1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Anxiety/panic attacks

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by Casanerd20, Jun 13, 2018.

1. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

This one is easier to answer. :) You have nothing to worry about! They aren't resets or relapses because you aren't consciously controlling them. Also, they are normal as part of a reboot. Your body is used to releasing a lot of ejaculate fluid. When we stop, it can build up. The body handles this in two ways: wet dreams or re-absorption (your body will actually reabsorb the fluid - kind of like internal recycling lol).

I think the farther into your reboot you go, they will lessen.

I'm assuming you aren't doing things like looking at potentially triggering stuff or fantasizing before bed. That would also make a wet dream more likely.

In short, nothing to worry about other than changing the sheets! :)

2. Casanerd20

Casanerd20 Fapstronaut

It’s just so weird how the first time I tried nofap it was back in February or March and I only lasted a month and I never went through the stuff I’m going through now.

P-Free likes this.
  3. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

That's a grey area for me, sort of. I went for 42 days before resetting. This new streak is almost a bit harder than my very first streak, even though I still have all of those good coping skills.

If I had to give an educated guess, I'd say our brains REALLY enjoyed the dopamine fix we both got from resetting and are working hard to trick us into resetting again. The big thing is to have good coping skills, and tough it out. Make sure you have contact here (like we're talking). Do you keep a daily journal on the site? I find that that is very helpful. Accountability partners can also make a huge difference.

My guess is that every reboot (after a reset) is going to be slightly or even really different. From my own experience, this one feels a bit more difficult. But, I will rise to the challenge! And, so will you, my friend! We can do this! :)

4. Casanerd20

Casanerd20 Fapstronaut

We have to find other ways to make us happy. Whether it’s working out and seeing results or just simply meeting new people. Idk about you but I’ve always had trouble socializing. At home and when I’m out with family or just good close friends I’m the funniest guy ever but if I go somewhere where there’s new people I’ve never met I’m not as confident or social. I feel like that’s an area the majority of the people on here struggle with or maybe aren’t the best at. The reason pmo is so addicting is because it’s fast and easy. We would rather do that than say Work out for 2 months and see the results in the end. It’s that quick feeling of relief and happiness at the same time. I wish I would have known what it was really doing to my brain when I was in middle school (started pmo when I was 12)

P-Free likes this.
  5. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

You have described it perfectly! I have trouble meeting new friends, too, for the same reason you mention. It's one step at a time, really. My AP suggested things like Meetup.org, where you can join a group of like-minded people depending on what the group is about. You don't have to be everyone's best friend immediately, but going to the group and participating at some level is socializing. And, eventually, you get better at it. I just read an article that one study says it takes 90 hours of quality time spent together (not all at once, of course LOL) for people to become good friends. I don't know if that's true, but I'll say it took some pressure off of me. I always felt like "instant friendship" should be a thing and it's not in the face-to-face world.

I'm with you on knowing what pmo would ultimately do to me, too! I started at about 13. Back then it was magazines (no Internet). Then VHS tapes. Then the Internet and DVDs. It's taken me until earlier this year to realize what a problem I had. And, I'm 50 years old.

6. Casanerd20

Casanerd20 Fapstronaut

I’ve always struggled with people. However it’s something I believe we should both work on. It starts to become less scary as you do it. I believe it will also lift some of the anxiety off

P-Free likes this.
  7. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

Me, too. I agree it is something we should both work on. Like anything, it does become less scary the more you do it. And socializing does help with anxiety. I’m glad we’re talking and I look forward to working together to achieve our goals.

8. Casanerd20

Casanerd20 Fapstronaut

I’m excited too. I believe even though right now it sucks and I’m going through something tough, the outcome and the person I will become after is worth it. I can honestly say the way I lived my life was never the way it was supposed to be. It was not meant to be lived like this whether you’re religious or not. I’ve always been very isolated my whole life. I’m the only guy out of 3 and my sisters were always the more outgoing ones. I think isolation is also a big cause for anxiety in general.

P-Free likes this.
  9. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

Great, me too! Right now it does suck and it is tough, but you have a plan to handle it. And you will overcome it. Isolation can be a factor in anxiety. But anxiety will soon be under control with your plan. I am an only child and was very shy as a kid. I was more outgoing in my 20s, but not anymore.

10. Casanerd20

Casanerd20 Fapstronaut

Hopefully I can get it under control before I start the fall semester

P-Free likes this.
  11. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

I think you have plenty of time to do that. Are you still going to call the doctor next week?

12. Casanerd20

Casanerd20 Fapstronaut

I’m actually going to the counseling center at my church first. I’ll go this week and hopefully they can give me some advice. After that if I’m feeling like I can’t fight this without meds they will set me up with a doctor through the church and if I have to I’ll go on meds.

P-Free likes this.
  13. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

Okay. That’s a good plan. I wish you the best! Like we’ve already talked about, please don’t wait too long.

14. Casanerd20

Casanerd20 Fapstronaut

Of course not. If this is something that can be treated I think it’s best to do it as fast as possible.

P-Free likes this.
  15. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

Good. And please, take my word for it, this is something that can be treated. You are going to be fine, even though it feels so bad now.

16. Casanerd20

Casanerd20 Fapstronaut

Makes me relieved to hear that. I’ll keep you updated on everything that goes on

P-Free likes this.
  17. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

I’m glad to hear that. Because it’s true. Thank you! I am happy that you will keep me updated. In the meantime, keep referring back to that message I just sent if it will help you. And you can always reach out to me. I’m happy to listen.

18. Casanerd20

Casanerd20 Fapstronaut

Ok I definitely do believe it’s all about the reboot!! I no longer have a lot of anxiety and felt like having attacks but now I’m going into the feeling low stage. I just feel tired and low and my head feels so heavy even though I’m not even thinking about anything. It helps when I start doing something or talking to someone but when I’m by myself that’s when it feels the worst. I’m hoping this means I’m only getting closer to being back to normal

P-Free likes this.
  19. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

That's great to hear, my friend! I know the feelings you described. Activity and socializing do help distract us from the feelings, but when we're alone again, they come back. The tiredness and head feeling heavy are likely from the reboot, too. Just keep an eye on things (as I know you are!) and reach out (whether to me, the forums, that church counselor, or a doctor) if things get worse again. Thank you for the update! Please feel free to say "hey" whether to update or just chat. We're all in this together! :)

20. tidus

tidus Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

I just wanted to share my experience with anxiety and panic attacks.

I truly believe PMO is the reason why I have those two. I've struggled with this problem for a long time and I can truly say that P especially is the cause of this. And yes, after a relapse and starting over my streak, they occur more often and can get really bad if I continue to PMO. So the longer I don't do PMO, the more toned down the anxiety is for me. However, that does not mean it completely goes away. Even almost a week of PMO free I still found myself struggling with anxiety but not as intense when I'm on Day 0 for an example. I'm able to control my thoughts and reduce or even prevent a panic attack the more absent I am from PMO.

And like you mentioned, isolation is where it hits the hardest. Even a text message to someone or calling someone during an episode always helps me calm down and feel better. Staying busy doing anything and not having a ton of thoughts run through your mind always helps too. Just thought I'd share because you're not the only one. I hope everything continues to get better for you!

P-Free likes this.