30 Days NoGluten/Sugar Challenge

Discussion in 'Nutrition and Supplements' started by StoicContemplation, Mar 20, 2021.

1. MindfulWarrior

MindfulWarrior Fapstronaut

I've got a recipe that allows me to have french fries which makes them no worse than your typical cooked potatoes, pretty handy!
    Slice the potatoes (I don't even bother removing the skin, it tastes good and less work), put them in a large bowl, pour 1.5/2 tablespoon of olive oil on top (optional: add paprika and a mixture of herbs) and mix it well so that they are all covered with oil, then put them on the oven tray, bake and add salt.

Day 2​

Woke up with the headache but it's gone now.

Had oatmeal and then during the day found myself quite hungry, so I got some random things: a mango, some ham, dinner was beans, lentils, veggies and eggs, then herbal tea and some 100% dark chocolate. I made sure dinner was quite large because I want to make sure I'm eating enough, although maybe it's the run from yesterday that made me more hungry. Worked out today too. Feeling good.

2. MindfulWarrior

Alright I woke up today and had my oatmeal but it tasted so bland and I don’t want to not enjoy my food I later decided to try to go for a balanced approach again just like I used to a few years back when I was eating very healthy and yet not restricting anything strictly. Lately I either was strict about my diet or feeling bad if I ate something I consider unhealthy. The idea is to strive for health while avoiding frustration but I have no idea if I can do that again right now, maybe I developed some issues related to food in the meantime, we’ll see, I’ll give feedback in a while or maybe come again to start again if I can’t control myself at all. Also I think the daily fast helped a lot in my prior attempt to help me enjoy my food, which I didn’t do this time.

3. StoicContemplation

StoicContemplation Fapstronaut

Day 6

Cheers for the recommendation @MindfulWarrior. I will try this out. The french fries of this restaurant also were fresh and still had their skin. They were fried though. It didn't entail a further slip up.

Yesterday I did a lot of bicycling and walking. I had a fish soup, anjovis, peca nuts, chicken for dinner, etc.

Last night I couldn't sleep and was very hungry (probably from the exercise). I had a banana and some nuts. There was also a severe craving for some comfort food, but I just drank a lot of water instead.

I didn't eat much today. Some fruit and made some eggs in the afternoon. I think that if I wasn't on this challenge I normally would have gone out and buy a pizza or something.

Withdrawal isn't as intense as last time but there is still that discomfort when I see bread/cookies laying around in the kitchen.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    MindfulWarrior likes this.
  4. StoicContemplation

Day 7

Unlike last time, there is no sense of bewilderment anymore concerning quitting sugar/gluten. Maybe the worse has yet to come but besides a craving/headache here and there, the struggle isn't that bad.

I had some eggs with advocado. I also ate a raw tomato and carrots to fill me up in the noon (better than bread).

I went to a Thai restaurant with my parents and had some Thai dishes with white rice. I guess white rice isn't "Paleo" but I don't mind. I even think it's a good thing not to be 100 % strict all the time, especially in the beginning in order to avoid a big shock to the system, what's important is that you don't slip back afterwards. I also had a small spring roll as a starter (they gave it spontaneaously). This has gluten but seeing this as 'breaking the streak' is unproductive. I went for a walk afterwards because I ate a bit too much. I didn't eat the cookies they servd with my tea though.

5. MindfulWarrior

Well here I am again, it's frightening to see how unbalanced I am right now when it comes to giving myself no barriers, I just tend to binge on unhealthy foods when it was not the case at all before. I think I could get back to normal where I can eat balanced but it would take a while. Also I'm not sure whether I'm okay with eating these foods, it'd be okay once in a while but I'm nowhere near that, maybe I should be strict for a long time and then I could get back to a healthy balance rather than the other way around. Anyway that's it for the rambling I think I was at my best every time I fasted daily and I'd like to speed up the healing process as much as possible which is not going to happen if I wait to re-balance by not having restrictions so I'm in for that. I'd really love my OCD especially and back pain to go away.

So here we go again, day 0.
    Daily fast, coffee, gluten, sugar, dairy.

6. MindfulWarrior

I didn't make it today. Making excuses when I wake up, truth is I'm not even hungry when I wake up it's straight up desires, cravings, and the kind of withdrawal from waking up, I feel off and need something to feel good.

I must remember this tomorrow morning, the pain is temporary, it's just withdrawal, especially first day, as usual.
    Just get up and go, don't think. I want to feel sober.

Day 0.

