1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

35 and Older Accountability Group

Discussion in 'Events & Challenges' started by artifact, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Commitment1

Commitment1 Fapstronaut

I have read the rules and would like to join this group

GottaBFree and Timber like this.
  2. Timber

Timber Fapstronaut

I’m working on Day 2 today.

I’m starting to hit mentally my previous realizations. They are coming back quickly and I’m grateful for that.

The main realization is that nofap is not a goal in and of itself. It can’t be and it won’t satisfy me apart from making me feel I have the will power not to PMO. Big. Effing. Deal.

so why do I do it? After a month of senseless wanking I remembered: I do it because it enables me to live sacrificially. By this I mean living to bring up the best in others, which is only possible if my SELF takes the back seat. I am having difficulty articulating this point because it is highly personal and highly religious. It is essentially the opposite of taking an eye for an eye, something that breaks the natural flow of cause and effect in human relationships. I think most inspiring characters in greatest pieces of literature embody this model. I think Matthew chapter 5 that I keep piping on about is based on this principle.

When I PMO, my focus is on how to gratify myself when there’s pressure and I feel uncomfortable. But pressures arise precisely when I am challenged to put the SELF in the back seat. If I pursue pleasure instead, it’s over, the magic is gone.

This is why I take the root of NOFAP. I’m so grateful for remembering this.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    artifact, discovery, NICEDUDE and 2 others like this.
  3. March was a bad month for me and another wake up call. I couldn't seem to get on track (we all know how that goes) but I've turned it around so far for April. I feel like I have some strength back and a bit of calmness. Can't see into the future but I know much of it will be decided by the present.

artifact, discovery, WilBil99 and 2 others like this.
  4. First book I though of when I read this was "A Tale of Two Cites"

GottaBFree and Timber like this.
  5. Nice work man. I think that's a sign that your brain is beginning to heal and normalize. Keep it going.

discovery, NICEDUDE and GottaBFree like this.
  6. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

Day 11 check in...(I’m planning to check in good bad or ugly)

Trying to keep the urgency to leave PM behind. I think good habits are protection.

If I swim in a sewer I’ll swallow crap sometimes and you are what you eat lol.

7. Commitment1

Commitment1 Fapstronaut

First full day. The beginning is the easy part, but I'm committed.

8. Timber

Timber Fapstronaut

Working on day 3. Slight urges but nothing crazy. Trying to get into the majesty of the Easter weekend... where I come from this holiday is bigger than Christmas!

artifact, discovery, NICEDUDE and 2 others like this.
  9. David2018

David2018 Fapstronaut

Bad day. Had a few good days but lost 3 hours to PMO today. And chatrooms.
    Going to make the rest of the day good.

artifact and discovery like this.
  10. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

It’s tough to get started. I’ve noticed that resetting your counter on the site ASAP helps and posting is great. It’s been taking me a few time to get restarted - enough that the group is probably really sick of me haha. Doesn’t matter. We are here to get better and whatever works.
    —-

Day 12 check in. I’ve started giving myself the pep talks about wanting to be PM free. You know the talks I’m sure...

“I don’t fap anymore. It’s just not something I do. I feel worse afterwards and it messes with chemistry in my brain. I want to be healthy and live a good life, so I don’t fap.”

I’m trying to not get overconfident or believe the rules don’t apply anymore. I don’t really have a full set of rules, but when I’m paying attention to what I need to do to stay PM free I know what they are haha.

artifact, discovery and WilBil99 like this.
  11. Timber

Timber Fapstronaut

Working on day 4!

all is well... enjoying the day with my eldest. He is a preschooler and everything he says is hilarious!

no urges!

12. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

Day 13 Check in... slept in yesterday. It’s a skill I had lost but have required. Last night I couldn’t fall asleep until 430. I could feel my brain a couple of times going.... “Aw yeah.... LETS DO THIS!!!” But I was like nah. I read and started working on a long forgotten hobby. Tired but not at all grouchy with the kids on Easter. Way worth it to leave PM behind.

I’m ahead of where I was in other streaks. I like my focus and I’m feeling clear minded already. I just need to remind myself this is important and I never have small slip ups. It’s simple on the daily stuff.

I also need to be ready for what I call “storm days”. I’m still not sure how to get through those. They have ended some of my shorter streaks and what I considered my long ones last year (61 days was the longest - long for me lol). It’s time to figure out storms too will pass and leave PM behind!

13. discovery

discovery Fapstronaut

Good stuff. https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/05/world/old-hobbies-quarantine-coronavirus-wellness-trnd/index.html

GottaBFree likes this.
  14. Checking in. Feeling good today. I've been working only two days a week, due to cutbacks in hours at work. They are still paying us for full time work, so money is not an issue at the moment. On weekdays that I don't work I've been following my normal workday routine: getting up early, eating some healthy food, and working on things I want to get done. It has helped to keep my spirits up. Grateful to have made it through the long Easter weekend without PM. Feeling back on track, like maybe the stress from the virus situation has maxed out and I'm starting to adapt to the uncertainty a little. Hope you are all doing well.

15. The group is full at the moment, but I will add you to the waiting list. We may have a spot for you in the next couple of weeks.

JJ_Kino likes this.
  16. David2018

David2018 Fapstronaut

Today was much better. Had a great Sunday with my family doing things I wanted to do. Thankful for today.

discovery, JJ_Kino, Timber and 2 others like this.
  17. Timber

Timber Fapstronaut

Good time of day to you!

I’m working on day 5. My wife opened up yesterday about how much this uncertainty and social distancing is affecting her mental health. She needs her social connections but isn’t getting them nearly to the same degree and is feeling exhausted and empty. She feels like she is failing our kids.

it was one of those hard conversations that take a lot of out you. The temptation to “fuel up” on PMO quickly is definitely present, but I know it does not fulfill me, but just makes me forget. I’m not taking the pleasure pill today.

stay strong, friends!

18. brtiger83

brtiger83 Fapstronaut

I have read the rules and would like to join this group.

Made it through my 1st week with no PM. Seeking a village to support me through this.

WilBil99, artifact, discovery and 3 others like this.
  19. JJ_Kino

JJ_Kino Fapstronaut

14 days in and feeling good.

WilBil99, artifact, discovery and 2 others like this.
  20. Almost 2 strong weeks now. I feel good and have not had too many strong urges. It's always nice to have some easier periods of time - it makes me feel like my brain is healing, but I know there will still be plenty of tough days ahead. GottaBfree calls them "storm days" which seems fitting to me. Stay at it guys.