1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

12 Step groups

Discussion in 'Compulsive Sexual Behavior' started by Love2LongBoard, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Love2LongBoard

Love2LongBoard Fapstronaut

2. Saythatagain

Saythatagain Fapstronaut

I've been in SA for just over a year. Before Covid it was the only one that met locally. It's the most structured of the groups. I tried an SAA group that started abd oddly found that it did not provide enough structure. The personal connection you get from the people in the group is profound in YOUR recovery. I’m stressing you’re because it’s vitally important that you don’t try to do it for somebody else nor to keep up with other people i’m stressing you’re because it’s vitally important that you don’t try to do it for somebody else nor to keep up with other people. if you want to know more specifically a website that I found it offers a lot of help just send me a DM.

3. Chefb87

Chefb87 Fapstronaut

I've been apart of SAA for 16 months now. And have become a core member of our group , and have been trusted servant so many times. I'm also currently working on step 10 of the steps with my sponsor .
    I am so lucky and grateful that I had SAA when I first got into recovery. It really is amazing to have that kind of connection and support from others dealing with the same afflictions.
    I highly recommend it !

4. EnvironmentalLayer8

EnvironmentalLayer8 Fapstronaut

Can’t speak for SAA. But I can say SA was the worst thing for me. Taught me that I was a sexual addict nothing more nothing less and that unless I had lasting sobriety I was ill advised to do anything that I was used to doing. I found people to connect with in there but couldn’t be there for me emotionally or in my most vulnerable states of slipping. I made meetings, phone calls, got 4 sponcers, read the white book everyday, worked my steps and still no lasting progress. Felt like if I attempted to have a life outside of my sponcers wishes/ agenda I was still going to my disease. Specifically gaming, dating and trying to meet someone, even been cussed by one of my sponcers. Started my fourth step and decided that this wasn’t for me.

5. EnvironmentalLayer8

Idk man. I’m not saying SA is a bad thing it’s just I noticed my group had a very toxic environment about it all. I was in the program 3 years and didn’t see it beneficial

6. Chefb87

Chefb87 Fapstronaut

I've only ever been been apart of SAA. And have no direct opinions on SA. But I've heard that SA can be way too rigid , and not as accepting as I feel SAA is.
    In one of our Readings in SAA is says " it's up for the member to define for themselves what is and isn't healthy sexual behaviour. Where I believe ( and please correct me if I'm wrong) SA pretty much tells you to stop have sex and everything all together .

7. Love2LongBoard

Love2LongBoard Fapstronaut

I am not familiar with SAA, but I am with SA. SA culture doesn't work for me.

I needed a group that held me accountable, that called me out when I was acting or thinking in destructive ways, and could help me change how I am thinking. There is a lot of justification talk in many groups like SA. Even using the word "slip" shows a lack of accountability. Until I owned that I was making choices, not just subject to some disease, I couldn't find last recovery. I am not saying there aren't addiction elements. For me, though, every time I acted out I made a choice. I chose to be alone with a computer. I chose to hide it. I chose to act out when I wouldn't get caught. I chose to type what I wanted in the search bar. Once I recognized I made choices, it made it a lot easier for me to start to make new choices, better choices.

That's why I am involved with a new group and always looking for good ideas from other groups.

8. EnvironmentalLayer8

YES!!!!!!! HELLL YESSS SOMEBODY THAT FINALLY GETS THAT!!!!!!!!!!

9. jaguar18

jaguar18 Fapstronaut

SAA is the only thing - the only thing - that has had a lasting and positive impact on my sexual addictions. The people in the numerous SAA groups where I live have never showed me anything other than kindness, compassion, empathy and support. I really can't stress enough how much it is worth doing!

10. I have started attending SPAA meetings in the last few weeks. They have multiple online meetings every day to attend focusing on different groups of people and different stages of recovery. There approach felt a bit rigid at first, but it aligns with what I need right now.