1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

110 days in!

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by DudeFromAfrica, Sep 1, 2015.

1. DudeFromAfrica

DudeFromAfrica Fapstronaut

Like the title says, today is 110 days in for me, 20 more than my initial goal of 90 days. I can honestly say that things are looking up and life is improving. I'm going to try keep this short even though I could ramble on forever, I'll sum it up into positives, negatives and tips.

Positives
    I'm so fed up with my current job and life. Don't get me wrong, this is a good thing. 110 days ago I was in a rut and I didn't care. I wasn't worried about my future, I was content to be stuck in my sad way of life. Now, I can't get enough trying to improve my life. If there is any superpower I've got, this is it (it would make a pretty sucky superhero but, whatever it works for me!).

Not only do I want to improve my life but I also have so much extra time to go about doing it. My room which was always a mess is being cleaned out, I've thrown away or donated so much junk that I owned. I'm starting to pursue other jobs outside of my regular work hours, my studies are starting to look up. I even started pursuing new hobbies, like I'm currently learning how to edit videos and started up a YouTube channel just for the fun of it.

Social anxiety is something I have struggled with for decades, now it barely bothers me. I'm able to hold my own in social settings without shaking like a leaf and pouring with sweat.

Also, I don't know why this is and maybe someone can shed light on this for me, but I'm getting ridiculously fit really quickly. I went from a guy who sat on his computer day and night to a guy who sits on his computer day and night, AND cycles and exercises everyday. I was able to ride almost 23km last weekend, which might not seem like much to any professional but its a big accomplishment to me

Negatives
    There are definitely negative aspects to a reboot, so I thought I would add them in here for anyone who reads and is going through them.

Like any addict cut off from his source, I got really tense, stressed out and aggressive. I went through an emotionally flat stage where nothing really seemed worth it and I just felt so depressed, like nothing mattered in a way. I was lucky to have an awesome accountability partner who helped me through it as well as this website.

Wet dreams suck, I had had maybe 2 in my life before this, now I'm a dude in my twenties and I was getting them every few weeks, sometimes sooner. In the beginning they bothered me, but they are just another occurrence for me now, and they start happening less often as you go.

I also went through a few heavy urges, like most people do on here, which is the reason I have two counter in my sig. About two weeks in I looked at P. I had pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I was going to PMO, when I suddenly had the realization that I could just put my phone down and walk away. A week or two later in the middle of varisty exams I once again found myself going back to old habits and looking at things I shouldn't, and I was pacing and praying when I suddenly thought "I don't HAVE to do this", and I switched it off and thankfully haven't gone back. Honestly, being a gamer, Call Of Duty helped me get my mind of a lot of this haha. Whatever works IMO.

The good news is this stuff is going to fade or go away, you just have to fight through it. It worth it trust me.

Tips
    There are a few things I consider vital to making it this far.

Number one I started taking it day by day, and I set myself tons of goals. Day by day means that when I woke up in the morning I aimed to make it to that night. When it was Friday and I had time on my hands I aimed to make it to Sat then Sun then Mon. Be honest its easier to say "I'll make it to tonight" than it is to say "I'm never going to PMO again". One has an actual goal that makes you happy when you achieve it, the other seems impossible. The goals I set where: make it through my first weekend; my first week; two weeks; 21 days (which used to be the accept amount of time to beat an addiction); 1 whole months; 2 months (which was definitely the longest I had ever been since my teens); and then finally 90 days which is the current minimum time to beat an addiction, according to my research. With each goal I got more confident and didn't want to lose my streak.

Number two I had a great accountability partner. He's a guy who's been a brother to me my whole life, and when I said to him "Let's kick this habit together" we decided if either one of us failed we would reset and start over. The beauty is, I didn't want to let him down, and we never reset.