7. StoicContemplation

I failed on day 8. I had an accident on Tuesday in a slide at a swimming pool and I had to had a wound above my eye "glued'" by a doctor. I used this as an excuse to eat a cookie in order to comfort myself in the evening... this opened the door to binging on crackers, bread, etc. I won't expand on the stuff I ate. I told myself that today would be day 1 again but I ate spaghetti instead. And cookies. I'm back on the challenge again tomorrow!

Day 0

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
  8. StoicContemplation

Day 1

I only had a peach today besides dinner. For dinner I went to a restaurant and I had a beef and onion stew. French fries were served with this. I was pretty greedy with the french fries (with mayonnaise) and I even asked for more. But I walked a lot today and I also didn't eat anything during the day besides the peach, so it's not all that bad.

9. StoicContemplation

Day 2:

Had a bicycle trip to a city. I just had a tomato soup there (didn't eat the bread). When I got home I got some anjovis. I also made some buckwheat and I'm now making a bit more because I burned a lot of calories today. I had strong urges for bread today...

10. StoicContemplation

Day 5

Nothing special to mention. I went to a restaurant yesterday. I had carpaccio and a fish salad. There were french fries served and I did ate quite a lot. When there is bread on the table (which was served with my meals) then I can resist the urge to eat it but I'm not too strict with french fries. It's okay because I exercised yesterday and today. I'm for cold turkey but I think it's a good strategy to eat average quality food like french fries (fried that is) so you're not shocking the system. I'm going to be more vigilant when I'm in a restaurant next time.

Other than that, I'm eating buckwheat, fruit, etc. Tonight I will have a steak. I feel pretty good.

11. MindfulWarrior

Day 0

Here I am again. It's not going well, I wish I could just go with the balanced approach, like I used to before, but I can't anymore for some reason. My diet keeps deteriorating as long as I allow myself to indulge. The only way that seems to keep me sane is to go all-the-way, I keep coming back to this conclusion so I have to stick to it once and for all, to stop going back and forth and not going anywhere, but to see it through. Will need strength tomorrow, to push through that first day.

So same thing agaaaain:
    Gluten, sugar, dairy, coffee.

How are you doing @StoicContemplation?

12. StoicContemplation

Thanks for your post, MW.

I must say, it's definitely not a challenge for the fainthearted. The fact that you already made it to 20+ days once is very commendable. I'm confident that you can do this again, one day at a time. But you have to suffer. If you don't suffer, you're not changing. Embrace the withdrawal. Mouthwatering because you see your favorite snack in the grocery store? Good. You have a headache? Good.

I'm travelling now and normally it's quite the default to indulge in convenient food when you're abroad. I'm surrounded by all these snackbars, durum kebabs, bakeries, etc. But quite frankly, it's not compelling to loosen the screws. I just eat kind of minimalstic. I get some fruit, nuts, eggs, advocado, etc. and just eat it in my apartment. I start to feel more energetic and I look healthier, so I don't want to lose the momentum.

Good luck!

Day 9

13. MindfulWarrior

Absolutely, I've eaten clean much longer than that in the past too. But now's a different time, different challenges. I guess the suffering is part of it, as we leave addiction. Then we should get to a point when we actually truly do not desire to eat poor foods, because we've re-sensitized and because we truly want to care for ourselves, that's the goal!

Good luck abroad, it can get tricky especially if you're surrounded by other people, going minimalistic is definitely the way too go in that scenario, less hassle!

Day 1

Made it today, drank herbal teas, ate oatmeal, fish, french fries, an egg and 100% dark chocolate. Not the most nutritious day but tomorrow will be better.
    One symptom I have from eating poorly among many others is inflammation in the scalp, this is very annoying, that should go away within 10 days hopefully.

StoicContemplation likes this.
  14. StoicContemplation

Day 11

I moved to another city and found a small place where I can eat national dishes for a cheap price. I had some peppers filled with rice, eggplants with cheese, eggplants with tomato sauce, chicken kebab (no durum), ... Yesterday and today I ate it in the afternoon and had multiple dishes... It felt quite heavy I must say. I don't think it's too clean but it was good for variety. I overate but I'm walking a lot. I drank yerba mater afterwards as it's good for digestion.

This has nothing to do with this thread (it's helpful to write it down) but a few days ago I was in this lowkey bar with some people. Almost everybody was smoking inside and I smoked a few cigarettes (maybe 5) too and I regret doing that. Luckily I didn't drink that evening (there was pressure, I didn't even drink a tonic which is my usual go to drink but just sparkling water). I also didn't allow this little slip-up to entail picking up smoking again. I think it is harder to motivate yourself to eat healthy when you're neglecting one aspect of your health (e.g. smoking).

