1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

A Rock and A Hard Place (No pun intended)

Discussion in 'Dating during a Reboot' started by HopeN, Nov 22, 2019.

1. HopeN

HopeN Fapstronaut

So I've been using NoFap for a little over a month now and I've seen marked improvement in the recovery process. I've gotten better and better at saying no to temptation and triggers. My life is definitely feeling more, for lack of a better term, lively. But one thing keeps my mind running back to thoughts of P-- my relationship with my fiancee.

We're both committed Christians and we believe that we should wait for marriage (August 2020). I recognize that not everyone share that conviction, to which I ask for your respect in responding to my dilemma. The problem begins every time we're together. I get so physically excited, but at the same time know I need to wait. When I leave her apartment, the next few days are full of increased temptation and decreased strength to fight.

Do you have any advice?

We are both resolute that we are not giving up our position on s*x before marriage, but I am afraid that if things keep going the way things are going, I'm going to relapse again and again and never truly recover. What can I do?

2. Drew15

Drew15 Fapstronaut

I am in the same situation as you right now. Strong convictions. Waiting. I’m not engaged yet, but my GF and I are shooting for a March 2021 wedding, so I’ve got a bit of a wait. First off, I want to empathize, it’s hard. It really is. The tension is so overwhelming and feels like torture sometimes. That said, I have some advice and wisdom that has helped me on my journey. It might come out a little random, but hopefully some of it sticks.

1) One mental trick I use is to remind myself I have the rest of my life to have sex with my GF/wife when we get married. Let this idea bring some perspective into it. This period of time before marriage can be used for other stuff like emotional connection and building your character. You and your fiancé have the rest of your lives to have sex. 9 more months isn’t a whole lot compared to that. (My goal is to max out my PMO free counter at 500+ days and then lose the O part on my wedding night. That would be awesome!)

2) Let this truth sink in. Marriage and being able to have sex with your now fiancé will not fix your P problem. She won’t always want to have sex with you when you want it. I don’t know if you want kids, but you’ll have to wait a bit to have sex while she recovers from giving birth. Hard times happen. Depression Spells happen. Life is a long time and stuff happens. You don’t want to be that guy PMOing in the bathroom instead of taking care of his wife when she needs him most. By looking at P you’re training your mind and body to expect release whenever you want it and that’s not how marriage works. I haven’t experienced it myself, but I trust the many wise men who have told me so.

3) Let the urges push you into something more meaningful than a temporary comfort. My urges are strongest in bed in the morning and at night. I can’t wait to have a wife to wake up to. But until then I’m choosing to get to know God better. Pray, read your Bible, and use that time to connect spiritually. It’s worked for me.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019