1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

A Dead Relationship, or a Unique Situation?

Discussion in 'Dating during a Reboot' started by RebootingProtestant, Nov 16, 2019.

1. RebootingProtestant

RebootingProtestant Fapstronaut

I apologize in advance because I didn't find a category for relationship advice, so I figured this was the closes thing. I will be telling the story of me and my present girlfriend (without any triggers) in order to give context for my question.
    It all started during the fateful summer of 2018. I was going on a mission trip with my church like I do every year. I was hoping that this year would be a year of healing for me, as I was recovering from an awful period of severe self harm and depression because of everything that happened in my senior year of high school. I wasn't looking for a relationship, and I was honestly just happy to be there helping out and serving the Lord. For this particular mission trip, we were in a government project community, holding a vacation Bible school for the kids there. The only problem was that none of our curriculum made it to the mission site due to a logistical mix up. This turned out for good though, because we still had lots of toys/basketballs and coolers with snacks, and we just took a few days just to give these kids some attention and fun that they desperately were lacking.
    At the time, I had just graduated from high school and like I said, I was in recovery. I was just living life and feeling alright without any major depressive issues. I had no expectations for a relationship, but that's when I met her. We were playing "dinosaur" with the kids and we were giving them piggy back rides and running around in this big open field just adjacent to the project community. Those sacred moments will be immortalized in my memory forever. Little did I know that while sweating profusely for Jesus, I would meet the girl who was about to change my life in a way I would never had imagined.
    When I first saw her, my heart skipped a beat. She was literally the prettiest girl in the whole youth group, and I was so nervous to talk to her. My feet froze and my hands felt heavy like they were encased on cinder blocks. It was at this point, that I remembered this one weird movie I saw a long time ago where the dad of these kids told them that they just needed something like "10 seconds of bravery." For some reason, I decided to talk to her and I went up and said to her "Hey there, I know that I've seen you around the youth group, but I don't think I know you. I'm *OP*." She gave me a small smile and told me her name and we talked for a bit while taking a break from giving "dinosaur rides." For the rest of the trip, we continued talking and got pretty friendly. She was so goofy and full of joy, but also intelligent and observant. And she had the most beautiful smile. Even now, I look back and remember her radiant smile that really lit up the room. At the time, she was interested in a person who would inevitably ghost her, but like I said, that didn't bother me, because I was just happy to have a new friend. At the end of the trip, she gave me this "encouragement card" in which she gave me her snapchat and ig and from there, we started talking, like a lot. I found that we were a lot alike, and I got to know her on a really personal level, and she got to know me, but we were still just friends.
    I don't know what changed, but one day, she asked me to go see her perform a community band performance that fall. (she was drum major at the time) It was about 15 degrees where we lived, but I still wanted to go see her. I didn't wanna go alone so I asked my hungover best friend who reluctantly went with me for some reason. I drove him to the community performance, but he wanted to stay in my car where it was warm. He gave me his rum scented coat to put over my own and I went out into the cold. As I froze my booty off on those high school bleachers, I saw her all bundled up doing the metronome(whatever that is) wayyyy in the back. I couldn't stop smiling when I saw her. Time passed and I listened to the band play and about halfway through, I realized something. Sitting in the rumsained coat, freezing cold, I realized that I like this girl. I couldn't shake the feeling that I wouldn't be there unless she was super special to me. I wrestled with that until they finished their last song and she gave me a little wave when they were all going back inside. I left that campus changed.
    I felt such strong vibes from her in the coming weeks, and we had always been talking about what we think about dating and how messed up people are today and how they only want sex. She was so quick to reply, and I could tell that she had some genuine interest in me too. We both knew that we liked each-other but it wasn't until January 5th that we finally made it official. We had our first kiss while watching the greatest showman. It was so awful because neither of us knew how to kiss, but there's always a first for everything, I suppose. We hit it off and began hanging out regularly, going on dates and enjoying each other's company. She was patient with me, because I had never dated anyone who wasn't abusive before. In turn, I tried my best to make her happy and be there for her. We both were loving life. I was feeling happy for once. I had ceased my depression entirely. I was free. I was living. I was happy. One night, we were driving and she told me that she wanted to have a shpeal night, where we talk about the deep stuff and things we have gone through and things we were going through. We pulled into a parking lot that we sometimes go to just to hang out and she began talking about the pain she had been through. I won't spill all the details, but to put it shortly, she had dated a guy who had been abusive and a jerk to her, and really messed her up. That was understandable because the world is full of horrible people. However, what really threw me off was the condition she has. She told me about her condition called trichotillomania. (probably not spelling that right) It causes he to pull out her own hair. I was devastated to hear of this. I questioned why she was the one to have to go through this, but I listened to her struggles and what she had been through, and in turn, I told her about my history of self harm and depression. She listened, but the crazy part was that she didn't judge me. She didn't turn me away or call me a freak. She loved me despite my problems. And I, in turn, loved her just the same, despite what loving her would mean. It would mean messy mental health days, lots of pain on her behalf, but I was (and still am) willing to accept that. I wasn't going to give up. I wasn't going to admit defeat. I made her a promise that night. I promised that I was going to love her despite the difficulties and despite the pain.
    After this, we went home and continued our relationship as normal but now with more understanding. We continued for almost a year and we are still going to this day. We've had our highs and lows, but we've stayed together for a little over 10 months. However, she has gone through hell since this fall hit. Her hair pulling got so bad she had to shave her head. She got intensely depressed. She even went to the hospital because her parents feared she would end it all or hurt herself. She is so strong, but has been left numb by life. That same quirky, funny, intelligent, loving, and loyal young woman I once knew is somewhere inside her, but I fear that nobody but the Lord Himself can bring her back out. Our relationship has suffered because she is just so apathetic to everything. She hates school. She hates her house. She hates pretty much everything that isn't her bed. She is so distant. She leave me on read when I say "I love you." To say the fire is gone is an understatement. I am at a loss. She is a shell of what she was in the past. She has given up on all her hobbies, and lacks the motivation to do anything anymore. She's going to a rehabilitation camp for 6-10 months and I've already agreed to wait for her because I love her, but I don't know if she'll make it that long.
    Right now, I'm trying to keep myself together because it is torture to see someone you love so much, go through the lowest point in their life. She is barely hanging on. Her parents are completely at a loss as well, and nobody knows what to do except pray. She has been the apple of my eye for the past 10 months and I love her dearly, with all my heart. I just want her to be happy, like when we were playing dinosaur, or any of those times in between where we laughed until we cried or when we went on adventures into the city and tried new things just for the heck of it. We have had so many good times, and although they are gone and in the past, I wish for them back. I wish for her to be well. I hope and pray for her sanity, and love her through the pain. Whatever happens, I am not giving up. Most people would have left a long time ago, but I want to be there for her while she recovers. She's my best friend and lover, and I can't bear to see her like this, but I will endure.
    I had an original intent with this thread but for the life of me, I cannot figure out what it was. There's something about recounting my current situation that evokes a forgetfulness in me. Anyways, if you guys have any thoughts, comments, or advice, I'd really appreciate the input.

