1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Are college/bachelor's degrees nowadays a compulsory?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Oct 10, 2020.

1. ThePeakWae

ThePeakWae Fapstronaut

Must pay well, I wouldnt mind doing that kind of work.

2. You're lucky because Donald Trump made it compulsory for employers to employ people based on skills.

Yes. Having a post-secondary degree isn't a ticket to jobs. I attest to that because some graduates don't seem like learning soft skills.

Edit: if we stop fapping and learn soft skills, we'll stand out.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2020
    GottaBFree likes this.
  3. ThePeakWae

ThePeakWae Fapstronaut

Theoretical College degrees should only land you Theoretical type jobs.

The key is to make it more skill based, but many colleges are lazy and why shouldnt they? You cant even default on your student loans.

GottaBFree and Taylor25 like this.
  4. SuperiorMan95

SuperiorMan95 Fapstronaut

My belief is that going for a trade is a good job. Most guys go for white collar BS these days because they want status but my personal belief is that most men would enjoy the trades better. Plus a lot of jobs these days are highly tech which means you'll be spending most of your time in front of a screen which promotes compulsivity like PMO.

SickSicko, GottaBFree, Phast and 2 others like this.

5. Sigh. I guess getting a job at any level nowadays is to make a competition.:(

@ThePeakWae

6. ThePeakWae

ThePeakWae Fapstronaut

poor dude, they didnt tell him if you dont do a stagiare or more you will be losing priority over all those when looking for a job.

I´m in a similar position.

I find that: "you werent good enough, it´s your fault" to the millenials the biggest boomer joke of all time.

7. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

Sorry friends.

I am in my 40's and someone cheated everyone in their 20's along the way. I see it in people new to my field. This is old school thought, but think it through...

1) nobody owes you anything. Even with a degree you need to find opportunities - usually through networking.

2) If your degree is in the right field, more education does mean more money on average.

3) You need to learn to be likable. Good communication skills, following through on commitments while using those communication skills, and caring about those you work with is all it takes. You won't prosper if nobody likes you.

4) Trade schools are a cool option. No school can work if you blaze a good path, but in general you want a degree or a trade school. Statistics prove this out, even if there are exceptions.

5) pick a career that matches a lifestyle you want to live - money and time required. Use the time networking in step 1 to find a good match for you. You find happiness in not spending too much. It gets really competitive finding good jobs so ask people how they got into the field etc....

It's a competitive world. Nobody will give you a damn thing and you shouldn't expect them to. Have a plan, work the plan, and adjust as needed. If you are working hard opportunities will present themselves.

SickSicko likes this.
  8. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

For example: I graduated in one of the worst job markets in years. I networked like crazy and I was born on the wrong side of the tracks.

Maybe 1/3 of the people you talk to follow through offers to help, so you need to be talking to everyone you can. Ask them if they know anyone else you could contact, etc... Yes it absolutely blows, but you are trying to get a job 100s of other people want, so you need someone to tell you how to get in the back door.

I cold called business up and down the street. I finally got a horrible job and hated every minute of it, but it was a foot in the door. It was a rocky start but it led to good places.

Boomers (like me lol) can't stand to see people standing around waiting. It's a fucking dog fight. Get ready to rumble. People see you are scrapping and some will respect that and help you out.

9. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

And my last boomer rant.... Don't fucking know everything. Ask questions, then shut up and listen. Repeat back what they said in your own words to make sure you got it, then you can ask more questions. It takes being coachable.... Guess one of the top traits someone wants if they are going to spend the effort teaching you?

This person you are talking to has a job you want. They know how to get it and you don't, so listen and learn. Nobody likes a know it all and if you were listening earlier, you already know that you need to be likeable to prosper.

Now get off my lawn! Lol. Nah but really this is the way it is. I probably seem like a boomer to the interns we hire but I take them aside from time to time and try to coach them up. If they don't listen, or already know it all, I don't try.

10. College is not vocational school. There is this big misconception in society that college will train you for a career. No, this is not true. College is designed to help expose you to different ideas and gain mental maturity as an individual. That’s the purpose of college.

