1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone trying to build muscle??

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by suyash_4376, Apr 28, 2014.

1. suyash_4376

suyash_4376 Fapstronaut

I m 17 y/o and i would like some tips on how to build muscles, correct workout exercises and foods to avoid. An expert insight will be the best.

2. mr nofap

mr nofap Fapstronaut

How about a set of exercises that build your forearm strength!?

I'm sure there are a 100 sites out there that can teach you all there is to know, and then some more.

What would be an interesting discussion is whether or not not-fapping alters your hormones in such a way that it affects your muscle building ability.

3. WillC575

WillC575 Fapstronaut

Hey Suyash.

I guess it depends on if you have any specific goals with regard to building muscle? But for the most part there are 4 core type of exercises that you can do and there are many many variations of each:

1. Bench press (flat, incline, decline barbell, dumbbell kettle bell etc)
    2. Shoulder presses/lifts
    3. Squats
    4. Deadlifts

Build a program around those. Keep in mind that to gain strength you have to lift heavy (max weight4-6 reps)don't get caught up in the idea of big arms and doing constant curls for your biceps and triceps. There is nothing wrong with doing some exercises for them but if you do big heavy escercises that work large and multiple muscle groups you will also be working those.

Finally don't forget diet. Abs are built in the kitchen. If you need to gain weight eat protein & lots of carbs. If you need to lose weight lose the carbs. Keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat, its denser. You can actually look thinner but weigh more than you did.

Good luck man!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  4. chriss

chriss Fapstronaut

In my case body-weight exercises have yielded best results in terms of strength and muscle definition:
    triceps - dips and narrow grip push-ups, then weighted dips and push-ups
    biceps and lats - pull-ups and chin-ups, then weighted chin-ups. (it is good to have a SMART, yet difficult goal like a one-arm pull-up. It has worked wonders for me)
    pecs - weighted wide-grip push-ups
    quads - one-leg squats/pistol squats
    lats - wide-grip pull-ups, then weighted wide-grip pull-ups.
    Track you progress, focus on results and it will keep your mind busy. I recommend 4 sets of a maximum 10 reps each. It is easy too easy, add weights.

5. chriss

chriss Fapstronaut

I forgot to say something about foods to avoid - stay away from bread, (especially white bread), potatoes, pasta, pizza and junk food. Sweets are not a very good idea either. If you want to reduce flab, body fat and bring six-packs to light, you should wean onto proteins (meat, dairy products, eggs, lentils, etc) and cut down on the above carbohydrates. Best of luck