1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

A Lot of Philosophers in Here

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Optimum Fortitude, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Is it just me or are there a lot of people on here who are genuinely interested in deep, fundamental questions and who genuinely work at self-improving themselves and self-realization?

I mean, I am rather a social person IRL but I found extremely few people actually want to think about questions such as the meaning of life, the meaning of sexuality, talk about abstract notions and how to redefine themselves.

Could it be that what made us fall into PMO compulsion patterns are what paradoxically make us question ourselves and want to improve ourselves? I don't know why but I have the feeling there is a connection between those two things, and that succesfull recovering people share the trait of turning the energy of their weakness into a strength.

thinking_differently and r8js like this.
  2. Awedouble

Awedouble Fapstronaut

A big part of it is probably just people talk about it online more than they do offline because of what you pointed out. Even if you're interested in these things there's reason to assume a lot of people are not in casual conversation and you probably don't want to stick out like a sore thumb, besides it's like where do you start?

I'm not sure about it being the same thing that makes us fall into PMO compulsion, I guess on one level like just with curiosity - that's more the philosophical side than the self improvement side. I do think being interested in ourselves and what makes us tick is different than just kind of doing something for self improvement though, since people could just accept what a self-help book says and follow the program and get results. The fact that people frame whether NoFap "works" or not kind of implies this kind of limited view. But being curious about ourselves is a good combination, because it's not just a mental interest in philosophy since we will inevitably experiment and try different things to see what we can do to change.

r8js likes this.