Fapstronaut

There's no thing such as morality. Only laws and religions exist, without these there would be no morality at all. If there was no law, then no one would consider doing anything bad. That's why we may see people asking if this was legal or illegal. Morality might exist, but we aren't sure. We might sometimes feel bad about doing something, but the most important thing that we will care about is "will I be punished?" "How will I escape?" "What am I gonna do? I will go to jail, no no, I don't want to go to jail" Take killing for example, why is killing bad? All killing do is speeding the process of death. How is that bad? Once we die. We will be forgotten and all the things that we had done will be like nothing.

12. Millenial

Millenial Fapstronaut

Hitler and Stalin were Atheists. They were pretty violent.

13. I will win

I will win Fapstronaut

I can name another mass murder atheists, but they will say that "You cannot commit killing in the name of Atheism" but if an atheist pays to charity, they will say otherwise.

14. Hisself

Hisself Fapstronaut

I think this comment shows more about your moral integrity and less about the innate sense of fairness observed in almost all social species.

15. I will win

I will win Fapstronaut

That's your opinion and it doesn't matter here.

16. Hisself

Hisself Fapstronaut

I
    If you believe that without laws and religion there is no morality then you lack a moral compass, I don't believe you do lack a moral compass. I think you give your god too much credit and not enough to yourself. Morality is an evolved trait that is observed in varying degrees in many species, it has nothing to do with religion. Religion hijacked and perverted our own innate morality and replaced it with a very simplistic view of right and wrong and then tries to tell us that without it we could never be moral. Name me an ethical statement or action that can be made by a believer that cannot be made by a nonbeliever.

17. I will win

I will win Fapstronaut

Bla bla bla bla, you did not respond to any point I've made and I am gonna say it again, all this is your opinion.

18. Hisself

Hisself Fapstronaut

You'd have to make a point first in order for me to be able to respond to one.

19. I will win

I will win Fapstronaut

I have already made, but it seems that you didn't read my whole post and in addition, the only response you made is just your own opinion.

20. Hisself

Hisself Fapstronaut

I've made multiple responses stating observed facts