1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

30 Day Healthy Food Challenge

Discussion in 'Events & Challenges' started by Philosophical_Dad, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Oh and I'll go for a run tomorrow, first thing in the morning. 1 hour minimum.
    That's a promise and I'll report about it tomorrow
    CU :)

EDIT: I did it! I went for a run for 1,5 hours early in the morning, during which I got lost in the woods :D
    Good start! But this matter belongs to the Exercise Challenge threat.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2020
    Philosophical_Dad likes this.
  2. One more post :D
    I just had a good idea for the treat day. I don't think a fixed treat day (like on wednesdays) is a good idea for me.
    The best way to spend my treat day would be for some kind of social event, I mean enjoying something sweet together with others. But if, for a whole week, no such opportunity should arise AND if I haven't used my treat day to satisfy an urge for sugar yet then I may treat myself on the last day of the week, on Sunday. Or I could as well skip treat day.

That's a good plan. But let's see how it will turn out

3. Philosophical_Dad

Philosophical_Dad Fapstronaut

These sound awesome! I'm kind of surprised about the free sugar in pickles. Is it added to the pickling solution?

New month, so starting over!

Didn't eat enough veggies yesterday. The day before I hit all my goals.

1/2

4. Philosophical_Dad

Yeah, great plan for treat day.

5. I think so. I'll have a look next time. Maybe it depends on the sort or even the country/culture. But I think pickles are still healthy, at least that's what I heard :D
    Thank you for your nice comment by the way!

This morning after exercising I went to buy groceries with an empty stomach. I struggled with some cravings and made the compromise to buy a dark chocolate spread and milk (but milk is ok). Unfortunately I ate too much of the spread, so it is a fail. But overall I ate quite healthy, a lot of vegetables and fruits and a bittersweet spread on slices of bread is much better than a package of cookies or milk chocolate.

I really enjoyed cooking after so much exercise (I ran 2,5 km today) and now I'm enjoying a good meal.
    I'm not completely pleased with myself. But to sum it up it was a good day and I'm happy and content now.
    Also I'm grateful for this new chance, the restart I do and for the new approach provided by this Challenge!

I'll stick to the plan as good as I will be and report soon again :)

6. I use a spreadsheet. With two columns for nutrition: sugar and alcohol
    (hm what about coffee and milk - together with sugar or in an extra column? Well I won't decide that today)

30 days without a fail isn't going to happen anytime soon. Well I could just make it happen but the odds are against me ..

7. Philosophical_Dad

Nice! Sounds like a healthy day, overall. When I buy groceries on an empty stomach, I usually end up eating a LOT of chips on the drive home.

2/3

icebreaker polarstern likes this.
  8. Philosophical_Dad

9. It goes well. But far from perfect.
    Sometimes I forget how healthy and simple my nutrition already is.
    I have basically two problematic behaviors:
    1. I buy sweets (often two or three packages) and eat it all in a short time (on my own)
    2. I eat sweets and drink coffee at my workplace where it is available most of the time
    Good behaviors that I do rarely:
    1. sharing food with others (enjoy together)
    2. eat only a few amount of sweets mindfully
    3. cook new recipies
    I need to find proper answers ...
    TBC
    but I will be off for some days
    Next time with a full report on the past days

CU :)

EDIT: There's something else that I wanted to say. I had drinks together with a friend on May the first. I decided that that should be the last time for me to drink alcohol. Because I have training goals and I think alcohol would be in my way, even a little. I don't drink often but I tend to drink a lot when I drink. This time it wasn't very much btw.
    So for how long? I didn't made up my mind before, but I think I should say: for the rest of the year. Maybe not on New Years Eve - that doesn't matter now. But it won't hurt me to live as a tea timer for the rest of the year.
    Yea, it's good to plan the winter already like that: a winter of sport and without drinking.
    Of course this also motivates me much more to eat healthier. Amazing!

Ok, I've made myself accountable. That's good. Thank you for reading!

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2020
  10. Ok it goes well with alcohol so far but wishy-washy with sweets. On two workdays I got on the caffeine hook again. But it's getting better with coffee.

Right now I'm drinking caffeine-free coffee with cardamom. It's really tasty I don't miss a thing. The same with beer: I had alcohol-free beer and I don't missed a thing.

11. Philosophical_Dad

Lots of good ideas. We seem to have very similar perspectives on food and its connection to social life. One area where we seem to differ is coffee. I just embrace my love of it! What do you think of this? https://www.bmj.com/content/359/bmj.j5024

I think I've generally been eating fine since I last checked in--I've mostly met my fruit and veggie goals. I've often met my water and sugar goals. And even when I didn't meet them, I wasn't too far off (e.g., probably 20g of sugar instead of 15). But since I didn't keep track, I don't get credit.

