1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

A book recommendation for the men on here

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by thegeneral, Jun 5, 2021.

1. thegeneral

thegeneral Fapstronaut

Check out Meditations of Marcus Aurelius. It will help you become more masculine in your life and relationships. It helped me. Learning how to be more stoic is good for you and your girlfriend/wife too! Jump on this guys.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    ivanhoe and finite like this.
  2. Be careful with this stuff. It led person dear to me to suppress his emotions so he ended in psychologist trying to figure out why he is not happy and don't feel joy. Now he is retraining his stoic patterns to come back to feelings.

I personally read it and have a book, which is useful container of good insights, but I wouldn't let anyone to grow emotionally mature masculinity along with this book.

finite likes this.
  3. finite

finite Fapstronaut

Thanks for that warning, @MeTP .

I'm sure that this suggestion can be very useful to some, for one aspect, while perhaps less useful to others who need more of a different area of growth before having need for this. It's often a matter of where an individual is in their development as a person to determine how beneficial a philosophy could be for them.

ivanhoe likes this.
  4. Sorry to hear that, but it sounds like he didn't read the stoics properly. This is a common misconception about the stoics- grim faced Vulcans. But it is not true. They would openly weep at the loss of a loved one for example and recognize their emotions as natural. It was the dwelling on them they abhorred - adding misery to your misery, or for example, to simply recognize that the nature of things and that helps with emotional management.

I would suggest to reading additional stoic tests- remember Aurelius was only noting what was relevant to himself - there are also some books that update or augment stoic thought with modern CBT and modern psychology

5. thegeneral

thegeneral Fapstronaut

If you read the book, Aurelius says not to suppress emotions, but to accept them as natural. Just don't let them become part of your ruling part, and don't be vexed by them.

ivanhoe likes this.