Number three was avoid all triggers. Being a pc guy (I work, study and entertain myself on a pc) I had to take some counter measures. It seems ever other stock photo or advert online is of an inappropriate girl. So I installed an ad blocker to keep all those sexualised adverts away from my eyes. I also hid all images on Twitter, Facebook, SoundCloud and YouTube because I just couldn't keep my streak up with all those images thrown at me. If you are on Firefox you can use Ghostery and Stylish to do this, you'll need a bit of CSS knowledge for Stylish, I can also share my stylesheets so you don't have to worry about CSS if anyone wants.

Conclusion
    I'm still battling, and I'm sure I will be for a long time. I find my eyes still linger where they shouldn't and many things can still get my heart racing, but its a battle that leads to an awesome life. The more you win the fight the better it gets.

This might sound like I'm being overly dramatic, but I'm not, my life has done a 180 and I will happily sing praise for a NoFap life.

It's midnight and I'm sorry if any of this doesn't make sense or has bad grammar, but I'm tired and I'm going to bed now haha!

For Christians
    I put this at the bottom since many people might not relate. I would not have been able to get through this if it weren't for prayer and the support and prayers from brothers and sisters. I started a prayer group on here when I joined after praying about how to go forward. People joined up and connected and shared their problems and their prayers and their advice and without them, I wouldn't have made it. It honestly boosted me up so much and I thank God for all of them.

Wy?, malawiman, buzzlightyear and 7 others like this.
  2. GorNite

GorNite Fapstronaut

Well Done Brother! Your categorization of different aspects was very useful- thanx

3. DudeFromAfrica

I'm glad you found it useful my friend ;)

4. sirfapstinence

sirfapstinence Fapstronaut

Congratulations man, the fact that you have more time on your hands to get out there and cycle and exercise and not sit on the computer is probably the reason why you're getting fitter. Working out also releases dopamine (in smaller amounts) and can be addictive as well but there's only positives to that addiction so keep on going. All the best!

DudeFromAfrica and GorNite like this.
  5. GorNite

GorNite Fapstronaut

Really Nice! Let's Get addiction of Success, growth and love!

6. adam1992

adam1992 Fapstronaut

Great job bro. I'm currently on day 57 but I'm struggling with wet dreams. I've had 2 in the past 3 days.

7. numpty

numpty Fapstronaut

I agree with you 100% you have to set realistic goals rather than unrealistic.

Your negative section has provided vital information to me- addicts will have setbacks. I will make note of this.

However my problem is more MO and using my mind than P... I seem to be the only one with this

8. slowhands

slowhands Fapstronaut

You are THE man, my friend!

I'm taking your words to heart and learn from this.

God bless you!

DudeFromAfrica likes this.
  9. KUSH89

KUSH89 New Fapstronaut

Congrats man..I got strength from.your post.

10. DudeFromAfrica

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

I know its just, I used to battle to get fit. Now its like my body is receptive to exercise and I'm getting fitter for half the work. Not that I'm complaining haha. Thanks man

I've sometimes had them night after night. I laos read about one guy who had two in one night! I know they suck (and I used to dream of P as well which made it even more difficult) but they start fading I find.

I was similar man, you aren't alone. You are definitely not the only one, and with a strong imagination it makes it even more difficult to not think of any triggers right? But you can do it dude! The thoughts and memories start fading over time.

numpty likes this.
  11. Keemo

Keemo Fapstronaut

Very helpful post. Interesting point about wet dreams. I admit, I am curious to see how I will react to those since I am 25 and cannot recall how it felt like. lol

12. 110 days?! Wow very inspiring. God bless you on your nofap journey brother

13. numpty

numpty Fapstronaut

Omg you're absolutely spot on with everything that you have said!

You are so right about fitness. I used to take 5 minutes rest between heavy sets of weights. Now after 7 months i take between 30 secs to 1 min 30... I experienced this many years ago with training but i forgot it and lost my recovery time hence it went up to 5 mins..

My point is the body can adapt to change very quickly yes we will struggle at first just like we do with fitness at first...

You're right about the fading away....that's part of psychological behaviour... hmm

You're a wise man - considered writing a book? :p

Many thanks

14. DudeFromAfrica

Haha I'm 24, I was pretty suprised to say the least :D

@numpty I'm not really a writer haha but thank you man