1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

A Scripture a Day...

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. Rise Above

Rise Above Fapstronaut

James 1:23-25

"For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing."

Talk is cheap.

Akeakua and Tao Jones like this.
  2. Note: That last bit is only implied in the original text. :D

3. Be sure to check out the FREEdom process. Its heart is found in Romans 12:2. This is key to the disciple's daily practice.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zqVL11JjWICOHCRUDmqXr9TNC_gpb6yhRF1hKp-fxcc/edit

Akeakua likes this.
  4. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

I suppose it is @TaoJones recent post about how to love the Lord with all of your heart that got me thinking about the following verse. Currently, these words seem to be new and fresh for me, although I have heard and read them countless times.

Mark 12:30 (NAB) "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.'"

It strikes me that my heart still harbors some desire for sin and thus I have not managed to achieve a state of complete love for God. However, I have also been reminded that God's messages are not complicated ones. He doesn't have a secret formula for communicating with Him that only a few can understand. In order to love Him with all of my heart, I simply need to choose to do so.

Every time I turn away, change the channel or scroll quickly by a tempting picture on my computer, I am choosing God. Each time, I choose to be patient with someone and listen to them, instead of focusing only on my own immediate plans, I am choosing God. Truly, it is not complicated, although not necessarily always easy to love God with all my heart. Yet, it seems the more frequently I make a choice for God, the easier the choices become.

Akeakua and Tao Jones like this.
  5. Not easy, but dead simple. This is why even a child or someone mentally disabled can be a disciple. Christ does not require us to be PhDs in theology to follow him.

We choose in each moment and with each decision. When I find myself looking after something that I know is not God's best for me, I stop and ask: "Spirit, what lie am I still believing here? What is it I think I must provide for myself that you cannot or will not? What is the truth that, if I knew it, would set me free from this temptation?" Sometimes I have to wrestle through things for a long time. Occasionally I have breakthrough moments where everything clicks into place and I feel I have progressed deeper into the reality of the Kingdom. I am a very slow learner, I think.

I am grateful we do not need to be PhDs to know him truly. :)

Akeakua and CPilot like this.
  6. Akeakua

Akeakua Fapstronaut

Ecclesiastes 6:7-9 ESV

All the toil of man is for his mouth, yet his appetite is not satisfied.
    For what advantage has the wise man over the fool?
    And what does the poor man have who knows how to conduct himself before the living?
    Better is the sight of the eyes than the wandering of the appetite:
    this also is vanity and a striving after wind.

Tao Jones likes this.
  7. Akeakua

Akeakua Fapstronaut

Scripture: "No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the others, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money."
    Matthew 6:24

Observation: I serve the God who loves, who wants to see others thrive, who hates spiritual decay and evil. God hates anything that keeps others in bondage.

Application: I will work on hating the P industry and pray I despise it in the same way God despises it, because I cannot say that I honestly despise it the same way that God does. Only God can have the grace to soften my heart. Especially, all the opportunities to serve and be a part of the light, where I have casted my vote elsewhere. I am coming into the light.

Prayer: God, have mercy on me. I have been serving other idols. I have been guilty of playing a part in other's spiritual bondage. Forgive me. Please, enlighten me that I despise this evil, the same way that you despise it. I pray that I want to see others thrive so honestly, that I could not bring myself willfully to participate in an activity that is keeping them in bondage. Amen.

Kemar935 likes this.
  8. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

Let us continue to help each other see, know and feel the incredible love of God. A God so beyond us in intellect and wisdom that He embodies the phrase "hate the sin but love the sinner". How amazing to consider how abhorrent and ugly the P business must be in God's eyes, since it reduces humans to the level of unconscious animals, but yet at the same time God loves those who perpetuate this sickness and even through their sinfulness God finds a way to bring goodness to our world through your efforts and mine. Our God is amazing to a degree beyond our comprehension.

Kemar935, Akeakua and Tao Jones like this.
  9. Akeakua

Akeakua Fapstronaut

Then the Lord opened the mouth of the donkey, and she said to Balaam, “What have I done to you, that you have struck me these three times?” And Balaam said to the donkey, “Because you have made a fool of me. I wish I had a sword in my hand, for then I would kill you.” And the donkey said to Balaam, “Am I not your donkey, on which you have ridden all your life long to this day? Is it my habit to treat you this way?” And he said, “No.”