However, I'd like to keep better track of my goals. The goal I haven't been meeting is controlling my internet usage. The source of the problem is a Twitter obsession (I've started following a Covid-19 debate taking place there). I'm spending too much time on Twitter and checking it too often--it's significantly reducing my productivity, which increases my stress, interferes with my sleep, etc. Yesterday, my wife wanted to have sex with me but I avoided her and stayed in my home office because I couldn't stop thinking about how much of the day's work was still hanging over my head.

I'm going to try to remind myself about my screen time goals and my intentions for implementing them.

3/7

12. I'm not really worried about coffee. But I usually overconsume at my workplace. The idea is that I don't want to be dependent to it at all. But a cup now and then doesn't hurt of course.

I hope you will be able to implement your screen time rules and reduce your work-related stress, @Philosophical_Dad !

13. Everything going not so well. I did some exhausting exercise. And it's the right thing to have a break after such. I spended much time refueling with carbos, minerals and water. But then I ended up doing nothing else then listening to an audio book. My problem is, it's good, it's exiting and I don't like to quit in the middle of it. Obviously it would be a good idea to schedule it and so on, but that's not how I do things ...

Today I bought quite some sweet stuff. I also thought of buying a beer, so I had to remember myself of my intention. I thought how weird: alcohol is not allowed but chocolate and brownies are?
    But after all that's not so bad. Alcohol is much more toxic than sugar. And since I can abstain from alcohol much easier than from sugar, I'm actually lucky that it's not the other way round.

I want to emphasize here that my goal is not to live a (nearly) sugar free life. My goal is to learn more self-control so that I'll be better at doing what I want and what is good for me.

As I see it, it would make sense to abstain from most of the available sugary sweets. But that's just theory. In reality I'm a human as everyone else and what's most important is that I can be fairly happy and content - however chaotic and unrational my life might be from an objective pov.
    On the other hand it's worth to fight for some things and sometimes you have to do the seemingly impossible, or at least try.

One thing that goes well is training. I'm doing a lot of exercise these days. What's so cool about it that I don't need anyone for this and not even accountability. I'm just motivated to do it a lot and I keep pushing.
    But in the end, muscles alone isn't what I'm looking for. So ...
    But I also used the training that I did as justification for eating sweets.
    Once and for all: exercise doesn't make brownies healthy! Another thing is to eat something sugary during endurance sports - that makes sense OC! (I think it is maltrodextrin and fructose - anyway, NOT bad fats ...)

Btw I stopped keeping track of things. But today I'm going to get back to it.
    I'll grant myself another hour with that audio book. After that I'll clean my room.

14. I just read that again and want to comment. It's great that you met your goals "mostly or not too off". I understand, you didn't keep track of it a 100%. But still, it's an achievement! After all you have a diet there that's both healthy and pleasant.
    But I won't be in your way when you still want improvement ;)

15. Philosophical_Dad

Yeah, I'm no expert on this stuff, but I've read some of the scientific literature, and from what I've seen, trying to go completely sugar-free doesn't work for most people. People who try to do that are more likely to binge hard on sweets and end up eating more of them than people who try to limit their sweets to a moderate amount. So if you eat a small/moderate amount of sweets, you might be stopping yourself from binging. I don't know exactly what amount per day is ideal in this regard (10g? 20? 50? 100?) but just that trying to hold yourself to 0 refined sugar doesn't seem to be the way to go (for most of us).

And as we've been discussing, there can be a major social cost to eliminating sugar. (Not sure that's relevant to me anymore, with my face-to-face social life destroyed by Covid-19...)

4/8

16. Well "0 refined sugar" was never my goal since I can't avoid all the products with added sugars (like I told you about pickles). But in fact I always aim for "0 sweets". It's good to hear that from you again! I mean, I'm a little stubborn person. I would do it anyway, against all odds. But since I'm trying for so long now it's really best to listen to such advice.
    Yes, psychology play obviously a big role. And it's like a game. Let's not get too stiff and bullheaded about it.

17. It concerns me too. But to this day it have never been an issue for me. Maybe if I get stricter. But I rather want to make that experience than to always say yes.
    I can imagine that some day I will regrets being the one not drinking. But actually I'm looking forward to the experience of partying as a tea-totaler.

18. Back to the challenge
    Modifications / clarifications:

• In my spreadsheet I'll count seperately: sugar / coffee / alcohol(drugs). Fast food and milk don't need counting. And Milk sometimes is really not my problem
    • Stricter rules for a standard day: ONE treat of sugary sweets is allowed AS LONG as it happens in a social setting.
    • More treat days. I'll begin with 3 and on a treat day everything is allowed.
    Wow. I have a plan for my diet but it isn't very hard. That's something new! lol

Today was a treat day

1 / 7
    Treat days left: 2

19. Philosophical_Dad

20. I need a little time out. I mean from this forum.
    But I'll be back to report ... soon.