1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone interested in personality types?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by NF SINCE BIRTH, Apr 24, 2020.

1. With that said, I love reading :) Some of my favorites below:

-The monk who sold his ferrari

- The secret letters of the monk who sold his ferrari

- The interpretation of dreams by Sigmund Freud

-The alchemist

-The prophet

-The power of now by Eckhart Tolle

- Tao Te Ching

-Think and grow rich by Napoleon Hill

-Tibetan book of the dead

-The compound effect

diaspar likes this.
  2. What I'm saying came directly from the mouth of the man who created it. Who also admitted to lying to the public about it being some "ancient practice," which he says was not true and completely made up.

NF SINCE BIRTH likes this.
  3. tokuchi

tokuchi Fapstronaut

INTP
    Studied this stuff for a long time(years). I have come to the conclusion that any form of psychometric assessment tool loses its power in front of someone that control his or her destiny and is the one that pulls the strings of his or her character. Any form, no matter how occult and-or scientific. The former is backed by nothing but hunches the latter is backed by statistics the weakest scientific tool there is. Humans are not statistics, no one would bet on a coin that had a brain and an arm, since it wouldn't be probability anymore, but the choice of the coin.

As an addition, to those that cannot pull the strings of their character psychometric assessment tools work LIKE A CHARM.

Now, that doesn't negate the intellectual entertainment these theories provide :) Nowadays I see it as Carl Jung sees it, meaningless terms that serve as points of orientation in a conversation. Yes, the originator even thinks so.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  4. TheJetDude44

TheJetDude44 Fapstronaut

OMG Finally I find some other INFJ! Its the best and the worst thing ever. Do you ever feel like your intuition is mislead by your feelings? I have done this many times especially with girls i like where i feel like they like me but im not really sure because my intuition is telling me they are not showing it or vice versa. Also do you tend to over analyze things and make it more complicated than what it is? From watching videos about INFJ ive heard people say that as an INFJ we can make a connection with just about anyone but very few can make a connection with us do you think this is true from your experience? One more thing ive read that as an INFJ we rely on the perceptions of others to get a sense of how were doing and worth or is that just me? Great discussion thread!!

5. All you said seem accurate. With girls I often know that they like me at some point but I keep overthinking and making a big deal out of small details. For example if she has a bad day or is in a bad mood. I often take that as the ultimate rejection but it usually turns out to not be true.

And I think it is true that it is hard to form a true connection with us. I have many friends but I have only one which I can actually talk with for hours without feeling drained. I think she is an INFJ as well.

TheJetDude44 likes this.
  6. tokuchi

tokuchi Fapstronaut

Well to put it in the theory's words: you guys are overusing one of your least powerful function Introverted Thinking (Ti), hence your thinking results in circles rather than a conclusion. Based on the theory, your hunches/intuitions are the most developed. Then your feelings. Therefore, you have to look at it probabilistically. A) I can follow my intuition, B) I can follow my thinking. If you choose A most of the time you would be right most of the time, hence there is no need in overthinking or using any conscious thought at all.

However, you can use your thinking on matters of feelings, since it is your second strongest point. Using it for empathy and make an empathic conclusion, that is great. "She is in a bad mood today." Most women find this type of intelligence attractive, as long as you don't use it to come across as nice or sweet, it is valuable. Shows that you are socially calibrated and not a social retard like me.

So the order is: First intuition then matters of feeling, but as little introverted thinking as possible. Introverted thinking should be subtle like seasoning and not overused in circles.

Use thinking on isolated matters e.g. mathematics, philosophy, writing, planning and organzing. And refrain from using it in real life where feelings are involved like when dealing with people. You can't expect to use one of your weakest function when dealing with one of the most complex topic e.g. humans and be successful at it. Only psychopaths can use pure logic when dealing with humans and be successful at it due to their mind being blank from emotions.

Same advice goes to the other INFJ.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    TheJetDude44 and NF SINCE BIRTH like this.
  7. Thanks @tokuchi for an in depth answer. I havent done that much research on personalities yet but it all makes perfect sense. My intuition are correct most of the time but I get stuck in those circles as you explained. I often need my feelings for my intuition to work. My feelings can be all over the place in a way but I always kinda know which one is true. At the same time my feelings often make a mess for me. I know it isnt rational. I scored as an INFJ-T. I guess my emotions isnt as developed.

TheJetDude44 likes this.
  8. Fox.english91

Fox.english91 Fapstronaut

I fluctuate between INTP/INTJ

9. My SO is an INFJ-T, and personally he doesn't enjoy being around people, it's too exhausting, way too much work to keep in contact, and far too many people have broken his trust in the past.

I'm an INFP-T and while for the most part I like it, it's also draining wanting to help people because being around people and communicating takes a pretty big toll on my mental state.

Deleted Account likes this.
  10. Akiro S

Akiro S New Fapstronaut

Personally, I don't have much respect for the Psychology field as a whole and this kind of "theories" even more. I've read a fair share of books on psychology, human behavior, etc. If I've learnt anything, it's that this kind of research is practically not backed up by no tangible evidence. If you think about it, it's one of those rare sciences that have trouble proving anything at all. I mean, it has some fascinating drawbacks when it comes to empirical evidence, unlike others like physics, chemistry, math, etc. It mainly consists of theories and much of it makes no sense, because even if some people may share some behavior s/reactions to specific situations, it's virtually impossible to find any 2 human beings who are the same/have extremely correlating behaviors. Finally, whenever I passed these kinds of tests, I always felt that they didn't have the answer I wanted to provide. I didn't relate to any of the options, they are only 30/40% somewhat true but not really. I always wanted to write my personal andwer.Anyway, that's my take on this.

Ghost in the Shell likes this.
  11. Akiro S

Akiro S New Fapstronaut

Don't bother man, you said it yourself. All of them are just vague theories that are not supported by any empirical research whatsoever and the science itself may be to blame. I mean, I'm intensively studying math these days, and I must say, it's so brilliantly proven, natural beauty one might say. Whenever I understand some complicated topics, I'm deeply fascinated.

12. wokesheep_32703

wokesheep_32703 Fapstronaut

I took the test and usually go between INTP and INTJ for tests though I feel my functions match more with INTJ. This test gave me INTP.. but when reading the function percentages I'm not even a type it was ti>fi>ni>si... so I don't know if I interpreted it wrong but those were the strongest percentages in order for the first 4 functions. These tests can depend a lot on how you interpret the questions as well.

13. ndaty

ndaty Fapstronaut

someone can explain the result please,

14. newstartolife

newstartolife Fapstronaut

INFP 4w5 Melancholic True Neutral

15. Happy to see that this thread is still living. I have started to go out more and take more care of myself. I like being social but I can only handle 1 v 1 conversations without getting drained. I read a lot of books and do my homework when im not socialzing. I am dating more. Started keeping my place clean and dress nicer like a true INFJ. Life is good.

intso likes this.