1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Any recommended self-development books

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by R92B, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Hi guys; can anyone recommend anything in terms of books to aid personal development and growth?

"Awaken the Giant Within" by Anthony Robbins and "The Power of Now" by Eckart Tolle are both books I've studied and would highly recommend.

2. Lunar Devil

Lunar Devil Fapstronaut

All napoleon hill. Listening to a good one now (audio book) Outwitting the evil by him. On youtube for free with words on screen. Review: very 'unique' concepts.

cud and Ahmed Adel like this.
  3. kevinkevin19

kevinkevin19 Fapstronaut

The Success Principles by Jack Canfield, Outliers and David and Goliath both by Malcolm Gladwell, Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill, The Difference Maker and Talent is Never Enough both by John Maxwell, Being Happy and How Life Works both by Andrew Matthews

4. dustinhoffmanfan

dustinhoffmanfan New Fapstronaut

I recently read "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius. It's basically Marcus Aurelius' diary and there's plenty of stuff about how to be a better man and put things in the right perspective. Some of his philosophical ideas are a little iffy in 2015 but 90% of it is insightful, useful stuff.

5. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. Audio version is something close to my heart. I listen to it every year as a type of mental training.

SolidStance, Brother in Arms to the Heirs of the Sun. Holding the Light for 25 days

6. Verhart

Verhart Fapstronaut

Start with No More Mr Nice Guy

kevinkevin19 likes this.
  7. Toni S.

Toni S. Fapstronaut

"How to win friends and influence people", by Dale Carnegie;
    "Choose yourself", by James Altucher;
    "The obstacle is the way", by Ryan Holiday;
    "The way of the superior man", by David Deida.

JoePineapples likes this.
  8. openminded

openminded Fapstronaut

As far as I'm concerned, none of the "self-improvement" books can even compete with breathtaking, short masterpiece:
    On the Shortness of Life by Seneca. Probably the most influential, eyes opening stuff I've ever read.
    Pure genius, great advises, Seneca <3 <3 <3 :p

"Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius are really good,
    "Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin", I higly recommend this classic for those who believe [like me] in self-discipline,
    "Thus Spoke Zarathustra" by
    Nietzsche (I've read just the first 12% of this book, but that part contains concept of Camel, Lion and Child, and I've learned a lot from that)
    "The Willpower Instinct" great stuff to learn a little bit how our brain works, how our willpower is depleted and how to build and excercise it.

GoferTech likes this.
  9. Rayon

Rayon Guest

Outwitting the Devil by Napoleon Hill.
    Why People Fail The 16 Obstacles to Success and How you can Overcome Them by Siimon Reynolds
    Stop Worrying and Start Living by Dale Carnegie

10. 240F

240F Guest

The Book of Pook; Models by Mark Manson. Currently reading How to win and influence people.

kevinkevin19 likes this.
  11. The power of habit - Charles Duhigg

SituationExcellent likes this.
  12. Thanks guys, will get onto a few of these!

13. HelpIsOnTheWay

HelpIsOnTheWay Fapstronaut

Yes. Love both! Good stories.

14. nightm4re

nightm4re Fapstronaut

I highly recommend The War of Art by Steven Pressfield. Some great ideas there.
    Also The Slight Edge by Jeff Olson is very helpful.

15. oooo

oooo Fapstronaut

Currently reading the Slight Edge by Jeff Olson.
    Really good book.

16. newmotto90

newmotto90 Fapstronaut

Brain Tracy's books
    Monk who sold his Ferrari - Robin Sharma
    Alchemist - Paulo Coelho
    Power of Habit - Charles Duhigg
    Seven Habits of highly Effective People

17. Lunar Devil

Lunar Devil Fapstronaut

Just finished a new book White Fat Cow by William Bodri. Review: definitely 'unique' content you wont find anywhere. Very big book wiht lots of quotes from all walks of life. May seem strange at first but read it all you wont regret it, and he makes sense of everything eventually. Definitely recommand it. Now with the comming of the year I have got my self a book and started on the method and measurement from the 6M method. Among the rest of course.

18. seth

seth Fapstronaut

The Slight Edge

19. Machin

Machin Fapstronaut

One very specific, that might not suit you, but helped me more than I ever thought it could, and more than everything else : Taming Your Outer Child, by Susan Anderson.
    It is about abandonment issues.
    It is not about life, universe, women, how you should be, what you should do, or how you should behave, but about the core problems you may have and are not aware of.
    There are some really powerfull exercises in this book (especially when you talk to you "little" you) that had a strong effect on me.
    It may sound a little woo woo at first, and it took me years to start reading it despite the recommandations of other people I knew, but it is the one thing that gave me confidence and helped me start over with nofap, believing I could succeed.