1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

30 day commitment to meditation.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by hello good habits, Nov 11, 2016.

1. hello good habits

hello good habits Fapstronaut

I will be doing meditation for 10 minutes every day in the morning, which I know everyone is pretty much aware of the benefits but not everyone can make a habit of doing so. Just 10 minutes. Yesterday, while I forcibly asked my mind that why can't I give 10 minutes to my soul which will be a small change and impact will be fruitful or big. Sometimes, our mind manipulates us to not waste your 10 minutes or it might convey that in those 10 minutes, we might finish the other work. But, it's enough now. Today, I sat for 10 minutes. It really felt great. As to progress in meditation, continuity is the key factor. So, I decided to do it every day with a commitment which I am sure will give me fruitful results.

2. phillipup

phillipup Fapstronaut

How are you finding the practice? Meditation has been key for me, i guess some tips would be

don't be judgemental of what goes through your mind, be a passive observer and when the thought has crossed your awareness focus back in on the breath.

10 minutes daily can be a lot for a beginner, using a kaizen approach would allow your brain to accept the practice more. Aim for 1 minute a day (any extra is ok) for a week then add on one minute each week that passes.

Have a set space with a few props so you have already primed your mind for what you are about to do. This helps create the routine in your mind.

hello good habits likes this.
  3. Meditation is an invaluable thing. And like you said there are plenty of benefits but even though we know that it is hard to make it as a habit. Every time I come back to meditation after period I forgot about it I'm like 'Jesus why don't I do it systematically?, why did I forgot?'. One day has 24 hours. We sleep ~8, so that makes us have 16 active hours. 10 minutes is 1% of all the time we have during the day. And how much do I waste on fb and other meaningless things.

badeae1 likes this.
  4. hello good habits

Peacefulwarrior, that's the point I wanted to make. And we need change our attitude.

5. hello good habits

That's true.

6. If you find meditation difficult, one thing I suggest is adding a session before bed. I recently switched up my meditation to start meditating about an hour before I go to bed and I find it much easier to meditate. Why? Well for one I've already done everything from the day, so my mind isn't pre-occupied with thinking about what I'm going to do next.

Alongside that though it also makes for some amazing restful sleep - and a pleasant unintended side-effect of it that I've had is that I get lucid dreams every night that I meditate before sleep (if you're unaware lucid dreams are dreams where you know it's a dream and so are in control and can do whatever you like: from flying around, to visiting different countries, to floating through space, to becoming a super-hero)

Another thing I suggest is preparing for meditation. Rather than simply stopping what you are doing and immediately sitting to meditate, create for yourself a little "wind down" ritual that gets you relaxed and ready for meditation. This can be something unique to you, that relaxes you.

Some different ways you could do this:
    - Dimming the lights, lighting some incense, and then laying down in bed for 5-10 minutes and just letting yourself relax. After you feel nice and relaxed, get into position and begin your meditation.
    - Sitting down and counting your breathing. Breathe in for a count of 5. Out for a count of 7. Keep doing this until you feel very relaxed and almost a little drowsy. At this point begin your meditation.
    - Listening first to a guided relaxation/guided meditation track, and then only after it finishes and you are extremely relaxed, do you begin your actual meditation.

This one act of actually getting yourself relaxed before you start meditating makes such a huge difference. When your mind is busy and you sit to meditate there is naturally a tendency to want to stop meditating as soon as possible. It's like being told to stand still in the same spot for an hour, just having that instruction causes your body to want to do everything but stand still. Meditation is the same.. but if you are relaxed, meditation just becomes a natural deepening of that relaxation, and becomes astoundingly easy. I've always found meditation to be difficult, but once I started getting myself relaxed beforehand it started to come naturally to me, and I've had some of my best and deepest meditation recently as a result. :)

7. hello good habits

I have not been able to complete the task and that's a shame, right now my mind is giving many excuses but I will definitely make it a habit.