1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

100 Cold Approaches

Discussion in 'Dating during a Reboot' started by StoicContemplation, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Bro take a chill pill the dude tried to help you out.

2. I wanted to share my thoughts from today here

The most difficult thing is to accept rejections and difficult times.
    Because yes, it is hard to go out and approach women.
    There is a work to realize that our value does not depend on what can happen to us. When rejection can no longer affect us emotionally, that's when it becomes very interesting.
    We take action with much less pressure.
    It's easier to bring something positive to the women you meet, even if there was a difficult rejection 5 minutes before.

Women want to experience strong emotions, and so do you. So do we. There is a movement on the internet called redpill that promotes ego. The need to remain detached, to adopt a certain image so that the girl will chase you. It's useless.
    Personally, every time I approach a woman, I want to consider her as much as I consider myself. I want to connect with her beyond taking her number. I want to listen to her emotions. Bring her love.
    Bringing her so much positive must be something unconditional. Don't expect anything in return. That's what makes it incredible.
    I like to bring love to the women I meet, to be interested in them before my own interests.
    I'm seeing a girl on Sunday. My first message was: how does it feel to be amazing. For her it's probably too good to be true. This guy must still be an asshole to come up with his old lover's phrases. But it's the truth. I had an incredible time with her. I will never hide my emotions, even if I have to be rejected for being authentic.

You become an angel. An angel doesn't feel the need to hurt or adopt a certain image to please. He brings love and positivity no matter what. He doesn't suck in the negative and can leave without saying a word, without ego, if people disrespect him. That's what freedom is all about.

There's no point in being anxious or stressed. Either way, whether we are or not, what we fear will happen. We might as well be at peace with rejection, discomfort and hard times. We might as well be at peace with doing things wrong. Loving doing things wrong. Being bad but what a pleasure to be bad, being aware of it and embracing it

Knascher6789 likes this.
  3. StoicContemplation

StoicContemplation Fapstronaut

Interesting take.

But besides the metaphysical realm which you tend to explore, there is also the material realm. Sure, we can philosophize endlessly about concepts like fear and rejection, doing so doesn’t make the act of approaching more tangible. Your reflections may resonate with men who already did a few hundreds of approaches. For the beginner however, who isn’t an active participant yet, these words won’t spur him into action. Maybe that’s because I’m a pragmatist. I do believe that bridges can’t only be build on the basis of (meta)physics. There is such a thing as engineering. You can’t deny reality.

You can disagree with the concept of considering behavioural ‘do’s and don’ts’ in order to increase your chances. But when you are approaching, you’re already doing the very act that is increasing your chance of getting something. There will always be a voice in the subconscious that will dictate you to utter certain words - even if you identify yourself as a man of pure honesty. You’re still considering certain techniques to keep you from drowning when you’re jumping into the water. And there is nothing wrong with that!

‘Creating a certain image.’ Well, there is a reason I don’t go up to a woman asking her if she wants to have sex with me… I guess I might as well cut to the chase and break all social boundaries that exist in a civilized society, you could argue that this is pure honesty and that it is something that women will appreciate (I sincerely doubt it). But I know you’re not alluding to such scenario. In a sense ‘game’ is just a tool to increase your chance of meeting a woman. You may disagree with the fact that I’m first creating an image to make sure she doesn’t think I’m a scammer but just a guy who wants to have a chat. That’s just what humans do when participating in a society. You present yourself in the most favorable way when you are doing a job interview. Sure, I can blatantly state that I’m just in it for cold hard cash and I don’t care about the company’s history at all. And when I won’t get the gig I can be like “Well, at least I’m at peace with myself and the fact that I’m doing things wrong!”. It’s just not pragmatic…

‘Bringing unconditional love.’ Unconditional love is something a mother has for her child. When I see a pretty girl I wouldn’t mind getting intimate with, then I would qualify that sentiment as ‘attraction’ rather than ‘love’. If I went up to a girl to say that I’m in love with her and say how fantastic she is, I wouldn’t really be sincere (so there lies the conundrum…) – it may be in your case though. Different strokes for different folks.

Spirituss likes this.
  4. That's true. What I'm saying is only applicable for guys who have been through so much rejection that they can accept their emotions without identifying with them. For example, to feel fear but be aware that fear only manifests itself through mental images and physical sensations, nothing more.

