1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Other Self-Help Lovers Here?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by PotentLife, Nov 15, 2015.

1. PotentLife

PotentLife Fapstronaut

Aristotle wrote that "It is the mark of an educated mind to entertain a concept without necessarily accepting it."

This is my approach to reading self-help materials. I am interested and curious, and I like the way they can help boost my mood just by thinking of the fun results I might get from them.

Over the years I've read an enormous number of self-help books, watched countless videos and tried various techniques that would qualify as self-help related. I'd like to talk with others about different points of view from an eclectic perspective, comparing and contrasting different approaches. Nobody's perfect, so instead of charlatan-bashing, let's be playful in the discussion, focusing on what's worked for us personally or how and where an idea might possibly work with a little editing or tailoring.

Here are some of the books I've read that might be fun to discuss. I'd love to hear any from you I haven't mentioned, or just people or techniques you find inspiring who can be accessed on the internet. Off the top of my head...
    • Awaken the Giant Within and Unlimited Power, by Anthony Robbins
    • The Sedona Method (book and CD course), by Hale Dwoskin
    • The Abundance Book, by Larry Crane
    • The Success Principle that Never Fails, by W. Clement Stone
    • The Power of Positive Thinking, by Norman Vincent Peale
    • Think and Grow Rich, by Napoleon Hill
    • Psycho Cybernetics, by Maxwell Maltz
    • The Science of Getting Rich, by Wallace Wattles
    • The Secret, by Rhonda Byrne
    • The Miracle Morning, by Hal Elrod
    • The Artist's Way, by Julia Cameron
    • The Game of Life and How to Play It, by Florence Scovel Shinn
    • The Secret, by Rhonda Byrne
    • Creative Visualization, by Shakti Gawain
    • How to Win Friends and Influence People, by Dale Carnegie
    • The Power of Your Subconscious Mind, by Dr. Joseph Murphy
    • Essays by Ralph Waldo Emerson
    • The Silva Mind Control Method, by Jose Silva
    • The Seven Habits of Highly Successful People, by Stephen Covey
    Also I've watched talks by authors such as

• Marci Shimoff
    • Les Brown
    • Richard Bandler and John Grinder
    • David Grove
    • Wayne Dyer
    • Joe Vitali
    • Eben Pagan
    • Esther Hicks
    • Werner Erhard
    • Lester Levenson
    • and many of the authors who spoke in The Secret.

I think one of the reasons I never got the full value of the books is that for the most part I read them passively, forgot about them, and didn't really digest them the way a student processes information in a university; discussing it, experimenting with it, drawing conclusions from it, being tested on it. I thought getting a discussion going here could be a nice step in that direction for all of us.

So, please feel free to name favorite authors and concepts, describe how something has worked for you, ask questions about concepts you don't understand, and let's get a fun thread going!

Thanks!

2. taqwa

taqwa Fapstronaut

Great list! I have read many of them. The major problem is what you have already mentioned. We read and gain information but don't apply what we learn. Real knowledge is application. Many of the principles are the same, reworded slightly different with various examples. The issue in my mind is not the knowledge, but the application.

The great men (and women) in the past did not have nearly as much access to info as we do. However, their actions were huge. The people of the past did a ton, said a little. We say a lot and do a little.

Great thread as I eagerly wait other people's opinions.

3. taqwa

taqwa Fapstronaut

-Walden and journals of Henry David Thoreaou are golden
    -The simple truths book series by Nightingale and Conant are great
    -Malcom X autobiography by Alex Haley. Amazing!
    -How to read a book. Mortimer
    -The Slight Edge. Jeff Olsen
    -Way of the Peaceful Warrior. Dan Millman
    -The Checklist Manifesto Atul Gawande
    -The Greatest Salesman in the World. Og Mandino
    -Time Warrior: Steve Changler
    -When Pride Still mattered, life of Vince Lombardi: David Marinass
    -Relentless: Tim Grover

There are so many more. This is a good start. Stay Strong! Win!

4. PotentLife

PotentLife Fapstronaut

Thanks, Taqwa! I quoted the ones I haven't yet read. I listened to the audio book of The Slight Edge while on long bike rides this summer. As just a concept (I remember Anthony Robbins referring to the slightest competitive edge being the decisive factor in winning in his big book) has been enormously valuable to me. Just doing one push-up when I haven't felt like it has gotten me onto the biggest exercise binge of my life in the last few weeks. I smile when I do them, too, imagining smiles in the deepest part of the tension. This relates to the "be happy now, not just later" concept we often hear in these books. And it's been working. I feel like I have been floating around on a glowing cloud of ease.

