1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

A simple practice to help overcome Self Hate by promoting Self Like : )

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Gentleman WriterDreamer, Apr 11, 2015.

1. I have struggled in the past with some self hate and been very quick to beat my self up over my mistakes and inadequacies, however with the help of this community and the Sacred Sexuality Project I have begun to feel better about my self. Now mind you I am still not to the fully "loving myself" place in my recovery but now at least I like my self more and can treat my self more like a friend again. This community has done so much for me that I just wanted to share this silly little practice to help remind us to appreciate the good things about our selves even as we strive to free ourselves from addiction and negative habits. The Video below talked about learning to love your self and it quite good. However for this exercise I am going to go with something even simpler. So I would invite you to write down one thing that you like about you self. No matter how seemingly trivial or silly, maybe there is some skill that have that you are proud of or something that you have done that makes you smile. See if you can find one thing and then hold on to that and encourage that feeling of liking grow. Big things often start small and if you can remind you self of one reason to like your self then with any luck you will be able to find more. To illustrate I will start us off .

I like that as a teenager after 3 years of trying and failing to learn to juggle in school I made up my mind one summer to teach my self and Lo after a few months and many many dropped tennis balls I finally succeeded. See pretty silly but sometimes silly is good because it makes you smile. : )

Amukadi8 and Andrew01 like this.
  2. Andrew01

Andrew01 Fapstronaut

Thanks man.I watched the video and it was really what I needed.I found that even if i am doing really good with my addiction,I still catch my self thinking 'you are not good enough 'or 'you are not worth it'.This video is like someone else telling you the words you do not tell to yourself.And it feels good to hear.

3. Excellent video, thank you. Unfortunately sometimes it's not enough to acknowledge what it takes, sometimes words just aren't enough, but I like the way she talks about it. It's gentle and spot-on.

4. Limeaid

Limeaid Guest

You can also take things you hate about yourself and turn it into something positive. For example if you feel you are too emotional and you're always losing it. Turn it around to Being emotional helps you connect to others and means you can feel things deeply.

Cojax likes this.
  5. I am really glad and humbled that this was able to be of some help. : ) I will often listen to this video and others like to while working out or even just relaxing to remind my self why I want to get clean of addiction and also why I should not be too hard on my self. It does not always work as well as I would like but every little bit helps. And sometimes all it takes is a little push to help you stay on track.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015