1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody lost friends?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Jan 28, 2022.

1. I'm just wondering if anybody on here is struggling with good, very good, friends fading away. Just focusing on their life's and not able to contact at all or even get in touch on IM. I have this Chinese friend and I actually miss her, there's no way of getting to contact her or talk on Facebook. I've written happy birthday to her this past week, sent good vibes to her, but it seems as if it's a brick wall. I believe I've lost her number on my phone. But is anyone else hurting like this right now? Is it effecting your streaks at all or no? Should I just move on completely..

Tryhard Winduptired likes this.
  2. move on buddy, make new ones.

BootstrapBill and Meshuga like this.
  3. MJ Warrior 93

MJ Warrior 93 Fapstronaut

Believe me, you're not the only one with that kind of struggle.

I've lost so many friends as years went by :( It's one of the worst feelings ever!

Brain-Police likes this.
  4. sam30

sam30 Fapstronaut

I have also lost many friend too.. part of it was down to them settling down and I still haven’t

5. MJ Warrior 93

MJ Warrior 93 Fapstronaut

I feel you, man. I never got to settle down either.

6. Raven King

Raven King Fapstronaut

People change. Some friends outgrow you or you outgrow them. This is normal.
    A part of your NoFap journey should be to evaluate if your friends are actually helping you live the life you want to live. If your friends bring you down, let them go. I had to say goodbye to some toxic friends.

7. ndaty

ndaty Fapstronaut

Lost some bcuz twas one-way, i got tired of reaching out
    at some point, u have to let go, it hurt but later, u know that u're better off without em

8. vasudeva

vasudeva Fapstronaut

We lose friends all the time. It is human instinct and it can hurt a lot. I lost a group of 7 very close friends about a year ago. 2020 was the worst year of my life (but also a very insightful one)... and I often sent 1,000+ spam messages a day to friends, venting about how much I hated my life, and how much I loathed existing. These messages slowly degraded into more and more horrible ramblings, threats, and incoherent spamming calling for attention. I spent 5+ hours on this every day for 6+ months.

They eventually blocked me simultaneously and I have not heard from them since.

This is not quite the same as "growing apart" slowly, but it was a very unique experience that I learned from very slowly. I was stuck in a very dark place, full of delusion and self-loathing, and I did not realize I was doing something wrong. By losing that friend circle, I got a lot of insight about myself... and climbed out of deep despair.

Look for the underlying messages in your pain. Approach them curiously, learn to be mindful of your emotions, and to find lessons contained in them. And do not identify with a feeling or a circumstance ("I am miserable" or "I am confused/lost") because this just causes misery; you are not your feelings. Feelings are transient and so is friendship. It all changes, constantly... and you can never predict where it goes or how it changes. Find insight... and keep moving forward. Movement is the only path to cheerfulness.

9. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

Most of my school friends were a lot more successful than me, and have moved away while I still live in the same area I grew up in. I was very close to them as a teenager and thought that we would be friends for life, but it is difficult to keep up when your circumstances are so different. My friends were wanting to meet up and go abroad once a year, while I was struggling to put food on the table. After a few years you realise that you aren't really the same kind of people any more.

onceaking and Brain-Police like this.
  10. ImFuture

ImFuture Fapstronaut

I used to have a big social circle, like 30 people.
    Now from that circle I only kept 2.
    From that circle, I tell 1 my private shit like work, money income.

Learn to be alone. People will want to be around you once you find out how to be happy being alone.

WildPig13 likes this.
  11. BootstrapBill

BootstrapBill Fapstronaut

Most people eventually lose some contact with old friends .

Especially if they moved, or got married and had children . That's normal .

Can you imagine nomadic tribes Facebooking for a catch up . Nomads usually start there own families and travel People move around and that's just part of life . I had some good friends for close to a decade and eventually we drifted completely out of communication .now my father on the other hand has been friends with guys he went to primary school with about 50 years ago they still speak regularly and have done for 50 years . Different generations probably has something to do with it . That and social media . And then obviously people move on .

12. Brain-Police

Brain-Police Fapstronaut

^^^
    Damn, that sounds so much like myself. In fact, I still kind of do that with one friend ashamedly. I always hated dumping my problems onto others. Just because it feels good to vent, doesn't mean it feels good listening to someone else vent about something you have no control over when you're on the receiving end. Eventually, it gets tiresome.

Rarely does anybody stay friends with the people they were friends with in kindergarten to adulthood. People change, people grow and move on. They have their path, you have your own. It's a harsh truth of adulthood, and it does get somewhat more difficult to make long lasting friends as an adult, but it is still possible

vasudeva likes this.
  13. If I am being honest my only friend at this point is Jesus. He is the only one who keeps me sane at this moment in my life.

14. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

I pretty much lost all my friends because I started to doubt my faith and stopped going to church. All my friends were Christians so they stopped spending time with me. It seems to me they were scared of being around me because I might cause them to doubt as well. I'm moving on without them but it's not easy to make new friends.

15. vasudeva

vasudeva Fapstronaut

Good, lasting friendships are built on mutual progress. Neither friend encourages, nor accepts failure or misery. And thus, the friendship is tied closely with individual improvement.

These friendships happen naturally when you get involved in a hobby/career you love. Mutual suffering, mutual growth... tied in a very rewarding cycle. Otherwise, people end up with friends that accept misery... and console others when they're hurting without giving them constructive encouragement. These friendships are bound to die.