Wow - I don't know about Tim Grover. But the title gets my blood moving. Relentless is how I've been increasingly feeling in my recovery and in my exercise.

@JackStrident mentioned The Power of Now being a favorite of his, which could lead to rich discussion. I love the part of the book where Tolle instructs you to wait for your next thought to come as if you're a cat positioned outside a mouse hole.

Yeah, it's time to read Walden, finally. I'd actually love to read B.F. Skinner's Walden Two, since behaviorism is fascinating to me. I see its evidence everywhere, even in subtle methods like meditation and in Tolle's work. Anthony Robbins cited the work of behaviorist and renowned animal trainer Karen Pryor in A.T.G.W. Her books Don't Shoot the Dog and Reaching the Animal Mind have been big inspirations in getting out of the PMO habit. If a hermit crab can be trained to ring a bell for food, my animal brain can be trained to turn a PMO habit into a completing-novels-and-submitting-the-manuscripts-to-publishers habit, and many other, even better ones!

Here's a longer version of Thoreau's most famous quote from Walden to sign off.

“I learned this, at least, by my experiment; that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. . . . In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness."

Wishing you a great day, brother!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    JoePineapples and taqwa like this.
  5. taqwa

taqwa Fapstronaut

Great stuff!! I am so happy for you that you are doing so well. I pray that it only increases.

You have mentioned several wonderful books. Don't Shoot the Dog is classic. B.F. Skinner was brilliant. I have a B.S. in psychology. I read a ton of Skinner. Tony Robbins is amazing with his books, dvds, and seminars. You should check out his online seminar, the ultimate edge. It is awesome!! "Don't achieve to be happy, rather happily achieve" (Tony Robbins). Tolle is super reflective. You have to read his book, A new Earth, it will change your life.

How cool would it be to sit down at Starbuck's and have a group discussion regarding these amazing books.
    I think we are both cut from the same piece of cloth Potent Life. Stay strong. Let's keep this thread going!

6. PotentLife

PotentLife Fapstronaut

Absolutely, Taqwa. That coffee shop meeting sounds delightful! In fact, I'm very tempted to take out a Craigslist ad or start a Meetup Group where I live here in Upstate New York for that very purpose.

I can just imagine a plethora of ideas, reveling in possibilities, the talk, already being a miniature form of action growing into larger, more wonderful actions. Wondeful thoughts, being things, dividing, replicating, merging, clustering, quite naturally into the genesis of much larger things. I have experienced this kind of budding, blooming inspiration in the past , where delightful thoughts segued almost imperceptibly into amazing actions, and it seems to be happening more frequently, always quite within reach, with this increasing PMO abstinence.

I found this 10-hour long Youtube video of Tony Robbins and some other Ultimate Edge materials there as well. Terrific.

If you ever want to have a phone conversation as a break from all the forum use, write me a message and we can exchange numbers or use a voice chat app if you're not in the states. I totally understand if not, since the anonymity here is valuable, if not vital to many members here. This invitation applies to any sincere and trustworthy person who happens to be viewing this post. I find that that animation of speaking accesses different parts of me than typing, so it can be a powerful boost, like a fresh powder applied to the ski slope of one's day.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  7. JoePineapples

JoePineapples Fapstronaut

Great list, great resources. Thank you @PotentLife

I too, have read a fair few of these, and purchased (at great expense) the Sedona Method many years ago.
    @taqwa is absolutely right, it's the application that matters, you can read as many of these books as you like, but if you don't actually do anything about it, nothing much happens! I'm very much talking from my own perspective here!
    Still, I've got into a positive morning routine, which actually doing some of the stuff I read about.

This thread, and your journal are a wonderful, inspirational and creative, and show a true generosity of spirit. Thanks again for posting, and keep it up, my friend.

PotentLife likes this.
  8. Yall should start a self-help book discussion group or something of the sorts! Once the group feature is ready, might still be being tested.

I have read several of the books above. Will check out the rest on Audible, fantastic stuff.

