1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Experience with Therapy

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by BlackenGuru, Jul 7, 2017.

1. BlackenGuru

BlackenGuru Fapstronaut

I am looking forward to different types of therapy as a means toward self-improvement in regards with my emotional life.

What are the different types of therapies there?
    Dialectical Behaviour Therapy
    Mentalization Based Therapy
    Cognitive Behaviour Therapy
    Hypnotherapy
    Schema Therapy

Has any ex-fapstronaut had experience with any of these and for what reason, if I my ask. What would they judge their experience of these and how have these benefited them in theeir lives.

Also, is hypnotherapy credible? How does that work exactly? Cause it sounds cool but I am skepctic that it can work so effectively.

sparkywantsnoPMO likes this.
  2. sparkywantsnoPMO

sparkywantsnoPMO NoFap Moderator & Yeoman

I've had experience with DBT and CBT. Both can be useful if you have an experienced clinician who knows how to get you to engage and use the treatments. You do have to recognize your problems though, otherwise you tend to not fix them. There are some great apps out there for both.

BlackenGuru and noonoon like this.
  3. maske

maske Fapstronaut

hey @sparkywantsnoPMO what do you mean by apps? apps that actually work as a therapist? or something in combination/tracking function to work with the treatment?

if you don't mind sharing app names, etc I'd be extremely grateful!

cheers

BlackenGuru likes this.
  4. BlackenGuru

BlackenGuru Fapstronaut

5. sparkywantsnoPMO

sparkywantsnoPMO NoFap Moderator & Yeoman

In theory, it could replace a therapist if you're really adept at researching, but no, normally it will supplement the therapist.

Let's take CBT for an example. You'll discuss how to use the CBT process in your situations. Then the therapist may give you a worksheet and work a recent problem you had with you. After that, they may hand you another sheet and tell you to try using the process at home when a problem comes up, then bringing it back and discussing the next session. The CBT apps replace that. They walk you through the process each time you use it, often have the ability to have descriptions of each trap due to being able to scroll on screen, are available anywhere you take your phone (as opposed to forgetting to bring that paper with you), and often they are savable for reviewing with your therapist later.

For iOS, I use Moodnotes and Moodkit (both available at: http://thriveport.com/ ; Moodkit was available first and has more extras; moodkit is smoother when just using the main worksheets). Another one I don't use often but has a little different format is Pocket CBT (http://www.pocketcbt.com/).

A very good app for tracking your mood is he T2MoodTracker (http://t2health.dcoe.mil/apps/t2-mood-tracker)

And assuming your therapist has you do the GAD-7 and PHQ-9 screening tests regularly for anxiety and depression, having a was to log and reference them yourself is nice: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/depression-test/id666436210?mt=8 https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/anxiety-test-gad-7/id975073063?mt=8.

Keep in mind that therapists are required to share all their notes with you the way a normal doctor may be required.

maske likes this.
  6. InfinitePossibilities

InfinitePossibilities Fapstronaut

7. BlackenGuru

BlackenGuru Fapstronaut

Are any off these apps available on Android?

8. Aiyoshi

Aiyoshi Fapstronaut

Have you considered Art Therapy?

9. vulture175

vulture175 Fapstronaut

@BlackenGuru : I found the word therapy is quite a fancy word here. Also for me those therapies are over catagorized cuz it sounds like they are all CBT based. They didn't work well with my depression. The concept of the therapy is "use rational mind to change/experience/aware emotions". Sometimes it works, most of the time it don't, at least in my case.

Hypnotherapy is the one i'm interested in. But credible? I guess not. It's like guided meditation with a real person. It's good.

BlackenGuru likes this.
  10. BlackenGuru

BlackenGuru Fapstronaut

Yeah, CBT assumes that our rational mind can is dominant in our lives(which it is to a large extent) but what if our problems are based on some childhood trauma that is woven into our unconscious mind shaping our personality. I'm still searching for a therapy that I find might work and I found this http://www.psychforums.com/borderline-personality/topic83179.html.

I haven't tried this yet, but it seems promising.

11. Rene75

Rene75 Fapstronaut

I'm no expert and got my info from the net. Last months I have read hundreds of logs (mostly of SO), seen hours and hours of video on different subjects relating to SA and personality disorders. This my view, based on what I can relate to. I believe everyone and every 'case' is different and somehow also the same. There is no black and white so its not all or nothing. I don't have all the technical therms and stuff, so I explain it how I

As I see it somewhere between birth and where we are now we lost connection with (part of) our self's. This is likely happen in our early stage of life. This resulted in a different view of the world en our self's. To 'survive' we developed coping mechanisms to handle emotions. Somewhere PMO has been used as a coping mechanism. Maybe for other people it would be drugs, alcohol, eating, hobby, gaming (!!!) etc. So part of us just developed 'normal' and a other part of us is (strongly) under developed.
    To get back to a healthy life the under developed part need to be acknowledged and the reason for the disconnection with our self's, need to be found and repaired. Than we can start with 'learning' to handle the emotional part of life, and everything that is connected.
    As I see it this is where the above therapy styles come in. Maybe schema therapy can help with above?
    Ive read somewhere that CBS (or alike), can handle the outside part, but not the healing part. This means you get trained to act a certain way, (another coping mechanism???), but in the end it doesn't result in your own happiness.
    This correlates with the difficulty to heal for example narcissism. CBT is not only useless (the self is still separated and suppressed), mostly they learn to hide it better and present a better self to the outside world. Internal they are still the same.

I would highly suggest to watch the first five links of YT results on 'intimacy disorder'. This explained so much for myself, and I think it relate to many others here.

Good luck.

BlackenGuru likes this.
  12. FlatlineFred

FlatlineFred Fapstronaut

My therapist used a mixture of disciplines.

13. BlackenGuru

BlackenGuru Fapstronaut

T
    Thanks for the detailed response. I'll look into "intimacy disorder" on youtube.