For a beginner, it's much more complicated, brutal for the brain.
    Unfortunately there is little advice to dare to take action regularly until approaching women becomes something totally normal(if you keep going it will). Maybe force yourself to create a routine. But it is difficult
    At the beginning I also had this reflection and I thought it was impossible to change.
    But when you have gone through so many rejections and difficult moments in this process, also incredible moments, your way of seeing things changes.
    For me there is no negative or positive. I don't like to be in the future wondering what to say or what to do. I like to be with her, there, here and now. And then you don't care anymore about what may or may not happen. You enjoy the moment.

I don't like this concept of technique. I have always wanted to attract women for who I am and not through a ready-made phrase taken from the internet or a technique to make her attracted.
    Sometimes I even say things out of context, just to see if I'm okay with it. And if I get rejected because of it, I mean that's okay. That's life.

When you're ready to lose women, whether it's on a date or on the street when you approach her, you can do pretty much whatever you want.
    I understand your point of view. The limit regarding social norms depends on each person.
    It's a never-ending debate, I think.
    I think that having a certain social intelligence adapted to society is always more important than misplaced honesty.
    What's hard to know sometimes is whether those standards we impose on ourselves are real, or whether they're a figment of our imagination, or whether they're just excuses not to try other things and go beyond our limits. I think it's a mix of the two.

I tell myself that one day I'm going to die. I'd rather try something that doesn't fit, realize that it doesn't fit, and come back to something more correct. Rather than do the same thing over and over again for fear of going to the other side and challenging what I believe is socially accepted.

But it's all about balance in my opinion.
    I misspoke, it is rather pure kindness. I consider myself to be hypersensitive at the base and someone quite pure in my personality. This way of looking at things suits me but will not suit everyone :)

Focusing on how to accept rejection is a fundamental key for me. We often look at how to make it work, and very little about how to do when it doesn't work. When we feel bad that's when it's important. it's not the rejections that hurt. Rejections awaken wounds that are already present. The proof is that two different people will never react in the same way to the same situation.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2021
  5. StoicContemplation

Good points.

I think it essentially boils down to this: let's say you do 1000+ approaches (which I think you did). Guess what? You're going to be pretty good at approaching women. You will have confidence and you will have your own 'style' because you went through all the trial and error. You went through the learning curve. You faced the adversity.

I do agree to see every situation as dynamic. Approaching like you're reading a script comes off as unnatural. But considering technique: I do believe that women tend to react more favorably to certain behaviors and characteristics than others, unless you are willing to argue that women don't find confidence attractive. Maybe it's more a matter of semantics. 'Technique' evokes an association with manipulation, that you can attain attraction through a sequence of predetermined stratagems. Indeed, it's not like that.

So let's say if I have to give advice to a novice (not that I'm in the position to be a mentor). I wouldn't go as far to say that 'everything is relative'. I would suggest him to work - for example - on his confidence. Well isn't that a 'technique' in a way? Essentially we are making a distinction between actions/behaviors based on a certain set of unspoken rules that can dictate a more desirable outcome. It can be paradoxical, but when you do your honest approaches, you are doing that because that has a higher place in your value hierarchy than let's say to be indirect or to not even approach at all! Sure this may not be a 'technique' in the sense that you are thinking this through like a chess game. But it is a technique in the sense that 'I will do X and not Y because the X matches my personality type". You are more comfortable being honest as it's your style and the way you can convey your value/personality to the girl you want to get to know better.

NF SINCE BIRTH and Spirituss like this.
  6. It's very interesting. I think there's no better way to learn than to practice, make mistakes, correct, over and over again.
    What I noticed during my learning cycle (which I am always and will always be leading, until I stop) is that every time I got to a point where I thought I was right, reality would hit me hard and tell me that I wasn't, in fact I didn't know anything.

I always trusted what I was going through more than books and what people could tell me. Not that it's false and incorrect, but it's such an abstract process that it's very important to re-center yourself. Do not forget yourself and find what is best for you. Until we realize that we believe that this way of expressing ourselves and thinking corresponds to us. But it is in fact only a limit that we set ourselves. And we end up realizing that too, which leads us to another questioning.
    It is a very long process in which we question what we have always believed to be real. And sometimes it hurts, because we want to be right. Which is totally understandable.
    What you're saying is really interesting. I don't have that pragmatic side and sometimes that's what I miss. I function much more emotionally than logically.

I think everyone has to find their values and their associated hierarchy. For me it's pure honesty, vulnerability and kindness. 3 years of approaching women very regularly have brought me to this point. For others it will be different.

