1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Ancient Egyptians considered Music as a type of magic. Do you agree?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Resilience personified, Jun 15, 2022.

1. Yes, I agree. I have a lot to tell about music which I will tell in further posts.

2. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Fallen Demon likes this.
  3. They meant to point out the amazing things music can do to a person. It can heal a depressed person, motivate, give courage, and a good musician you may observe is different from others. They have a certain level maturity more than others. Music also pushes will power to CRAZY extent. It has the potential to change a person's life.

Now this might sound too much, but all I can say is..... trust me bro :)

Not everything is defined by Science or in terms of language, some things are simply supposed to be experienced.

~ Fallen Demon

4. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

OK. Good. I hoped this was the meaning, not that it was some trick or supernatural mumbo-jumbo. I agree with it mate. :D

Fallen Demon likes this.
  5. I don't think so, many great musicians are actually demons in the sense they are really bad human beings, drug addicts, killers. Some are normal persons, others are more holy.

The point being, is that being a musician even do not mamy people are able to do so and requires an special sensibility it has nothing to do with the moral compass, the quality of human being or level of spirituality of a person.

You can say that of any skill a person develops, a demon can be the strongest person in the world and also an angel like person can also be the strongest person in the world or best musician if that is the case.

Fallen Demon likes this.
  6. The ones who are demons, are incapable on their own. They sell their souls for skills.

7. Well let's stop with mystifying music or any skill, I meant demons as an allegory of being a bad person.

The point being is that anybody can develop a skill and that has nothing to do with the quality of a human being you can be.

But yeah besides from that music can have a deep positive effect on your mind as you mentioned.

Fallen Demon likes this.
  8. :)

9. Meshuga

Meshuga Fapstronaut

Music can do amazing things, positive and negative depending on how it is used. And I don’t think understanding the mechanisms diminishes the magic at all. You can play a record in a nursing home, and see eyes that have been dulled by dementia for years light up. When the music plays, they are present. Then they disappear again with silence. We know it’s because music accesses a different section of the brain. Doesn’t make it any less wonderful.

As for “demons,” sure. There’s black magic. Just be careful with how you use that magic. I am working on a novel with a lot of anger and vengeance in it, so in order to get in that mindset and portray it accurately, I’ve got a playlist with some angry, violent songs. I only listen to it when I need it. Under normal circumstances I’d never. That stuff is like battery acid on your soul.

Fallen Demon likes this.
  10. True

11. Upwards2020

Upwards2020 Fapstronaut

Magic is an interesting way to look at it . A bit psychedelic, and coming from an era where they had lots of poverty lots of disease lived in extremely hot climates and believed in sun god's. Id say they were. Close to a psychedelic state daily

Fallen Demon and +Masculinity like this.
  12. +Masculinity

+Masculinity Fapstronaut

I think "magic" is a stand-in for a lack of sufficient complexity in symbolic representation and understanding of the specific mechanics involved. Does music have a magical effect? I mean...yeah...have you seen the brain when you're listening to music? Or better yet when a musician is playing music? That's magic. Can it defy the laws of physics? No.

Fallen Demon and Upwards2020 like this.
  13. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

I guess you could say it's a bit magical. Certain songs help me get more energetic during my workouts. Sometimes I feel myself getting tired but then an energetic song comes on and I forget how tired I feel. But the opposite can happen also, sometimes I put a new song on my workout playlist that just doesn't go well with my workout and makes me want to give up.

One thing that has changed the way I view music is by practising close listening. I learnt about it in my course. By doing close listening I've discovered things about songs I never knew. If you're interested my university has a close listening short course that's free for anyone to do.

Fallen Demon and Meshuga like this.
  14. Meshuga

Meshuga Fapstronaut

And this guy on YouTube does deep song analysis. Check out his "What Makes This Song Great" series, if nothing else it's a music fan just having the best time appreciating fantastic music. Makes me happy to see someone else so happy.

onceaking and Fallen Demon like this.
  15. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

"Magic" has gone the way of the word "chaos" to mean anything that's arcane, mysterious, or unknown in nature at least to humans. It's understandable why Ancient Egyptians considered music to be magical, because they didn't know the science behind it.

Music is an art and a science, not magic. Arguably, it being an art and a science is better than it being magical. The effects of music has been well-studied through psychology and physics, not magic and divination.

But metaphorically, I suppose it could be magical.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
    Fallen Demon likes this.
  16. skybrowser

skybrowser Fapstronaut

Like some have already said music can have affect you in different ways, I remember times as a teen when I was getting into rock there would be times when I would feel like breaking stuff and getting rowdy.

In the Christian community I have heard about there being music that can attract demons aswell as music that can be a catalyst for healing.

17. Some people just don't want to hear the truth because they think it's "silly," but this comment is absolutely spot on. It's not even some kind of conspiracy or assumption. It's actually crazy how many popular musicians openly talk about being possessed and being involved in demonic stuff with their music and that demonic stuff giving them the skill they have.

Naysayers can say all they want that that's dumb or not true, but they are just denying what the musicians themselves have said about their own music.

skybrowser and Fallen Demon like this.
  18. Finally someone who doesn't think this is dumb! Do you think we should listen to such people's music?

TakingTheSteps likes this.
  19. That's a complicated question that, to be honest, I haven't come to a conclusion on yet.

Fallen Demon likes this.
  20. MrPriest

MrPriest Fapstronaut

Some forms of music are straightforward black magic, witchcraft, to be avoided.

Some others also hold power, but they, on the contrary will have a positive influence.

Fallen Demon likes this.