1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Any advice on Anti-Depressants?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by JakeWoods, Nov 13, 2018.

1. JakeWoods

JakeWoods Fapstronaut

I’m looking for some advice from anyone who has taken anti-depressants or at least knows a little about them and how they work.

Obviously I get the basics, they’re meant to help you feel less depressed.

This time last year I watched a close relative of mine die from terminal cancer. It had quite an impact on my mental health. I got really bad anxiety and suffered from pretty bad panic attacks during the time that he was ill. It took me months to start feeling normal again after his death, I will always miss him but the mental issues kind of resolved themselves with time. I’m talking about anxiety mostly.

Anyway. Fast forward to the present day and I recently discovered that my fathers condition has worsened. For the last 8 years he has had Essential Thrombocemia. Which is a type of Leukimia. But he was stable and the tablets were working and he was fine. Now it has progressed into what’s known as Myleofibrosis.

We still have to wait for the results to come back yet to know the extent of what’s going on but it’s hit me pretty hard. It’s brought back some anxiety issues that I thought I had overcome since last year.

So my question is. Will anti-depressants help me? Will they calm my anxiety? Is there any negatives about taking them, I don’t want to become dependant or addicted to them or anything. I’ve also heard that taking them can seriously lower your motivation and sex drive along with other things. Any information would be really helpful, thanks.

tiredofbeingtired likes this.
  2. tiredofbeingtired

tiredofbeingtired Fapstronaut

I'm sorry for everything you and your family are going through. The only acceptable answer to your question though is to talk to a psychiatrist or at least a GP. They're the only ones qualified to answer your questions and give you sound advice. Different types of medication have different mechanisms and have their own benefits and possible side affects. Also medications affect people differently. What worked for someone may not work for you and vice versa. While it can be a process to find the right thing it could potentially benefit you a lot so I really urge you to ask a professional.

There's a reason prescribing medication requires a medical degree though. Don't try to figure this out on your own or through other unqualified people.

JakeWoods likes this.
  3. ClaritySeeker

ClaritySeeker Fapstronaut

I agree with @tiredofbeingtired. Listen to your GP/Psychiatrist. Another thing that might help is to feel like you have some control over your own life and chances of getting cancer. I have found a lot of research showing that a whole food plant-based diet can help prevent lots of cancers, it's not fool proof, but it will help you have more of a feeling of control over something like this.

tiredofbeingtired and JakeWoods like this.
  4. drac16

drac16 Fapstronaut

I take Effexor and in addition to it being an anti-depressant, it also treats anxiety. There are some side effects to taking it, though. When I started taking it, I was unable to climax (during masturbation). I can't recommend it because I don't know if it's right for you. It's something you can ask a doctor about, though.

JakeWoods likes this.