PotentLife likes this.
  9. PotentLife

PotentLife Fapstronaut

Thanks for chiming in with such kind words, @JoePineapples! I hadn't known you had experience with The Sedona Method. It would be interesting to learn of your experiences with it one day. I joined a group near Albany, NY, led by a man who was getting certified as a coach. He guided us through the exercises, including "holistic releasing" some tapes of Larry Crane doing Release Technique exercises and possibly a potpourri of some techniques he'd picked up over the years. After a one-on-one session with him one Saturday I felt almost weightless and invisible, and the rest of the day unfolded in a sublime manner. By that evening, I had a girlfriend.

Personally I believe it's just a form of behavioral training using the micro-behaviors of thought and emotion. The 3 basic questions categorically change the response to the micro-behaviors and interrupt or redirect the pattern to a nicer outcome (release). Instead of reacting to the "No [I couldn't release this feeling]" with, "why the hell not, you stubborn jerk!?" or something typical of the escalating crisis life can become, you simply and calmly proceed to the question "WOULD you release it," thus entering the Synapse Less Traveled. The WHEN allows you a window on how nice things would need to be, which, as I see it, has much of the value of positive thinking (even though Hale has said that positive thinking doesn't work. Well, the product does need to differentiate itself in the market). The WHEN certainly implies the positive redirection of the micro-behavior.

Anyway, JoePineapples, if you're ever in the mood, I'd love to hear about what you got out of it - what worked, what didn't, any super-effective releases and any pertinent conditions, circumstances in which they took place, etc.

Be well, brother!

10. JoePineapples

JoePineapples Fapstronaut

Good analysis! Personally, I found the techniques a little too simple; as you progressed through the series it seemed to be 'more of the same'. At the time, lacked the commitment to get through to the end of the course. Perhaps I would have benefited more from a one-on-one session. As regards to the three questions, I think there's something very empowering about choosing to ask the questions in the first place (for the non-initiated, the Sedona Method hinges around 'releasing negative emotions' through three questions; 1. Could you let it go? 2. Would you? 3. When? ) Could you let it go? If you're angry about something, Could you just let it go? (If it's a yes it's a win. If it's a no, you've stopped and thought about it). Would you? If you could, would you? (Why wouldn't you?) The When? for me, is all about the "power of now" In my head, I always responded with "Now!". If not now, when?

I did find it calming, and a useful tool for when I felt 'out of control'.

My big problem with it, was it set up huge goals, and there didn't seem to be a lot of 'meat' to it… it seemed to be the same core idea over and over again, without progressing. It also seemed to be a little too much 'magical thinking' for me, a bit like "the Secret" and "Cosmic Ordering". Still, even the act of stopping, writing down your goals, and thinking about what's stopping you achieving them has got to be useful, even without the 'releasing' element, and whatever works, works. My philosophy is, if it works for you, use it!

PotentLife likes this.
  11. PotentLife

PotentLife Fapstronaut

Yes. That was my experience, too, for the most part. I felt it seemed mechanical and tedious after the first half, although some of the later ideas blew my mind. Having done many stand-up comedy open mics, I found the game-like "argue your opponent's case against you with at least as much conviction as him/her" technique to be mind-blowingly effective onstage in, for example, siding explicitly with the audience as to how bad my last joke was in order to set them up for the next one. The comedian Louis CK had a bit in which he described arguing his wife's case against him forgetting to turn on the dishwasher with as much generic simplicity as if it came from The Sedona Method itself. And it got great laughs.

Thanks for explaining the questions to the uninitiated. To all readers: if I make any obscure references, please feel free to ask about them and I'll love to explain and get some good exploration in through elaboration. Sometimes I'm working within time constraints on my posts.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    JoePineapples likes this.
  12. taqwa

taqwa Fapstronaut

Awesome stuff guys! That sounds like a good idea PotentLife. It would be great to have some type of round table via some voice program software over a certain subject for a specific amount of time. Let us see if we can arrange something in the near future.
    Stay strong guys! Keep the posts coming.

PotentLife and JoePineapples like this.
  13. PotentLife

PotentLife Fapstronaut

Thanks, ओं मणिपद्मे हूं! In the meantime, I'm curious what your experience with any of the books you've already read has been - any breakthroughs and/or things that haven't yet been effective for you. Clearly you've embraced some Sanskrit wisdom so far. It's always interesting to find out how a person got to embrace a particular philosophy or world view or way.

One of these days it might be nice to confine my Nofap.com interactions to checking out people's signature links. There look like some really good ones on yours.