I also went to juice bars to get some fresh juice as a way to detox myself from the nicotine (red beets, carrots, green apple, ginger).

15. MindfulWarrior

Awesome! That you didn't throw everything out the window during that evening because you smoked. Juices are so good too! I actually just went shopping today to make a very large green juice.

As for myself I actually went two full days abstaining from the foods but it was no fun, I was depressed and didn't want to do anything I usually enjoy, no incentive to even get out of bed (never had that one). I could have sucked it up for a week until it got better but I didn't. Basically all the changes at once got my brain depressed, looked like it wasn't releasing any dopamine. I stuck to no-PMO though, and I still intend to change my diet but slowly, maybe just coffee first, then sugar etc. one thing at a time so my brain can adjust slowly instead of a full blown depression. I'm not saying this is the way, just what I'm opting for, but I still have the same goal. I'll update when I decide to remove a food from my diet, for now I'm focusing on no-PMO 30 days.

Hope your enjoying the traveling.

16. StoicContemplation

Thanks, MW. Hope you're doing well and maybe you'll pass by this thread again in the future!

Day 14

Haven't indulged in gluten/sugary foods. I went to other cities where it was a bit easier to get some traditional food. I had some Turkish food (stiffed peppers with rice, eggplant/tomato salads, etc.). I went out of my way to not eat the Turkish bread they served. Same for yesterday, I had lamb on Turkish bread. It was very hard not to eat the bread... Also this morning, had some poached eggs with guacamole in a restaurant. Served on a toast. I could taste the toast when I was scraping off the guacamole of it. Very close call because it was very tempting to eat the toast. Also had a salad with Balkan cheese.

17. Is it all cereal grains and/or all gluten that you seek to avoid? If not, consider some wheat alternatives (a good baker's dozen of them):

Rice
    Oats
    Corn/cornmeal
    Buckwheat (not a grain)
    Barley
    Sticky rice (glutinous rice)
    Millet
    Rye
    Kaniwa
    Quinoa (not a grain)
    Amaranth
    Sorghum
    Tapioca

If you had a grain mill attachment to a food processor, you could make flour of virtually any of these to use in flour-requiring recipes.

18. StoicContemplation

Day 20

Quick update. I'm still in a foreign country and haven't really indulged in gluten/sugary foods.

Maybe like a week ago I had some breaded chicken snacks (like these big chicken nuggets, I forgot the name of it) in a shisha bar. I also smoked cigarettes and this led to a smoking relapse but I corrected this slip-up after like 2 days.

I'm eating quite a lot of dairy really, namely Bulgarian yoghurt (which has a high probiotic content and makes me feel good). I also don't get out of my way to avoid dishes with cheese and white rice. I'm walking a lot and actually hit the gym and sauna yesterday. It's just a good thing that I don't have any interest anymore in things like pizza, pasta, bread, cookies, etc. I feel good.

19. StoicContemplation

Day 21

Yesterday I went to a restaurant with a friend and he recommended me a national snack as a starter. It was like a cheese ball covered in corn flakes (hard to believe it was a national speciality, anyway...). It was served with blueberry jam. Technically I ate the food that I try to avoid with this challenge but I'm not allowing this to open Pandora's Box, so it doesn't hurt (it's not that I enjoyed this snack that much, but the perfectionistic regret isn't that intense). As the main dish I had chicken with potatoes.

I also bought some pure peanut butter from a market yesterday. The salesman let me try the different nut pastes/butters he was selling. He then let me taste a paste that contained some brown sugar. I felt a bit like an alcoholic who took a sip of a drink (the taste of the sugar was intense!). But I didn't let the pefectionism take over.

I had breakfast in my hotel and I tried a little piece of a pastry dish that contains eggs, yoghurt and cheese. I just kept it with one and didn't allow myself to indulge further (didn't eat any bread). I had eggs, sausages and cheese (although it wasn't the best quality). I'm eating a lot of dairy. I eat a lot of yoghurt and I eat it with the peanut butter (the jar is already empty, I kind of 'snack' from the jar...).

So yeah not completely glutenfree but the point of this challenge is self-control and not perfection. I also did hiking in the mountains so it doesn't really matter that much.

20. MindfulWarrior

That cracked me up lol.

Yup, doesn't really matter if you eat 3g of sugar due to circumstances, the goal is health, not scrutiny...
    Keep it up.