We are constantly evolving. I may not have the same way of seeing things in a year's time. Maybe one day you will explore something else than indirect approaches and realize that your old reality was not reality. Same for me (At 23 I know I'm still wrong to be honest). Who knows, it's a process where we evolve a lot and that's what's beautiful.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2021
  7. StoicContemplation

2 approaches today

The first one was a bit special. The sun was shining in the morning so I went to the rooftop of the place where I'm currently living to catch some sun. I saw 2 girls on their balcony of another apartment block. The balcony was located at a much higher level than my roof but they saw me and I saw them. They were too far away to have a decent conversation with but close enough to communicate with. I thought "Well, I'll have to say something!". So I just asked them if they were students. They were open to have a chat but it was hard to understand each other. They went back inside because their door rang.

I went to grab an orange (one side of an orange tree was hanging at the edge of the roof) and the 2 girls reemerged, this time on a balcony of a lower level of the block so it was easier to talk. We chatted a bit and they ask me if I want to grab a coffee (note that I'm in a part of Europe that is known for its spontaneity, I don't think this would ever happen in a country like Germany). So we 3 grabbed a coffee (tea for me at least - remember that I'm a member of the Stoic School!) and had a good chat (the coffee shop was very nearby). Nothing sexual/romantic about it. We went back and when I went in the street of my apartment I suggested to exchange digits. I liked one of the girls although I didn't really make it clear because my suggestion was pretty general, not aiming at one of the two girls.

I was a bit passive at that moment so the girl I liked took her phone so I could enter my phone number. Maybe it would have been better if I took the lead and entered her digits in my phone, but anyways... This did entail some worries: "F#@ck, did I type in the right number or did I make a mistake when entering it because of the nerves?!" But like I said above: don't have any expectations even if you're past the point of getting her number (or if she has yours).

The other approach was in a small library. I was following some classes there and the library had only like 5 people in it - mostly students. Towards the closing hour of the library, there was only one girl studying there. I was in a social mood because I had a bit of a chat with the librarian, who gave me a tea. I packed my stuff in order to leave and walked around a bit with my tea. I walked behind the girl who was studying and I asked her "Excuse me, are you a med student?" because she was studying anatomy. She was so I asked her some questions about med school, how many years she has to study, what she wants to become etc. Not like it had the interview vibe though, she opened up and the chat was casual (and pretty long).

When we were both leaving the building I asked her for some restaurant suggestions. She gave me some tips. I suggested if she wants to hang out and exchange digits. I'm not usually into girls with curly hair and it may be questionable to approach girls you're not super attracted to, I'm still glad I did it and I do have her number.

Total: 86/100

Thanks man! It's a pleasure to hear that some guys are finding value (or entertainment) in this.

Before a guy clicks on this thread and only sees the title of the thread ('100 Cold Approaches'), he may expect that I'm like a major playboy who goes out flirting with hot blondes on the street and get them in to bed after a few days whilst sharing these stories in this thread with some macho talk - although that would be badass. But then they actually read a guy who is just taking the initial steps to overcome approach anxiety and who is slightly getting better at striking up conversations with random girls. This modest suggestion might actually make the idea of approaching more touchable for some guys.

Sure, my ego might like it if I was able to say "Yeah, I already banged 26 girls through this challenge so far!" but that's really not the reason why I started this thread and guys who have such expectations when reading this thread clearly miss the point. There are no shortcuts in life. You can't skip the part where you have to climb the mountain before you're able to have a nice view.

8. ShotChaser

ShotChaser Fapstronaut

I hope that my comments before somehow encouraged you to take this step! I'm sure that even though your interaction wasn't memorable your compliment must've been

Paying genuine compliments to people is quite a difficult task, if people talk themselves back from doing cold approaches because of fear of rejection just imagine how much harder it is to pay compliments

You're a stoic, you understand that conquering one-self is the hardest conquest of all, so to you I propose:

1/100 genuine compliments

If your quest so far has taken you from an initial point A to a point B, it's easy to imagine how C is going to look like

9. StoicContemplation

1 approach today

It was in the supermarket. I saw a girl walking with a bag of lemons. I thought: "Maybe I should ask her if those are some good lemons.". But I couldn't do it. I got my bottle of water and I saw her again, this time she also had some chicken in her hand. I went to her and asked her:

"Excuse me, is that good chicken?"
    "Yes, it's fresh."
    "Oh so it's not frozen? I thought this shop imported all the products because it is a foreign shop."
    "No no, it's actually fresh. They prepare it here."
    "Yeah I ask because I always eat out in this town. I'm considering to start cooking again."
    "I personally love to cook."

