1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Another chronic behavioral problem

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by AGradeAGuy, Nov 9, 2015.

1. I've been trying to shrug off another long running behavioral issue that has hampered my success: The need to be right.

Like judging things, being right can be a real problem. It's a big issue when I'm attempting to widen my network of friends, and more importantly, business colleagues. I've found, thanks to a father that made "being right" his a religion, I understand how disagreeable it is to be around someone that has this obsession to be right.

It's made worse my online persona. I know I hide behind the global network and flex my "cyber muscles," where I'd have no confidence if I were communicating with people first hand in real time. Thus, arguing and disclosing an unsolicited opinion, or criticism, comes easy giving rise to another's need to say their piece.

This may just be the essence of trolling. The sad part is that it teases out negative energy in people. I've recently discovered another aspect to this behavior as well. A lack of acceptance. And I'm not speaking of the acceptance that facilitates one to be a doormat, but the acceptance that someone's experience my be different from ours. Their outlook may be effective for their path in life, but when I attempt to show someone that they're "wrong" it removes the possibility of acceptance which paves the way to love and care.

It's no wonder why so many opinionated types like myself suffer from things like compulsive PMO acting out. I mean, without a loving relationship in one's life it almost makes PMO a necessity--not just in a physical sense, but also emotionally.

Consequently the downward spiral of loneliness feeds into my disdain of others and, in a vane and misdirected attempt to show my value (a warped hope to receive recognition, acceptance, admiration and love), I vomit criticism, opinion, and righteousness all over others. Why would I love someone that does that to me?
    It's no wonder I find it difficult to make and keep friends.

With the thought of how disagreeable a man like my dad is, yet how much I want to set aside our differences, I find it's far more important to show love than be right. This is done easier than said for all it takes is to keep my mouth shut.

nfprogress likes this.
  2. taqwa

taqwa Fapstronaut

Impressive soul searching brother. Mature... sign of healing...let go of perfection... life much more meaningful when you give/share and contribute. Let the other person have the glory. It is all a fantasy. There is abundance in this world and if you put people first, you will be elevated. It is a paradoxical but true. Stay strong! Win!