1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Anxiety and Depression

Discussion in 'New to NoFap' started by matt.n18, Sep 10, 2018.

1. matt.n18

matt.n18 Fapstronaut

hey everyone. i recently started nofap on july 26 and have been holding strong ever since. My question is have any of you experienced anxiety and depression? Because i have been feeling this way ever since day 0 (so its been 47 days). I also have this weird urge to go search up scary articles that would make my anxiety worse. I am wondering if these are withdrawals. Thanks for the help.

2. Awakened & Aware

Awakened & Aware Moderator Assistant

Hi,
    Yes, I faced depression in my very first nofap attempt after many years of indulgence in PMO. That nofap journery was trigged by some other event in my life. During it, I underwent a phase of depression that lasted as long as 3 months. After that - there was an outburst of enthusiasm and energy. Infact - so much, that I could hardly control it and do productive work. Your depression phase is also pretty substantial - 47 days. So your high phase is also likely to be strong. Only thing is - you must learn to channelise that energy. Otherwise, it is easy to fall down again and the cycle of (pmo -> guilt -> abstinence -> struggle -> depression -> energy burst -> high) will continue. To be honest, I underwent this cycle many times. Later on, the frequency was higher - I would be depressed for only few days and then the burst of energy (marked by excessive enthusiasm, ego, energy, sleeplessness, etc) would come. I am still struggling to gain the escape velocity (steady state of mind I should say) to escape PMO once and for all.

On other note - its important not to let depression overcome you. Avoid it by doing some activities, being with people you love, finding joy in the world, go out in nature (with close friends/family preferably), etc. Do not give up on work. And one more recommendation - if you do go through the burst of energy phase like I mentioned, make sure --- to regulate your sleep a lot. Do not skip sleep. Sleep improves the control power of the mind and will make sure you do not go off track generally. Sleep is also a must if we are to have enough control to channelise our energy.

Good luck... and ping close friends or anyone here (like me) if you want to, if you struggle with depression.

matt.n18 and SanctionedUser001 like this.
  3. Yes!! Depression is pmo withdrwal.Sometimes i also face this depression and anxiety on my streak...

matt.n18 likes this.
  4. matt.n18

matt.n18 Fapstronaut

Thank you so much for this!