1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Are dating chat and dating apps damaging for your sexual health?

Discussion in 'Dating during a Reboot' started by Deleted Account, Dec 26, 2017.

Do you think that the use of dating chat should be a Reset or a Relapse?

1. Reset

7.7%
  2. Relapse

15.4%
  3. None of them

76.9%
  1. Ongoingsupport

Ongoingsupport Fapstronaut

What people will probably not look at is the effect chat or online communication has in general. Like these posts, you don't know anything other than what is typed, and a lot of people assume their way of interpreting the message is automatically right. And that's just words. There's the belief video is better I suppose but the key I think is it's always out of context. Actually ever traditional dating is out of the two peoples normal social context, unless Maybe you are out with their friends in a group. This is why when things get serious people take someone to meet their family.

The big picture though is there was always a world around you and isolating to a certain limited context just makes it so you know less about the person *as a whole*.

2. Mankrik

Mankrik Fapstronaut

I've been trying it recently and I don't think it has all that much potential. It also lends itself to objectifying women. However I just reconnected with a girl I already knew via tinder and it's been a godsend.

Son of Midgaard likes this.
  3. Ok if you think so for me it's fine, if you think that people had better to choose this easier way and escape from the posibility of improving themselves you are free to think it.
    But I'm warning you, from my personal experience, chat, in all cases, causes a very bad and subtle addiction (i.d. an habit that you repeat again and again even if you don't want to) and, over the time, it makes you feel worse and worse. And I realized it when I did a period of abstinence of months. The difference was impressive. Anyway it's just my experience. But you can easily test it on yourselves. Anyway I wish that someday they will make a statistical and empirical reserch on large scale in order to find out the real effects.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2017
    becomingreat likes this.
  4. Ongoingsupport

Ongoingsupport Fapstronaut

Yes some of these things are very subtle, and people may either not have has the experience or not have enough awareness to see that's what's happening. Some very detailed writing is out thete but many seem to feel they have it all figured out and cannot absorb the information or consider the possibility. But you know this through your direct experience and knowing yourself. Some people don't know themselves that well or even people in general, there is no point in discussion when they are only interested in a superficial intellectual understanding.

Deleted Account likes this.
  5. Sardonic

Sardonic Fapstronaut

I joined multiple dating sites in October, I put effort into my profile but never had any decent pictures, so I didn't get far and I don't take them seriously at all. A few would only work properly if you paid for "proper" membership, sod that. I've had 2 matches on Tinder with no replies (obviously) and only ever "conversed" with 4 people on POF (The rest were bots/advertising sites) but the one positive these apps did have for me is that they are so laughable it motivated me to approach a girl in person, fair enough she said no, but seeing how much of a pain relying on apps would be got me off my arse for once. They're a funny distraction and definitely not reset/relapse-worthy.

*edit* just spotted the thread title (shows how much attention I pay) as far as "sexual health" goes I don't want to accredit any particular dating app with me losing my virginity, because to me that could happen, but for me apps seem like a very robotic way of trying to find someone... it just doesn't seem right, so I guess in that way they have a negative effect on my sexual health.

Mankrik likes this.
  6. Cornixico

Cornixico Fapstronaut

Nothing beats meeting real people in real life. But Tinder can facilitate that if used properly, you just have to set yourself some ground rules before. My best use of tinder was whilst travelling, in an unknown place, was a good place to find local information etc. Look at the success stories and copy their method:

7. :emoji_ok_hand:

Without any "but" for me, mate!

8. Mankrik

Mankrik Fapstronaut

Ok so take this with a grain of salt but I actually had a double wet dream for the first time ever and the dream was related to online dating after I took up tinder this week. It might have a stronger subconscious influence than I thought.