1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How much can you bench?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by IggyIshness, May 5, 2017.

1. Themadfapper

Themadfapper Fapstronaut

It's probably not gonna hurt you, but if it's hurting your shoulders then it's pretty obvious that's not good. It's more the gym idiots who lie FLAT on the bench some with elbows flared out to target the pecs [ jay cutler does this] that bench all day with max weight that are gonna cripple themselves. As the other poster said some people do seem to get away with it though. The damage from bench is pernicious though and I think many people don't even realize where it came from.

Boxing requires the athlete to be very loose [ I've never played tennis except for fun casually] snapping the punches out in a quick weight transfer any sort of tightness in the joint is not going to be helpful, IMO. It's just my opinion based on my experience. I think you will find that many high level sports trainers have boxers avoid the bench press or at least heavy bench. Just my opinion, though, weight training is awesome for any sport and will benefit everyone.

2. In my home gym I have a power rack so I can squat, bench, etc. safely. 315lb (140kg) worth of olympic plates which I may need more of soon. An olympic bar and two olympic adjustable dumbbells. A cable machine which fits onto the power rack (it was cheap). I also have a bench and a pullup bar.

inkmonsterandy likes this.
  3. Gishki

Gishki Fapstronaut

I am skinny on/off gym but want to start hardcore but I need to gain weight and i'm a picky eater so I don't know what to do D:

Used to be able to bench 60KG in total, not sure now. Haven't been to gym in a while, I plan to start hardcore in August again.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  4. IggyIshness

IggyIshness Fapstronaut

How much was it? where do you put the power rack

5. I put it in a space in my garage. It cost £160 for the power rack and about £50 for the cable attachment

6. If you are thinking of buying a power rack you will need to able to buy olympic plates and bars just to let you know.

7. immortal5

immortal5 Guest

Benchings boring, one finger pushups is where its at

8. inkmonsterandy

inkmonsterandy Fapstronaut

I've been using fat grips on my bar for my pressing days and it really helps with the shoulders, builds crushing forearm strength like a boss. Same with using fat grips for reverse curls. I had an si strain a couple months ago so I've been doing my presses with legs off the floor (lying on the bench, no arching). Decided to just keep going with this pressing version well after everything has healed up. I'm enjoying them! In a way this mimics deficit pressing or using a buffalo bar so I'm preeeety sure my pressing has actually shot up over the last couple months. The carryover is about 70lbs less than what it would be with an arch, leg drive and just the bar without grips. I noticed on a streak I put some weight on the bar one workout but didn't occur to me until near the end of my routine I added 10 lbs to my session lol. I worked with 210 for sets of 5's and 4's, legless, fat grips, no belt, arch, straps or chalk. My raw single is probably close to 315 but really I haven't tested in a while...at least I'm honest I have no idea what my true belted 1RM is right now LOL

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  9. Noland

Noland Fapstronaut

Bench - 145 lbs

inkmonsterandy likes this.
  10. inkmonsterandy

inkmonsterandy Fapstronaut

Nothing wrong with that! I remember hitting those numbers at that age. Trust me. Keep at it

Deleted Account likes this.
  11. plant goodness

plant goodness Fapstronaut

Wouldn't expect anything less from the 'Don.

Poseidon likes this.