1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Are You Managing Your Money?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by hashalot, Jun 13, 2018.

1. ItsSeal

ItsSeal Fapstronaut

Im using excell.

2. PeterGrip

PeterGrip Fapstronaut

Thanks for resurrecting this thread, very inspiring stuff.

3. Helfiger

Helfiger Fapstronaut

I absolutely agree. Excel is the best program to store the necessary documents. I've always had trouble managing money. Sometimes I spent too much on food and we were in debt because of it. So I searched the Internet for articles on how to do this correctly. I also wondered how do I add money to my cash app? I read an article where it was mentioned and was able to find something that suited me. Of course, at first, I still made mistakes with money management, but then I decided to put them in the app just by coming to the store. I was embarrassed at first, but then I just got used to it.

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  4. gordie

gordie Fapstronaut

I highly recommend the Richest Man in Babylon as an entry self-help personal finance book.

luckydog likes this.
  5. luckydog

luckydog Fapstronaut

Came here to reflect what @gordie just said; Clason's book is a classic, very easy to read (they are parables and stories FWIW, very simple to follow along) and you can find it used for something like $4. (Looked it up, sure enough you can get a copy for $4.50.)

Living below your income is very hard to do, but if you are able to do that as income (hopefully quickly) increases so do the savings and investments etc.

The only other thing this old-timer would contribute would be to sacrifice to put money away in a retirement fund. I remember as a student socking away a precious $2K when I was in my mid-20's, and how much that hurt. Decades later that account has grown - a lot - and would not be where it is today unless it started early.

It reminds me of the saying, "When is the best time to plant a tree? 20 years ago. When is the next-best time to plant a tree? Today."

gordie likes this.
  6. gordie

gordie Fapstronaut

I want to add to this that living below your means teaches you so many wise things in general. Tucking my money away has shown me that things don’t make me happy, that the happiness from money is usually from security (once you have an income that can afford a well-running car, a home, food, and you’re educated to your own standard). It’s easy to intellectualize how “things” don’t make you happy but when you live without the next videogame, the newest clothes, or meaningless toys you’re sold on crappy streaming apps, you start to find ways to make yourself substantially happy.

People, friends, and women think about your new sports car or sneakers for probably no more than a day. But when you’re money savvy, you’re able to draw a lot more positive friendships and attention to yourself.

Living below your means is actually kind of dope once you get in the habit. And what’s funny is that eventually you see some of the least happy people you know are people who can’t manage/ accomplish that.

7. luckydog

luckydog Fapstronaut

There used to be a forum in the 2000's on fool.com called LBYM, wow those were great times. (I see it is still 'alive', but only a shell of what it used to be.) Not sure where those community members are today, perhaps a mix of /r/frugal and bogleheads.org/forum, but I digress.

From the novel David Copperfield, which I enjoyed reading decades ago, said this: "Annual income 20 pounds, annual expenditure 19 [pounds] 19 [shillings] and six [pence], result happiness. Annual income 20 pounds, annual expenditure 20 pounds ought and six, result misery."

gordie likes this.
  8. PeterGrip

PeterGrip Fapstronaut

Thanks for the book recommendation. I just ordered it online.

Planning ahead gives some kind of closure. People naturally look into the future, and managing your money gives you a lot of awareness about that future.

gordie likes this.
  9. brassknucks

brassknucks Fapstronaut

OP are you the Dave Ramsey of Nofap?

10. luckydog

luckydog Fapstronaut

For those who want to know what the financial priorities should be if (and when) you start living below your means and actually have choices to make with money that starts to accumulate, here's a handy flowchart that sums up the priorities nicely.

The TL;DR:
    Step 0: Reduce expenses, set realistic goals
    Step 1: Build an emergency fund
    Step 2: Participate in employer-sponsored matching funds
    Step 3: Pay down high interest debt
    Step 4: Save for retirement
    Step 5: Save 15% of income for retirement, higher education if applicable
    Step 6: Advanced goals

11. Aléxandros

Aléxandros Fapstronaut

Using Notion, you can find a template by searching "Finance Tracker Notion Template" on google.

12. Aléxandros

Aléxandros Fapstronaut

Which part-time job would you recommend to an 18yo guy, who is studying economics at the moment?
    I thought about going to work in some restaurants as a waiter when this situation permits it.
    It will increase my discipline and will make me more mature, along with wealthier.
    I will give up on some nights with friends, but I think it's the best thing to do to stop feeling dependent on your parents.

13. Aléxandros

Aléxandros Fapstronaut

Everything I saved till now, 1k and more, came from pocket money and gifts.
    Even If I managed to save a lot as a teenager, I would like to earn some more money, maybe from working (considering I also have to study for uni).

14. Albert15

Albert15 New Fapstronaut

My wife and I struggle mightily with keeping our financial affairs in order, so we're researching options. We'd need something that has web access and sync across our devices, ideally. What do you - especially those who were one financially incompetent - to facilitate your money management? Mint? Clear Checkbook? Another? All suggestions greatly appreciated!

Aléxandros likes this.
  15. Aléxandros

Aléxandros Fapstronaut

I use Notion, here's the template!
    https://www.notioneverything.com/templates/finance-tracker

16. HitsOlivs

HitsOlivs New Fapstronaut

I have recently found it very difficult to manage money, so I use the offer for a smartphone.

17. a piece of advice from my father that has withstood the test of time "every time you get paid, save something, no exceptions"
    My strategy is much more complicated right now(investments, stocks, 401k, etc.) but it really stems down from that little nugget of always find a way to save money.

18. PeterGrip

PeterGrip Fapstronaut

Finally got around to reading the book. Absolutely great. It kickstarted a lot of thoughts in my mind. The potential it unravels, and in such a simple and pragmatic manner. Thank you both so much for the recommendation.

gordie likes this.
  19. gordie

gordie Fapstronaut

It makes me so happy to read this. Not even joking-- helping people get their money situation straightened out brings me happiness. That book is such a good foundation stone to figuring out how to build and manage wealth.

20. PeterGrip

PeterGrip Fapstronaut

Not gonna lie, I can't help but tell people about this book now either.

I just love the idea of accumulating what you can, and embracing trial and error. After reading the first story in the book - must have been 10 pages - I started to try to understand my expenses. I soon realized that I have a substantial debt. It's not that I did not know about it, but by starting to dream about this most suddenly tangible and achievable goal of accumulating wealth, I could also see that I had to get rid of that debt. I have never in the grand scheme of things thought of what I would do with my money and therefore lacked the desire to get after it.

Since I read the book I've become more calculated about my actions. The small things you do today will accumulate to a grand thing in the future. It's not just money. Whatever you do today will make up a part of what you are tomorrow. I love it.

My rantings aside, can I ask if you yourself have taken action in regards to investments? (or anyone else who might read this for that matter)