1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

35 and Older Accountability Group

Discussion in 'Events & Challenges' started by artifact, Nov 24, 2018.

1. discovery

discovery Fapstronaut

Timber, you may want to watch this with your wife.

Dr. Laurie Santos hosted a Facebook Live Q&A to help us all find ways to cope and process. The video covers the following topics:

• Reducing tension in a relationship while sheltering in place (1:11)
    • Consuming news without increasing anxiety (3:24)
    • Supporting healthcare workers and helping them prioritize self-care (5:19)
    • Remaining positive when living alone (8:51)
    • Staying focused and productive at work (10:36)
    • Finding your next career or job if you’ve been laid off (12:47)
    • Helping children who are struggling without their usual routine or friends (15:00)
    • Creating positive experiences while in lockdown (18:26)
    • Sleeping better, despite increased anxiety and stress (20:48)
    • Coping if loved ones test positive for COVID-19 (23:57)
    • Spreading kindness or making social connections while isolated (26:32)

Timber, JJ_Kino and GottaBFree like this.
  2. discovery

discovery Fapstronaut

Since I'm on the subject, I discovered this last week. It is a free online course offered by Yale University (yes, that obscure and little known place) on how to achieve happiness. It is fascinating and a real eye opener. The professor is Dr. Santos above. She originally started this course on-campus to Yale students, and it has since become THE most popular course ever offered in Yale's 300+ year history.

It is offered through Coursera. You will need to register (for free) but past that there is no commitment. They try to bait you into paying 50 bucks to take it as a course where you will take tests, write essays, get a grade and an official certificate in the end, but it is unnecessary. You can just get the input at your own pace and do the exercises on your own for free. I'm loving it. Go ahead and check it out.

https://www.coursera.org/learn/the-science-of-well-being?

3. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

Hey look at that. 2 weeks!

Feeling hopeful and good. No real urges. When I get a little daylight from PM it seems absolutely insane I ever had anything to do with it. I hope I can bring that knowledge with me when the “storm days” come.

On the stress side... I took a big pay cut and lost some paid vacation days. I’ll take that over a loved one being sick, but I’m ready for this virus to move along lol. I’ll be able to absorb this one. I think PM jacks with my brain chemistry. I haven’t worried about something I can’t control like a I normally would.

discovery, NICEDUDE, WilBil99 and 3 others like this.
  4. The group is currently full but I have added you to the waiting list. We may have an opening for you in a couple of weeks.

JJ_Kino and brtiger83 like this.
  5. Timber

Timber Fapstronaut

Thanks, @discovery! I heard about the course and will check out the video.

Next few days promise to be stressful and will probably be a bit stormy. It should be fun! :)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    JJ_Kino, discovery and GottaBFree like this.
  6. hyperspeeds33

hyperspeeds33 New Fapstronaut

Hi, I’d like to join the group. Will you please add me to the waiting list??

JJ_Kino and GottaBFree like this.
  7. David2018

David2018 Fapstronaut

Restarting again......I've got to stop.

JJ_Kino, NICEDUDE and GottaBFree like this.
  8. David2018

David2018 Fapstronaut

I intentionally took a job in an office instead of working from home because I knew it would keep me off pmo...but now I have to work from home like everyone else. What a mess.

9. JJ_Kino

JJ_Kino Fapstronaut

As GottaBFree mentioned before regarding "Storm Days" well I had one this morning and the urge was really intense.

I am feeling positive though and can feel there is a light at the end of this tunnel that we're all in, I am just praying that the time comes soon where no PMO becomes second nature to us all and we just forget about it.

10. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

That’s such a huge win. Congrats on getting through.

Day 15 and no storms yet. I’m not looking for a fight. I’d be cool never to face one again... but I’m sure I will.

WilBil99, discovery and JJ_Kino like this.
  11. JJ_Kino

JJ_Kino Fapstronaut

Thanks dude, gonna try cold showers as well as I am sure that's what got me through these storms in the past.

Congrats on 15 days as well, let's keep this up.

Keep strong everyone!

WilBil99, discovery and GottaBFree like this.
  12. Jerky

Jerky Fapstronaut

Just checking in. Starting to feel better.

13. Please read the rules at the beginning of this thread.

JJ_Kino likes this.
  14. David2018

David2018 Fapstronaut

Argggg....resetting again. Still have my old habbits. Probably spent about 5 hours with PMO today.

JJ_Kino and NICEDUDE like this.
  15. Timber

Timber Fapstronaut

sorry to hear about that. It’s been a rough transition for everyone. I think there needs to be room to adjust and to fail in this crazy COVID world.

This is also a good time to develop a new routine for your day. I don’t know about your previous streaks and what motivated you to stay PMO free for long, but if you are just starting out, you are in the “grind it out” stage ... you just need to drag yourself through the day, meditate, pray, work out, take cold showers, read, build a dresser, learn to play mandolin, practice your Finnish - just get good routines going to fill your day!

16. Timber

Timber Fapstronaut

Working on day 7... and in the middle of a very stressful week at work. The temptation to release pressure is HUGE and my mind automatically turns to M.

I am working on transforming this energy into something creative and positive. Anxiety is good if it is channelled into something productive. Right?

17. Circleinthesquare

Circleinthesquare Fapstronaut

Been out the loop recently - the CV has messed up the days and the routines and its just too easy to PM whenver the urge comes. Still now on day 1 and feeling a little more focussed.

18. emanuel_free

emanuel_free Fapstronaut

Hey there guys happy to get to 2 weeks and soon on to the top 10 ranking here !

Don't give up on this days of being locked up, let's avoid getting locked up on a PMO prison!

artifact, JJ_Kino, WilBil99 and 3 others like this.
  19. David2018

David2018 Fapstronaut

That's great. I cant' wait to get to 1 week. Even making it to 2pm today feels like an accomplishment. I got more done at work than I do in 2 days typically. Not splitting my attention.

20. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

Day 16...

Reading up on stuff... I hit a link to this page on the forum. Seemed a little better of a technical description than “storms” lol.

PAWS- Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms. I’m still calling this crap a storm though lol.

I’ll post the is the link if anyone is interested. I found a quick read on the topic helpful.

https://www.addictionsandrecovery.org/post-acute-withdrawal.htm

discovery and JJ_Kino like this.