1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Am I a coward? Genuine question

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Bombadil, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Bombadil

Bombadil Fapstronaut

I did a thing today that will probably lead to an aggressive confrontation. I *really* don't like these, they scare the hell out of me. I would always rather let sleeping dogs lie and put up with an inconvenience than get into a fight about it.

Conversely, I'm not really bothered by dangerous situations as long as they aren't personal. I have zero fear of natural disasters, accidents, personal injury etc, etc. I'd even go so far as to say I'd rather face a physical confrontation than an emotional / verbal one.

I don't think I'm a coward per se, but I do have a strong aversion to making enemies. Is this fair, or am I just a coward really.

2. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

Are you scared that they won't like/respect/admire/etc you any more or something similar? If so this sounds more like people pleasing syndrome than cowardice.

gyro combo likes this.
  3. Avoiding unpleasant social situations despite negative effects of that avoidance is definitely a form of cowardice. There are guys willing to die in war but unable to ask a girl out. They are cowards, too. Good news is there is a cure and a simple one. Just do the thing you fear anyways. Easier said than done, I know. I'm a coward as well.

Abzu likes this.
  4. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I think the context of the specific situation matters quite a bit here. If by "inconvenience" you mean something minor that is preferable to getting into a pointless argument, then I wouldn't say thats necessarily cowardice, its just making a pragmatic choice between two bad options. However, if you mean you are massively inconveniencing yourself just for the sake of not getting into a confrontation, then I would say it perhaps is cowardly. I run into this issue a lot myself and there is no clear solution, but perhaps deliberately being more assertive could help in general, as long as you dont go too far to the other side and turn into an asshole.

On an unrelated note, love the profile pic and name, Tom Bombadil is the man!

5. I feel context is key and I don’t know you well enough to judge your character.

You mentioned you’re afraid of confrontations but not so much physical ones as emotional ones, which I find interesting. Why?

6. Bombadil

Bombadil Fapstronaut

Physical violence doesn't hurt as much

7. ThePeakWae

ThePeakWae Fapstronaut

If you arent used to sparring, and you dont know whats going to be brought into a potential fight, they should scare you.

In my case, I wouldnt say I´m a coward, I just deal with confront situations with apathy, by not caring, I dont know if that makes me a asshole, but I dont want to have the initiave case the state will punish me, for having it, so I´m more reactive, if someone punches me or engages me to a fist fight I´d probably take it, but if it´s something involving escalated fights, I run, I´m not going to handle someone with a knife or a gun, unless running away fails.

8. Queek The HeadTakker

Queek The HeadTakker Fapstronaut

How can Tom Bombadil be a coward?

Bombadil and brilliantidiot like this.