1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

4 Exercises that reduced my wet dreams/noctural emissions frequency (long with tldr)

Discussion in 'Abstinence, Retention, and Sexual Transmutation' started by Breach, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Breach

Breach Fapstronaut

TLDR;
    These have all been recommended one place or another as effective exercises for either nofap, or sexual transmutation, or decreasing noctural emissions frequency. Don't try all at once to begin with and you don't have to do all of them for benefitial effects either. Based on my personal experience the first link was VERY effective and the one I recommend the most. If you're only going to do one do that one. Takes a few mins a day at the most.

Disclaimer
    : I'm not an expert in any of the topics mentioned below, like yoga or qi gong, however I feel like doing this stuff helped me in my journey and wanted to share them here again (they've all been mentioned here at some point) hoping that they might help others or at the very least generate a healthy, constructive discussion around the topic. So do at your own risk, YMMW etc...
    Note that all these exercises work your pelvic floor area in some way as well, so as with all new exercise forms, start out gently and feel your way forward. Don't start doing them all for maxreps at day1 basically.

Also, I know that there are different views regarding noctural emissions and their potential causes and effects. Some might prefer them as a way to release tension whilst other see it as energy loss etc. I take no stance for/against any view as I am still a student in this topic, but this post is made with the assumption that the reader has a desire to reduce their emission frequency for whatever reason.

Background about me (skippable reading): I started nofap 2years ago, with my other 2 big streaks being one of ~45 days and one of 81 days, the latter of which ended after I spiralled after a wet dream, which until then had been my only nofap related one. I think I was too "depleted" until my current streak to actually get regular wet dreams.

It was actually very exciting for me in a way when I started getting them regularly, since I took it as a sign of healing and recovery, and a new step in the nofap journey.

My current streak started with about 7+ wet dreams in a 40 day period. The highlight of which was when I one night only slept 1 hour due to an exam and then when I went to bed the night after the exam I had 3 wet dreams during the same sleep...as in I woke up 3 different times due to an emissions in a period shorter than a day lol. During this period I also exercised Wim Hof breathing and started going to tai chi classes, but did not find them very effective for combatting noctural emissions, though they have other benefits :).

Around day 40 I started getting into these exercises (not all at once) and since then I've only had 2 wet dreams, one I was able to wake up in time and "hold in", which I'm not entirely sure is healthy so I don't necessarily recommend that lol.

I am not sure how much effect each of them have had as I started doing them during the same ~40 day period. The exception is the qigong kidney exercise, I started out with that one and it immediatly reduced my emissions frequency drastically.

The other was when I woke up during the night not even immediately realizing that I had an emission as I usually do, and the volume of the incident was waay less than normally. Pea sized emission basically and I could not remember any "pumping" feeling that one usually feels when ejaculating.

Qigong Kidney Exercise

Tutorial link

The recommendation for this one came from the translated version of 6 years clean: rebooting as the best remedy. It is a chinese nofap book written by user Soaring Eagle in which he details his experiences and knowledge about a successful reboot. While it's not being actively translated anymore, there is already a lot of material translated by HMHU that makes for very interesting reading about both nofap as a standalone subject and its relation to chinese thought and traditions. Chapter 3 of this book deals with the qi gong exercise for the kidneys and its benefits. Some related excerpts below, although I recommend reading the entire chapter and eventually the book.

[...]
    Out of the 4 this is by far the one I recommend the most. It is a very simple exercise that you can do daily and I attribute a lot of my sucess to this one. There was a period following day 40 when I only performed this exercise out of the 4 and suddenly my noctural emissions frequency reduced drastically.
    There are many variations of this exercise on youtube. The one I posted however is the one I do myself and was recommended somewhere on this forums a while ago.
    In the video there is recommendations for sets and reps. I personally currently do it for around about 3 "bends" a day with ~4-8 twists in each and ~2-6 of the finishing side to side stretch.
    Additionally, I noticed that based on the shifting of the weight on your feet and hip placement, one can feel this a fair bit in the pelvic floor and genital area, almost like a contraction. To me this seems like the best way to perform it, altough I have nothing to corroborate this as of now.

