1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Absolute hatred for Valentines Day

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Wolves of Wisdom, Feb 8, 2021.

1. This F I N A L streak is partially inspired by my intense loathing for Valentine's Day. I am curious to know if anyone else dislikes that stupid day which pretty much IMO commercializes love, a day where people should have already been treating each other in a better way.

If you don't hate Valentines Day, please let me know. I am just seriously bored and would like to talk to someone right now

On a side note I'll be happy to have hit a week or more by the time the date arrives!

SickSicko and FreshPhoenix like this.
  2. Slimjimjones

Slimjimjones Fapstronaut

Yeah Valentine's is stupid. You should be cherishing your loved one every day and always make the effort to treat them special.

Quiet Riot, SickSicko and WesternWolf like this.
  3. WHMvsPMO

WHMvsPMO Fapstronaut

It's a sellout world man. Lets build our own culture.

warrior2k20, WesternWolf and again like this.
  4. PanteriMauzer

PanteriMauzer Fapstronaut

Valentines day was a day where Al Capone gang machined guned some important mobsters on a garage .

Thats what i know about valentines day and that is what valentines day is about, nothing more

Al Capone was a really bad motherfucker , dont play with him

WesternWolf likes this.
  5. I stopped hating Valentines Day when I realized that Valentines Day is actually the feast day to commemorate St. Valentine who was a Christian martyr. Some say he was a bishop and some say he was a priest who used to secretly marry Christians during the time they were being persecuted in Rome. The man gave his life to help those persecuted and to defend one of the greatest institutions of love that we have, marriage.

Fun fact, a saints feast day is celebrated on the day of their death, which is known as your birthday in Heaven. Saint Valentine died on February 14th in the 3rd century.

6. If only some marriages were treated more seriously and were actually stronger than a wrist band from the water park, excuse me I am sorry I am feeling a bit better hearing about the Saint but maybe my view on the day is a little slanted because I am in Northern Nevada of the U.S. Maybe I should have provided more of a background when I said I disliked the day since I'm used living in one of the most sinful places in America (ONE). Hearing about people taking marriage seriously amidst brothels and rush judgements should make me happy but I'm not sure. My view is also slanted because I've never truly been in love and the day just reminds me I'm alone among so many. I'm glad you commented on my thread because I've read other great things you've said in other threads Hello Darkness My Old Friend.

Quiet Riot and H D M O F like this.
  7. Yes! Can I ask what the first part of your username means? I've been out of the loop for a bit.

8. WHMvsPMO

WHMvsPMO Fapstronaut

Wim Hof Method. It's not something specifically for rebooting but general health and wellness.

WesternWolf likes this.
  9. mostaware

mostaware New Fapstronaut

It's the worse holiday ever. At least others give you an excuse to pig out on delicious food. This one forces people to make romantic gestures for no reason. No one who celebrates Valentine's Day even knows it's origins, but will take it seriously. Sigh.

WesternWolf likes this.
  10. Oh! I remember hearing about that some time ago! I should really look into it more, the showers I am taking are super cold right now but I know there is probably more to the method. I'm also diving deep into meditation at the moment and attempting to collect myself through concentrated breathing exercises. I am into one of the challenges now and I know I will beat the record from last time.

11. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

I've taken a girl to a restaurant once for Valentine's Day, and it's not recommended - it's packed, you're pressured into spending more even more than usual and set menu with far too many courses etc. Just get her a card and cook a nice meal, job done.

Not wild about it but I've never made a big deal out of it, and women are happy with quite a small gesture, no need to feel compelled to spend money or go crazy.

WesternWolf likes this.
  12. If you think that hatred will get you the success you are looking for, then by all means, continue hating!

13. WHMvsPMO

WHMvsPMO Fapstronaut

I will say this: There may be women who are not keen on Hallmark treatment of holidays and unimpressed with stereotypical gestures of affection. In that case a creative idea with some originality suited to her personality is probably the way to go.

And surprise - which is less likely to happen if it's on a designated holiday.

WesternWolf likes this.
  14. I never said I thought that hatred will get me the success I'm looking for...
    I hate a day that forces people to do what they SHOULD already be doing.
    FellatiousD my happiness has kind of rising because I see you comment on a ton of things but I never thought you'd come to say something on mine.
    Side Note, have you never hated something without wanting success in that particular area. Like I don't know something that causes you to be upset without having to do well in it?

15. And yes we are all free to hate what we choose but I don't indulge often because too much hate leads to suffering an suffering leads to....

16. Nice point I shouldn't hate the day but the movement behind it, thanks!

17. I'm not sure if I know how to answer this question. I try to avoid hating anything at all, or even saying it in the linguistic, non-literal sense. I feel like both myself and many others tend to say we hate things that don't even matter that much. Mondays, losing at games, spilling coffee. This is a hyperbolic way of expressing a different emotion (frustration, anger, boredom, etc.). Real hatred is something I take great effort to avoid, because it clouds my judgement and makes me ignore facts. Plus I see it as harmful for one's mental health.

I will say that you have every reason not to care for Valentine's day. It's just a cultural tradition, and I don't think there is anything inherently valuable about culture or tradition. On the other hand, you can't blame people for enjoying the tradition of holidays either.

WesternWolf likes this.
  18. Fullyawake

Fullyawake Fapstronaut

Other people being happy and not caring I exist doesn’t inspire good thoughts in me. It just increases the darkness I feel.

WesternWolf likes this.
  19. This is kind of an interesting response. If people should already be doing these things then is Valentines Day really forcing people to do what they already should be doing? Wouldn't Valtines Day be reminding people to do what they already should be doing?

What about the couple that IS doing what they should be doing? Maybe Valentines Day to them is a celebration of the fact that they are still doing what they should be doing.

Maybe having a designated day like Valentines Day also allows us less perfect people the opportunity to make-up for the times we failed to do what we should already be doing. Maybe it's a way for us to remind our loved ones that we still love them, despite our failings.

A part of me feels we as humans have these days because we recognize in ourselves that we can also take people for granted, especially those close to us. Having anniversaries help us stop, pause, and show appreciation for those we love.

WesternWolf likes this.
  20. This is the post that has ultimately won me over and opened my eyes. Even if I have messed up in the past I can still express love, and not only limited to intimate, to family and friends that I'm always there for them! It really warms my heart to think of a couple that would do a loving act everyday and then for Valentines day go, these collections of loving acts build up to something extraordinary.

Roady and H D M O F like this.