1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I Hate my Own Mother

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Millenial, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Millenial

Millenial Fapstronaut

I've decided this, and I'm tired of being ashamed of it.
    No man should feel they have to love their mother.
    Sometimes they do bad things.

Not asking for advice but I'd like anyone reading to try and respect my decision.

2. Dake1963

Dake1963 Fapstronaut

I respect where you are coming from.

My mother essentially should not have had children, and she wasn't pleasant to me and I was largely neglected.

It was a poor relationship (she died last year). There is a big taboo about not loving you mother (in particular) and I know it can be difficult.

The only thing that I would politely suggest is that it might be good for you if you moved slowly to the position of just being sad or a little angry about it, rather than an active hatred. It is not that she doesn't necessarily deserve it, but that there is a price to pay for letting someone live rent-free in your head.

Saskia Simone and Millenial like this.
  3. Can you explain why you hate her? Or is that too personal..
    I used to hate my father for never being there in my life. But at 22, I've learned to forgive him.

4. Millenial

Millenial Fapstronaut

Same reason as you and Dake1963 - 'not being there'.
    But it's cool that you learned to forgive.. In my head I forgive her, but not in my heart. I know that sounds corny.
    Hopefully I'll get to that point one day.

5. Millenial

Millenial Fapstronaut

Thanks it's great to read that.
    The taboo is absolutely massive, and in my case it has blocked me from confronting the issue.
    It's good to hear from others who also have/had a poor relationship, ( even though it's a tough topic.. you see what I mean ).
    I agree 'hate' is a strong word, but today it feels right for me... so I need to feel this and then will move to something a bit lighter.

6. Reeboter314

Reeboter314 New Fapstronaut

A lot of people won't understand you and say stuff like "but she's your mother you gotta love her" or "give her another chance". My father is a narcissistic and I don't like him, idc if it's family his actions drove me away even though I gave him chance after chance.

Millenial likes this.
  7. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

One day she'll be dead and you'll be mad at yourself for holding a grudge. Now is the time to build a new/better/stronger relationship with her. Nobody's perfect. You only get one mother and she is the reason you're alive.

8. Well, my father screwed my family over, a lot, and I still love him personally...

Jewels Fern and Millenial like this.
  9. i dunno what she did for you to hate her. she gave you life. btw i had people who hurt me and the only thing that can be helpful is to forgive. Forgiveness frees you and allows to move forward otherwise you get stuck. hatred won't help you just make you bitter

10. Saskia Simone

Saskia Simone Fapstronaut

I am a mother, and I let my children down in many, and varied, ways. But I love them fiercely, and I show that fierce love in many, varied ways, too.

Someone here wrote something beautiful - I'm not sure if it was a quote and I really have no hope of attributing it correctly, so apologies.., but it was;

"When the adult in you, can forgive the child in your parents, you will have peace."

I'm sorry your mum wasn't great, and that she has hurt you so badly. Parenting is hard, you might know that already.

Thanks for sharing your hurt here - no judgement from me, only love.

Jewels Fern likes this.
  11. Jewels Fern

Jewels Fern Fapstronaut

You said it.

12. Jewels Fern

Jewels Fern Fapstronaut

I love you too son.

13. Your not my father nor my mother! I don't know you! [​IMG]