This exercise only takes a few minutes at most and is part of an exercise system known as the 8 brocades. It might be a good idea to eventually down the line learn and perform the rest of the 8 brocades movements. However for now, I've had great success with just this one.

5(6) Tibetian Rites

Link to 5 rites tutorial (only first 10 minutes, the rest is repetition etc)

A fellow user on this forum recommended these a while back. It is a full system of stretches, said to have miraculous effects. This article, written by a cardiologist, discusses the systems benefits from a western medicine/science standpoint. While the title says 5 rites, there is a 6th exercise recommended only for the celibate. During the breath retention part of exercise 6, I notice sort of an automatic contraction happening in my pelvic and genital area, as if its trying to "pump upwards".

When inhaling after the breath hold, I press my tongue to the roof of my mouth and try to imagine the energy moving upwards from my perinium to my head, and then down again as I exhale. This is just my own addition based on related stuff I've read elsewhere, God knows as to whether or not it's a good idea or not lol.

It is probably a good idea to do the entire system as prescribed, and not only the 6th exercise. The system/video comes with a built in progression starting with 3 reps daily of each exercise building up to 21 reps after 10 weeks. Note however that the 6th exercise should always only be done for 3 reps daily, even as you gradually increase the first 5 in reps. If you are short on time, it is far better to just do 3 reps daily of the 6 exercises rather than skipping a day!

These were first popularized in the west via a 1939 book called The Eye of the Revelation by Peter Kelder. A google search for eye of the revelation pdf should lead to a download link for those interested in reading it, I haven't gotten to it just yet.

Horse Stance (Wim Hof Variation)

Link to Wim Hof performing the exercise

The above quote is from Soaring Eagle and the book mentioned in the Qigong section earlier. I've also read on a few other places online about the benefits of this exercise when it comes to sexual energy. It is also a good exercise for strengthening the pelvic floor. This article details some of its benefits, note especially points 4 and 7.

I learnt how to perform this via the Wim Hof Fundementals course, where it is practiced as a way to heat up the body and I sometimes do it after cold exposure to get back to normal. The video I learnt it from is not freely avaible, thus the one I linked was just the first video I found with Wim in it and has no tutorial, so just pick the first good tutorial on it that you find and go nuts :D

So far I usually do this for a couple of minutes up to 7mins a few times a week. Start out gently and for a very short period of time and ease into longer sessions gradually. As always be patient :)

Kegels & Reverse Kegels

Trigger warning: This exercise imo is the most potentially "triggering" of the 4 as it involves you actively contracting and releasing/pushing in the area around your genitals. Please use your own best judgement about whether or not you should perform it. The above 3 exercises are plenty enough so you will not be missing out :)

Link kegels tutorial
    Link reverse kegels tutorial

Warning 2: The following reddit link is from the subreddit r/s*x and has some potentially triggering material relating to s*x and MO. Please use your own best judgement about whether or not you should read it.

The most "western" one of the exercises, kegels and their reverse variant are commonly recommended exercises to strengthen and gain more control of the pelvic floor area. They are also recommended for people suffering from premature ejaculation.

This reddit post has detailed text-based tutorials on the exercises, general information regarding them and their benefits, and the reddit OP's personal success with them.

In my personal experience it is best to start doing these very conservatively and care not to contract or push too hard to begin with. A lot of the online recommendations regarding reps/sets are imo too much too soon. I still only do a couple of these a day, a few days a week, and each rep only for a few seconds. You don't wanna start too aggressively with these as it might lead to pain and discomfort in the genital area. Be patient and feel your way forward over a longer period of time.

On a side note, doing kegels and r-kegels often makes me feel "heat" in my perinium area. I am not sure if this is some energy transmutation effect or not, as I've somehwere previously read something about sexual energy feeling like heat. Will be interested to hear if anyone has any ideas/thoughts on this :)

Final notes

Thanks for reading. Hope this helps someone, or at least nudges them in the right direction of finding more related stuff to help them out. Good luck all on your nofap journeys! :)

A P likes this.
  2. ShowProof

ShowProof Fapstronaut

Hmmm, that wim hoff stuff is cultish as hell. And that is not ma bu at all. Just a cult action. £$,$$$,$$$.$$

3. A P

A P New Fapstronaut

I know a lot of people say that wet dreams are normal and healthy, but they are not talking about experiencing 4 a week. Between 2012 and 2018 I was having probably around 70 - 90 wet dreams a year. It was pretty overwhelming and demoralising. These last couple of years it's gone down a lot, depending on how much I'm working on the things I'm going to write about here.