Then the Lord opened the eyes of Balaam, and he saw the angel of the Lord standing in the way, with his drawn sword in his hand. And he bowed down and fell on his face.

Numbers 22:28‭-‬31 ESV

Kemar935 likes this.
  10. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

I heard a chapter from the book of Sirach yesterday. This Old Testament book was written circa 125 B.C. The words in the chapter are not only a testament to the importance of controlling our gaze but more fundamentally a testament to the incredible susceptibility of man. Our susceptibility to lust has been around since the fall of Adam and Eve. We are foolish to rely on our own willpower to keep us free so we must find strength somewhere else. God's strengthening grace, love and care for our wellbeing is so vital to each moment of our lives. Please pray for me. I am praying for you.

Sirach ch 9, v8 (RSV-CE)
    "Turn away your eyes from a shapely woman,
    and do not look intently at beauty belonging to another;
    many have been misled by a woman’s beauty,
    and by it passion is kindled like a fire."

007malone, Kemar935 and Akeakua like this.
  11. Akeakua

Akeakua Fapstronaut

Thank you CPilot. I will pray for you. And I do find out in public, my own susceptibility. I guess I've kind of built a habit of averting my gaze, but there is the temptation.

--------------------------

Scripture:
    Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.
    Romans 5:1‭-‬5 ESV
    https://bible.com/bible/59/rom.5.1-5.ESV

CPilot and Kemar935 like this.
  12. Kemar935

Kemar935 Fapstronaut

Recently I've been reading a book that roughly takes you through all bible stories (old and new) in one year. Since I haven't read that much of the old, except genesis and exodus (always get stuck when I'm at numbers), I was quite surprised at how many times there were stories of people sinning due to temptations. Even great people like King David and Salomon couldn't withhold there temptations, which led to sin.

Akeakua likes this.
  13. Kemar935

Kemar935 Fapstronaut

Love this verse

Akeakua likes this.
  14. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

Yes, isn't amazing to read the Old Testament and consider all of the broken lives that God used to lead His people. Abraham, Issac, David, Soloman, most of the kings of Israel, all had slips, falls and character flaws but God gave them grace and used their good and bad points to lead us to Christ. God has revealed Himself to us over centuries and although Christ was the ultimate revelation, God continues to teach us with patience and mercy.

Akeakua, Tao Jones and Kemar935 like this.
  15. Akeakua

Akeakua Fapstronaut

Therefore, let everyone who is godly pray to You in a time when You may be found; Certainly in a flood of great waters, they will not reach him. You are my hiding place; You keep me from trouble; You surround me with songs of deliverance. Selah
    Psalms 32:6‭-‬7 NASB2020
    https://bible.com/bible/2692/psa.32.6-7.NASB2020

Kemar935 and Wilderness Wanderer like this.
  16. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

Sirach 50: 22 -24 (RSV-CE)
    "And now bless the God of all,
    who in every way does great things;
    who exalts our days from birth,
    and deals with us according to his mercy.
    23 May he give us gladness of heart,
    and grant that peace may be in our days in Israel,
    as in the days of old.
    24 May he entrust to us his mercy!
    And let him deliver us in our days!"

Kemar935 and Akeakua like this.
  17. Akeakua

Akeakua Fapstronaut

What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound? By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it? Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.
    Romans 6:1‭-‬4 ESV
    https://bible.com/bible/59/rom.6.1-4.ESV

18. Akeakua

Akeakua Fapstronaut

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
    2 Corinthians 12:9‭-‬10 ESV
    https://bible.com/bible/59/2co.12.9-10.ESV

19. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

There is an incredibly rich degree of wisdom in this verse. Thanks for posting it!

Akeakua likes this.
  20. Akeakua

Akeakua Fapstronaut

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For as we share abundantly in Christ’s sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too.

If we are afflicted, it is for your comfort and salvation; and if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which you experience when you patiently endure the same sufferings that we suffer.

Our hope for you is unshaken, for we know that as you share in our sufferings, you will also share in our comfort.

2 Corinthians 1:3‭-‬7 ESV
    https://bible.com/bible/59/2co.1.3-7.ESV

Kemar935 and Tao Jones like this.