But that was it. I didn't really know what to say next so I ended it and headed for the checkout. Her statement that she loves cooking may have enabled to talk about the topic of cooking, but I couldn't think of something in the moment. I also noticed that she was blushing during that brief interaction. Men always tend to think that the burden of discomfort when cold approaching only lies on the man. Sure, it's the man's job to initiate contact and face all the fears that it entails, but it's far from the case that girls are perfect conversationalists and indifferent creatures that don't experience emotions like timidity. Something I realized today...

I did some work in the same library again and the girl I opened up with yesterday was studying there again. I greeted her when I arrived but didn't bother striking up a conversation until we both left at the closing hour. We talked for about 5 mins and I eventually suggested to maybe grab a coffee sometime. She said she is down - I will update if something comes out of it.

Total 87/100

10. Do you only approach women you physically like? Or do you just do it by challenge?

Because I'll regret not even being able to communicate the real reason why I'm going to talk to her.
    From my point of view it's a good thing to know how to start a discussion normally without any goal in mind. Like what you're doing.
    But that it ends without being able to explain the real reason why I came to talk to this girl can causes regret. At least for me.

It's like I haven't tried anything. She doesn't even know I'm attracted to her and I'll never see her again.

NF SINCE BIRTH likes this.
  11. Sup Bobby Fischer

12. Kowe

Kowe Fapstronaut

I think maybe you could have dropped some bait in this interaction right? Like 'back where in my home country...we blah blah blah' and then if she'd asked you a question, you could have used that as a sign of some sort of interest.

13. Kowe

Kowe Fapstronaut

Another day, in fact exactly one week since my last cold approach, and I find myself in the park. First thing I do, I scan the place for potential targets. I see one youngish woman reading a book on a bench - 'is that a good book?' opener goes through my brain. But there are some logistical issues - I'd have to sit on the bench opposite her, making it hard to make my voice heard and appearing a little odd considering there were other free benches.

I plan to do it and walk around the park, as I do so, I catch another target. Older woman (maybe late 30's) sat on a bench checking her phone. Better logistics since this area of benches was surrounded by walls.

I try to will myself to go for the good book opener, but by the time I have walked around the park and persuaded myself to go through with it, the girl has gotten up to leave.

I decide my only option is now the older woman with maybe the 'is that a good phone?' opener. I make my way there, reminding myself how bad I felt last time I went out and didn't make any approaches.

I sit down, staring at my book while panicking. She is sitting quite a long way from me with a bench separating us.

Eventually, I change my mind and after telling myself 'I'll do it after the next person walks past...' for about 5 people, I finally blurt out an 'excuse me, do you know any other parks around here?' I decided to ask this over the phone opener because I was genuinely interested in this.

She answers the question with a long rambly answer I don't fully understand but I nod my head and say thanks.

Then I mention how I keep coming to this park all the time and I want something different.

She agrees yeah there's not much to do now.

Then I drop my first piece of mini bait - 'I've just come back to the Uk...blah blah blah'....she does NOT bite. No questions asked.

She talks more about how this is a great area lots of places to walk etc...

Then I drop my second bait, 'when I used to live in Japan and Canada, I used to go to parks all the time.' I know this is kind of lame and I probably overdid it name dropping two countries in one sentence.

She also does not bite on either one.

I ask her a bit about the park and a nearby building and then it kind of fizzles out.

I made a conscious effort not to ask any personal questions until she asked me at least one, which she did not. I felt like the conversation was dangerously close to getting depressing as it constantly came back to 'times are so hard now' etc... and I wanted to steer away from that.

She starts fiddling with her bag and I can tell she wants to leave but I actually have to go for an appointment so I thank her and walk off.

Later as I am walking down the street, a very attractive young lady is walking in the opposite direction. I scan my brain for an opener and all I can think of is 'excuse me...is this the way to________?' even though I know exactly that it IS the way there. I do not make the approach, despite beating myself up about it right after.

This woman I did not speak to was not necessarily hot or sexy but she was totally my type, that sort of petite, pretty type. The approach I had made with a woman who I was not particularly attracted to would not have been as much of an achievement as the one to this woman, even if this one had been a much shorter conversation.

So overall, it was a mixed bag of a day.

