1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

A new dating system?

Discussion in 'Dating during a Reboot' started by Deleted Account, Sep 8, 2018.

1. I have always wondered why people engage in sexual activity while dating, if you consider dating an "evaluation" phase of a relationship, it means that you aren't sure if you are ready to love them yet.
    I think most people would agree with me that dating is for the purpose of finding a spouse, so it would logically follow for someone to refrain from expressing their love through sex, until they are absolutely sure they want to love that person and be together/get married.
    So why is it that people engage in sex and sexual activity (kissing, oral, etc.) before they know how the relationship will end?
    It doesn't seem logical to me that sex should be part of the evaluation. If you really love someone, good sex wouldn't be a factor towards finding a spouse, rather a "bonus" that you could have in a relationship. And further more because sex is a function to reproduce, it would make sense to me for people to be careful about who they engage in sex with, I think they should be ready for the consequences of having a child or even a family.
    Of course I understand that there are contraception methods, condoms for example are a way to practice safe sex and also prevent child birth, but even then there are risks. And there are many cases where unplanned pregnancies happen, even though they should have access to condoms or birth control pills, these things still happen a lot, and the only real solution to this problem is to be extremely careful who you have sex with.

That being said, I also understand that us humans are subject to our sexual desires, and when we spend a long time bonding with someone of the opposite sex (or same sex if you are homosexual), our sexual desires for the other person become really strong and we feel compelled to engage in sexual activity.
    However I don't think this is a good reason to actually start engaging in sexual activity, rather it is just a natural process that happens because we are human, and we should exert self-control over our desires and not let our desires control us.

The philosopher Plato said that the key to a happy life is to let the rational part of our soul (logistikon) rule over the other two parts of our soul, which are our desires (epithymetikon) and our emotions (thymoeides).
    So if we follow Plato's advice, we should't let our sexual desires rule over us and dictate what we do, rather we should be very careful about who we engage in sexual activity with.

TL;DR: While dating, why would people engage in sex? Does that help the "evaluation" process?

koolpal likes this.
  2. Interesting post, man. I think it's a question of why are you dating? I think for a lot of folks, myself included, sex is part of the appeal of dating, and the question of finding a spouse is a pretty distant afterthought. But I don't know. It's a valid point you bring up.

Deleted Account likes this.
  3. Yeah I think you're mostly right, it just seems to me that it isn't healthy dating if you aren't trying to find a spouse, but that's just my views.
    Also having sex can be dangerous emotionally, and it can make relationships uneasy, so it would make sense to me to be more careful about sleeping with someone when you are dating them, but again that's just my views.

salvacion_a_888 and Hitto like this.
  4. Jason_Tesla_19

Jason_Tesla_19 Fapstronaut

Many people don't date with the purpose of finding a spouse, though, and just date for fun. Many people don't value sex as something particularly special or intimate, and basically view it as recreation.

People also want to test-drive, and see if they're compatible. People can talk all day and tell you they have the same level of drive and interests as you, but the only way to truly know if you're sexually compatible is to have sex. You can build a marriage without good sexual compatibility, or simply trust your SO to be honest before marriage, but marriage won't be as easy or fulfilling with low compatibility, and there will be more temptation to cheat if you're dissatisfied. If you truly love someone, you can sacrifice your sexual needs for them, but you won't be as happy.

I totally get the argument that relationships should first be built on friendship and communication, with sex brought later. Sex can cloud your judgment and make you attached to someone who's unhealthy for you. Friendship and sex can come in any order, but it's probably better to have friendship before sex!

5. Sex does complicate relationships, for sure. It's definitely wise to err on the side of caution.