Doing well in school does matter. Now does this mean that a straight A student is automatically going to be successful at life? Of course not, grades don’t measure a person’s creativity, leadership and teamwork skills, or social, emotional, and political intelligence. Grades aren’t going to be discussed in a job interview but your employer will look at it as a way to see if you should be interviewed for a job. Once you get the interview, you have to convince them that you have the other skills necessary to be a good hire. Of course, other things go into effect in the interview process such as your work experience.

Taylor25 and ThePeakWae like this.
  11. ThePeakWae

ThePeakWae Fapstronaut

I´ve heard that a lot of jobs arent interested in recruiting Phd people right off the bat because there´s a dislike of: "Know it all mentality", a lot of Phd students suffer from.

What they value more when recruiting is your "potential", if you cant sell your recruiter on your potential better than the X other guys running for the same job, you are **cked, college students often suffer from limited potential in their job hunting and more often than not fail to prove their "potential" at the work place, so they dont get the job, this is why college students doing and having access to stagiares can be such a big game changer since they can prove they have potential for X job, by distinguishing themselves from their peers via stagiares.

However the dark truth here, is that Stagiares (like scholarships) arent open and available to everyone, so they guys who get in those already hold a vast upperhand over the other college people paying the same (or less/more) fees, for less opportunity access to the stagiares and yes, I get what a lot of people say that "You should put yourself out there", regardless and I agree, but it doesnt change the fact that the students are being sold on a lot of empty promises when they get into college.

I hope that at least after a few decades, teaching teenagers about investments and Chinese will become common in Highschool classes, we have to start teaching people since they are young better stuff so they can actually have a shot at getting x job later not hard to understand.

Taylor25 likes this.
  12. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

Some degrees like accounting and engineering are vocational, but most are just teaching you how to think.

13. I agree with ya. One of the skills employers look for nowadays is critical thinking.

14. ThePeakWae

ThePeakWae Fapstronaut

nothing wrong with that, but you can devellop those skills outside of college, go do some non college stagiares or volunteer work, odds are you can grow your network and land a job down the road, without the cost of college.

The fact the middle class is still deteriorating despite the exorbitant college fees being paid and the loans, should be proof enough that it doesnt work for everyone, and will have lesser results for following up generations, case we nowadays arent in the same environment and competition levels as Boomers have, either update the colleges or let them die.

If I ever have kids, there better have been good reforms at college by that time, or they arent going there, for the fees you pay, you should expect certain standards and guarantees at college that simply dont happen.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    Taylor25 and Phast like this.
  15. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

There are tons of bad options out there. Online Universities have worked well for people who have jobs you are supposed to have a degree to get, but otherwise I wouldn't recommend it.

A 2 year community college degree while working with a good university to transfer to has a great ROI.

Living on Ramen and working while going to college is how I did it. Self financed degree done in 3.5 years without any debt. You can live so cheap single and as a newly wed even.

Everyone needs a plan and the goal doesn't need to require becoming Bill Gates. Enough money to run a modest family on a single income is a good goal to live the good life..

Taylor25, Phast and ThePeakWae like this.
  16. You're not too much into the American Dream. We just need enough to sustain ourselves and our families.

GottaBFree likes this.
  17. ThePeakWae

ThePeakWae Fapstronaut

I like that, working and going to college will however overtax some people so I dont recommend it to everyone (have a friend working from home with headaches right now, it's a common ocurrence and it's been affecting his health, this was also post his Masters degree and accomplishing to land a job, it's bad that he's suffering from this), I know of retirees that now go to College to have a good time and help the young folks out there (and best of all dont hoard stagiares so there's more for us), so hey there are a lot of types who go into college and have their way with the system, I do however like to speak for that percentage of students who dont have their way with the system and need to change their approach I learned this pretty quickly once I changed from physically being in university to online teaching 1 year before Covid-19 hit, so I was already ahead of a lot of trouble.

Taylor25 and GottaBFree like this.
  18. I looked up some medium or high-paying jobs like IT, computer programming, bookkeeping, and children teaching in the past three months and lots of them require a degree now.:emoji_cry: I guess that has something to do with the Covid19 pandemic.:emoji_cry: