April 2020 General Conference

Fight the Good Fight

1. [​IMG]

Brothers and Sisters,
    I thought I'd create this thread so we can share / discuss any aspect of the April 2020 General Conference. I look forward to hearing what spiritual gems and pearls of wisdom you receive from conference. I know there will be a spiritual feast on offer for all of us.

Live Viewing Options
    All sessions will be streamed live on broadcasts.ChurchofJesusChrist.org. Sessions are also available via the Latter-day Saints Channel, radio, television, satellite, and other digital channels. See Live Viewing Times and Options.

To view at a meetinghouse, check with local leaders for availability. For specific times, languages, and rebroadcast information, refer to the Church broadcast schedule. The proceedings will not be broadcast in meetinghouses and stake centers where the spread of illness caused by COVID-19 is of concern. For more information, view the letter from the First Presidency.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    vxlccm and | Nico | like this.

2. President Nelson announced a worldwide solemn assembly and sacred Hosanna Shout to take place during the Sunday morning session of General Conference.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    vxlccm likes this.
  3. vxlccm

vxlccm Fapstronaut

Interesting, can't say I know what to expect, but definitely planning on participating :)

4. I have participated in a Hosanna Shout before. I think it was when Gordon B. Hinckley was President. It was broadcast world-wide and all members participated. It was an eye opener. Much like attending the Temple for my own endowment for the first time. It was a totally new experience that I had never witnessed before. It will be wonderful.

I'm wondering what other new changes might be announced in Sunday's sessions. As if we weren't counselled and inspired enough from on high in today's sessions - but wait, there's more!

vxlccm likes this.
  5. Any thoughts on the Hosanna Shout went for you, @vxlccm?
    I found it went quite quickly, quicker than I remember the last one I participated in. What amused me was how President Oaks seemed to get his own rhythm going. Haha, nothing wrong with waving to the eat of one's own drum, so to speak.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    vxlccm likes this.
  6. I like the new Church emblem. I like how Christ is a central focus. There are many churches popping up around where I live and it's kind of obvious they are, can I say it, 'money makers.' I love how the Brethren have emphasized putting Christ first in all we say, do, teach and preach. What do you think about it?

This new emblem emphasizes the name of Jesus Christ and His central role in all the Church does. The name of the Church is contained within a rectangular shape that represents a cornerstone. This idea has biblical roots. The Apostle Paul, employing a construction metaphor in a letter to the first century Saints in Ephesus, wrote that the Church is built upon the foundation of apostles and prophets—Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone. The center of the symbol is a representation of Thorvaldsen’s marble statue, the Christus. Jesus stands under an arch as a reminder of His emergence from the tomb three days after His death.

“[The symbol] portrays the resurrected, living Lord reaching out to embrace all who will come unto Him,” President Nelson said. “This symbol should feel familiar to many, as we have long identified the restored gospel with the living, resurrected Christ.”

Brethren, would it be possible to use the new emblem as our group picture? No problem if not. @Don Gately @LamontClan1 @Dante's Shadow

[​IMG]

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has a new symbol to identify the faith.
    Church Prophet and President Russell M. Nelson announced it and explained its
    significance during the Saturday evening session of the April 2020
    general conference.

vxlccm likes this.
  7. Weren't the two youth speakers wonderful. If that's the caliber of 'fruit' we (the Church) will be known by then we're in good hands. (Matthew 7:20)

I watched and listened to young Sister Laudy Ruth Kaouk with the deepest respect and admiration. Her message resonated with me. At the beginning of her talk she said, 'I hope the Spirit speaks to you directly through my message.' The spirit did speak to me when Laudy said the following, the words I've made bold have stuck with me, she said,

"Each week we are given the privilege and opportunity of taking the sacrament. Through this priesthood ordinance, we can have the Spirit to always be with us, which can cleanse and purify us. If you feel the need to eliminate something from your life, reach out to a trusted leader who can help you get on the right path. Your leaders can help you to access the full power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ."
    I am so grateful that I reached out to my Bishop who, with love and understanding, helped me feel the Saviour's love for me. I am so grateful for the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I feel I only am beginning to understand the first 2% of what it all means. I am striving to learn of Christ and what He has done for me. What He has literally done for me! I thank my Heavenly Father for sending His Son to atone for us.

vxlccm likes this.
  8. vxlccm

vxlccm Fapstronaut

Was a first for me. Fairly simple and quick. The spiritual power in there was a lot that we were all watching a live webcast and all around the world there's people praising God. Hopefully it will be memorable for the kids.

Azzure likes this.
  9. vxlccm

vxlccm Fapstronaut

@Azzure About the group change, honestly that's a whole topic we should address. Those users you mentioned really aren't here hardly ever. Maybe they can correct me. Honestly, I wish you'd join in and help manage the group!

Azzure likes this.
  10. Would be happy to help if you think there's a need. I think it would be nice to keep this group fresh and inviting. Do you know if there are any other forums online for LDS striving to be PMO free? I was once subscribed to a LDS Sexual Recovery board. I haven't been back to it for years, not even sure if it's still alive.

11. I agree, it was a great world wide moment where we all praised God.

vxlccm likes this.
  12. vxlccm

vxlccm Fapstronaut

I take my recovery very seriously. I've also put in a lot of time here on NoFap over the past 5 years. Getting to know people of all walks of life. I've tried to help make it a better place by staying involved and helping to encourage others in this battle. Doing this, I've tried to apply the Good, Better, Best test to my time and my own needs for outreach.

This is the best place I know of, in terms of an anonymous and welcoming environment. If anyone finds or founds other places, pm me to take a look. Until then, let's just help make this place the best we can. It's already great, but gets better with more real people taking the time to talk about successes and identify ways to continue improving.

13. I found the site I was referring to. Doesn't look active. http://www.springsofwater.com/desert/clean/index.php
    The owner, Rex ha some great resources on that site. I printed out a stack of them and they became my 12-step type programme at home back in the 90s.
    I wonder how Rex, and all the people on that message board, are doing. I recall there being many more (LDS) females active in the forums. There were forums for spouses too.
    It was a good set but I think Rex may have come into some financial difficulty, not sure.

Yes NoFap is good. I appreciate being able to use this resource at no cost. One thing I've wondered about is how safe our content. I had conversation with @Jefe Rojo about how uneasy I was about sharing too much details for fear that if I was identified that my 'story' could be used against me or made public. He reassured me that NoFap was pretty safe that it's a very remote chance that I would e identified. But then, whats to stop someone copying our stories and using them for their own gain? Anyways, I'm going to, as they say in AA, 'keep coming back.'

vxlccm likes this.
  14. vxlccm

vxlccm Fapstronaut

It's always a concern... doxxing. Just don't ever type something in that you can't have come back to you. The longer you maintain one account, the more the danger. Google, the NSA, and so forth -- already knows it's you. One way to take more precaution is to start a new account and always use Tor over vpn (etc) but details will end up getting shared if you usefully participate.

Remember that the Church is kind of against online anonymity as with masks. Interesting that they still provide and allow services like psychological therapy which is largely founded on the confidence of privacy.

15. vxlccm

vxlccm Fapstronaut

It's always a concern... doxxing. Just don't ever type something in that you can't have come back to you. The longer you maintain one account, the more the danger. Google, the NSA, and so forth -- already knows it's you. One way to take more precaution is to start a new account and always use Tor over vpn (etc) but details will end up getting shared if you usefully participate.

Remember that the Church is kind of against online anonymity as with masks. Interesting that they still provide and allow services like psychological therapy which is largely founded on the confidence of privacy.