However, if you had told me this morning that I'd make any sort of approach, I would have said there's no way, I'm too much of a wuss and I'll talk myself out of it. So I'm glad I was able to override the voice telling me not to approach at least once, even if it wasn't a great chat or anything.

2/100

14. StoicContemplation

Nice one, Kowe. Baby steps.

I personally didn't approach today, despite the fact that multiple opportunities have manifested themselves. At one occasion I was walking in a street and I saw an attractive girl walking towards the opposite direction so that I crossed her. I make eye contact with her - she breaks it and looks back. She then even takes a small pause to take her next step - communicating that she is open to talk. But I couldn't do it. I wanted to kick myself in the butt right after this. I probably could have managed a "How are you?". But that invisible wall drops again... She must have thought "What a weak man."

Tomorrow I will approach - hands down. I think one of the reasons I was a bit more reluctant to approach is that I'm currently and actively texting 2 of the girls I met last week through this challenge. One of them is down for a date but she's already showing some signs of flakiness. Moral of the story: keep approaching even if you're getting numbers and you are convincing yourself that this time it's a bingo.

15. TheForsakeen

TheForsakeen Fapstronaut

:emoji_joy:

16. StoicContemplation

So I had my first follow-up date that stems from an approach of this challenge. It was the girl I opened up with in the book store last week (the third approach described in this post). I must say that cold approaching is the hardest part of this type of dating. Sure I had a bit of a nerve in the beginning but when you are getting the approach-to-date, then the biggest hurdle is already behind you. If a cold approach is a freezing shower, then the date is a lukewarm one. So if you are already a man who has faced a lot of rejection through cold approaches then a date really isn't a fearsome experience anymore.

The date went good. In the beginning I was mainly inquiring about her job/passion (acrobatics) so that she did most of the talking. In the beginning, I had a bit of the feeling I was interviewing her. At some point of the conversation she told me that she will do some acrobatics from a skyscraper she pointed at. I couldn't see it from my place so I had to sit next to her (we were sitting in the courtyard of a bar). I stayed at this spot for the rest of the date which made it easier to break the touch barrier.

At this point the conversation is getting more playful. She touches my arm when she laughs and our legs are touching each other. When I'm making sarcastic remarks, I touch her arm/leg. I was a bit reluctant to directly go 'full seduction mode' but at some point I was rubbing her leg and she didn't mind.

After leaving the bar we walked around in the city. It felt a bit like 'just don't fuck it up' because she was laughing a lot, even when I wasn't trying (let alone was) to be funny. I touched her on her back a few times during the walk. At a certain point we split so I could head for my apartment (there is a curfew). I didn't go for a kiss but we hugged and she said that she wanted to meet again tomorrow.

So it took me about 81 approaches (actually more because I didn't count them all) to find a girl I was able to have a date with (besides I think 3 same day meals/drinks). I think some of you guys are actually interested in what happens with the numbers I get so I thought I'd share. I'm not going to make up stories of dates, but when they do occur, it's pretty logical that I'm sharing these too.

In terms of approaches, I did open up with a girl when I was heading for the date. I just asked her where I can find a certain monument although I know exactly where it is located (must be weird from a third person's perspective, I asked a handful of girls now where I can find that monument but I still find myself asking girls where it is, that monument must be hard to find!). I did it partly to get in a social mood but also because in my post of yesterday I said that I would approach no matter what - so it's a bit of an ego thing you could say.

Total: 88/100

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  17. StoicContemplation

Thanks man. It is encouraging to know that it is possible (even if she now suddenly flakes). To just use your legs and voice box during the day and make something out of nothing. It is interesting when you realize that society has been telling us that this isn't a possibility. That it's creepy. That we should rely on the social circle or dating apps instead. But once you break through that narrative that has been limiting us throughout our lives, it does reward you with a fresh sense of freedom - like you described.

18. You have no idea how much this kind of message puts a smile on my face.
    It's so true. That's the beauty of this process.
    Doing things you never thought you could do, and realizing that it is possible and even accepted and encouraged by men and women. And that no one else dares to do it.

You can be proud of yourself. To have a date created out of nothing. You're the one who created it all. You went to talk to her, you made the effort to try to see her again. you took risks in spite of fear.

That's great. Even without talking about it, all that it will bring you in your life in general

19. Kowe

Kowe Fapstronaut

Great news, Stoic. You deserve it man!

And woah a date arrangement for the next day. Quite a rarity I'd say.