This post is for the minority of people who have WD very often. It is hard to explain this to the majority. Having wet dreams every few days, over many months, into many years, takes a toll on your ability to function, especially in more complex creative situations. It's not the kind of thing you can just accept and ignore. Fortunately, there are some legit scientific principles which help, as follows.

Although at first it seems like an unconscious thing beyond our control, the behaviours that trigger it are actually during the day, while you are awake.

Fundamentally it's to do with the balance between sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system. Ejaculating is triggered by the sympathetic NS. Certain phases of sleep also involve SNS activation. In case you don't know, this is the 'fight or flight' response, also known as arousal. If you can get your parasympathetic nervous system more active than your sympathetic, then you'll make it through the night OK.

To really activate the parasympathetic NS, it is important to look at the whole day, rather than just the 20 minutes before bed. It's possible to activate the parasympathetic NS enough to fall asleep, but if your sympathovagal balance is too high, then once you hit REM sleep you are likely to have a wet dream.

Things that really activate the PNS, beyond short term things like a bath, breathing exercises etc, include: having a strong emotional connection with people, being able to speak your truth, and having it heard, making up solidly after disagreements, being restful together. 'Exposure' type experiences, allowing for uncertainty and surprise, then finding solid ground again. Making eye contact. There's a kind of calm, mature, present feeling, once the sympathovagal balance is about right. Breathing deep and slow, a sense of ease, presence, being in the here and now. You'll notice your cravings in general go down.

It's also important to look at purely physical things, during the day as a whole. Are you nose breathing or mouth breathing? How stable is your gaze? Do your eyes dart around a lot or can you keep them steady? Has your stare has become very intense? Can you soften your eyes and lips? Do you properly breathe while you eat, or wolf down food while holding your breath? Do you feel your feet on the ground? Is your forehead wrinkled and tense?

In terms of getting jacked up, if you invert the above list, then you are likely making the SNS become active. It's OK for a while, but you need to be able to bring it back down. Here are a few common WD triggers to watch out for.

Unresolved conflicts, coffee, hunger, social media, repressing feelings, over-thinking (rumination) or similar compulsive behaviour. Counterintuitively, being very avoidant, i.e. not wanting to experience a sensation or emotion, this really activates your SNS! Inhibition actually takes a lot of energy. It's better to go for it, bump along, surf it, as this ultimately cultivates far better sympathovagal balance - similar to how the rupture and repair of exercise eventually gives us a lower resting heart rate and sense of calm.

One thing here. Feeling kind of exhausted, without energy, wanting to collapse and isolate - like, full on cravings to lie in bed and watch YouTube - this is a sign that you are supercharged emotionally, very SNS active. It's a very aroused state, despite the lethargy! I used to notice that I'd have a WD after evenings where I collapsed in bed at 7pm and left my clothes on a pile on the floor. All that 'tired energy' was actually rage or frustration that I was trying to inhibit.

If you've had a WD, especially if you have a few in a row, just jump up, get down to the gym, keep putting short term plans in the diary, see people, keep strengthening that sympathovagal balance. Put your focus on actions, even if they seem quite arbitrary, especially social actions. The face + eyes part of the nervous system, getting into the body, energy in motion.

Once you get a streak going, it's important to stay in touch with your PNS, especially at key moments in the day - afternoon and evening in particular. It's kind of like "dipping in" for a moment or longer. As you may know, on day 7 after ejaculating, men get a huge surge in hormones, and again after another week or two. Hubris easily grows too, and if you let yourself get very SNS dominant, boom, back you go into the cycle.

Fundamentally it's a matter of finding your way into challenging situations, while getting more experienced and confident steering your nervous system.

If this message helps one other person, I am glad. My God, this is a strange and weird situation to be in! I am with you!!

Last edited: May 26, 2023
    Sapiens, Lob and calpoop like this.