1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

any programmers here

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by savemegod, Sep 19, 2022.

1. savemegod

savemegod Fapstronaut

Hey everyone. I am a computer science student and if you are one you know how much time you have to be alone that too in front of the computer with an internet connection. I think that we as programmers have it hardest. Cause we are constantly exposed to triggering objects and events. Please share your views on this topic. And can we have a seperate forum for us coders where we could hold each other accountable while at the same time help each other in our coding journeys!!

silex_jedi likes this.
  2. DioMeo

DioMeo Fapstronaut

I am a programmer and have been for the last 38 years. As you point out programmers spend a lot of time in front of a screen, which can be tempting. Until COVID I worked in an office in the city so was not tempted to try a sneaky look at P as getting caught would result in losing my job, not to mention the shame. After work at home I would try to get ahead for the next day so ended up working late into the night (I owned a part of the company so it was worth my while). All was well with only mild P looking (1-2 week) until COVID. Now I am working at home with no one looking over my shoulder (my wife works at a hospital so is out for the day) with a high speed internet link and the temptation was too much. So for the first two years of COVID PMO was the order of the day. Interestingly I didn't consider myself as an addict, until one day I decided I was spending too much time on P and would just stop and get more work done. Well as most of you are aware the addition creeps up and I couldn't stop. It was then that I knew I had PA and decided to do something about it. So here I am on NoFap and so far so good.

In short I am not sure that programmers have more triggering events than say a data entry person or anyone else stuck in front of a computer all day. I suspect it is up to the individual, but I believe working from home due to COVID will/has caused a lot more PA people.

EdricKr and silex_jedi like this.
  3. s_rv29

s_rv29 Fapstronaut

I am programmer but to be honest since I’m working for company it helped me with nofap journey. On my iPhone I have locked AppStore so I cannot install any apps, and I have only like 10 safe websites I can wisit (the rest are blocked with a password that only my girl knows).
    After I get my pc from company and from client I send my private pc to my parents home, and I cannot wisit xxx websites on pc from work because the internet activity is supervised by it admin.

silex_jedi likes this.
  4. WalkingForward

WalkingForward Fapstronaut

I'm also a programmer. A lot of professions involve a lot of screen time, I'm not sure programming is that bad in that sense. StackOverflow, GitHub, Hackernews etc aren't very triggering luckily.

You can designate some websites as OK since you'll need them for programming. Then you can limit and set boundaries for yourself when it comes to other sites.

silex_jedi likes this.
  5. koolpal

koolpal Fapstronaut

I’m a programmer.

I think of exposure to PMO triggers on the internet in terms of computer & network security.

In particular, creating a mental firewall. Of course I use actual software firewalls, IDS, VPN/DNS servers, port scanners, and other network security tools to look for vulnerabilities in my own computers and home networks. I use the same idea of patching those security holes to deal with the mental PMO triggers.

Hope that helps.

silex_jedi likes this.
  6. silex_jedi

silex_jedi Fapstronaut

^^^ that is the goal eventually... what ever leads you there... if you can have a "screen free weekend" or even week on holiday if you have the chance and focus on real li... ah i don't that my self who am i to talk.

koolpal likes this.