1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Applying my Nofap approach to creative outlets

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by samnf1990, Jan 19, 2018.

1. samnf1990

samnf1990 Fapstronaut

I have had a lot of success in quitting pmo by having a blanket ban on any M at all. If I want sexual release I seek out sex with my wife. No easy options or shortcuts. This shift from a lazy, passive indulgence to an active, effort filled and conscious, deliberate creation of a sexual situation has led to a much better, more fulfilling sex life. I think it makes sense to have a similar approach to creative endeavours: if I want to read I must write, if I want to listen to music I must compose, if I want to play a game I should code one etc. Having a blanket ban on all passive activity will surely help to be more productive and more prolific. Maybe even for set periods of temporary length. Any thoughts?

HooEmAi and r8js like this.
  2. Ongoingsupport

Ongoingsupport Fapstronaut

Yes, though the lack of technical knowledge in music and coding would leave many people with writing as the only option. But there are ways to remix and create new meaning. Many people collect inspirational quotes, but people don't think in term of putting multiple quotes together that may relate to each other.

There are also practical and creative uses of existing things that isn't what the thing is designed for, it could be simple low tech stuff. Martial arts enthusiasts may be familiar with a horse bench form, the bench was designed for sitting but someone thought of the practical application of using it as a weapon in specific ways with how common it is and maybe specifically in a public context. Basically start thinking outside the box.

See also: https://www.nofap.com/forum/index.p...od-with-the-right-timing.152348/#post-1262856

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  3. samnf1990

samnf1990 Fapstronaut

The idea is to apply the rule only to a creative field that you are already active in.

4. Ongoingsupport

Ongoingsupport Fapstronaut

Well you asked if there are any thoughts, which sounded open ended. Limiting it to a creative field someone is active in doesn't sound very creative but kind of mechanistic.. (in terms of the process of applying the principle, I'm sure within the confines of the field it's fine)