RandomStrangerOnEarth likes this.
  2. w95chris

w95chris Fapstronaut

Well that was a long read but an interesting one. That I do admit.

You are deeply in love with her and there's no question about it. You had some highs and lows but you came out stronger than this. Now you have to wait for her and stay in touch with her to let her know that you are still there and will be still for her when she leaves the rehabilitation camp. I don't have any experience with rehabilitation camps but it is good that she got in there to help herself because these things are hard to deal with.

Now on your end you must be patient and have faith that she will get out of there a winner and you are in the right place as far as the relationship goes. So this is not a dead relationship, far from it. This is a relationship that has been through the thick and thin and still came out stronger. So do not make a mistake by proclaiming it dead and walking away. You would be shooting yourself in the foot with a 12 gauge shotgun (ouch!). Furthermore you should try your best to make your life as healthy as possible so you can be a good example for her and for yourself of course. In that way both of you will be able to put it all behind you and move on towards a better future

So to summarize: Have faith, be patient and live a healthy lifestyle for you both to look towards a brighter future

You've got a truly unique relationship that is hard to find and you made the right choice to hold it tight and take care of it. Keep improving and better days will come. It might be dark now but sometimes we need those dark days to appreciate the sun

3. skibum71

skibum71 Fapstronaut

Sorry to hear this. And good for you that you are standing by her.
    Is she on anti depressant medication? If not, she should be, absolutely. If she IS on medication, then clearly its not working, and it should be changed.
    Good luck.

4. klaris

klaris Fapstronaut

it was very interesting to read your story. it’s good that there is such love! take care of each other and be happy!

olsen likes this.