1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Astraphobia: any advice?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by aakkss, Apr 25, 2015.

1. aakkss

aakkss Fapstronaut

well, one of my biggest fear is of thunder and lightning. and it's raining cats and dogs here. any advice or suggestion will be more than helpful.

2. SerpentEagleHeart

SerpentEagleHeart Fapstronaut

The best thing I've heard that could help is this from 2:30 about a psychologist called Albert Bandura who developed a way of overcoming phobias.

Not massively sure how you could do the same process with thunder and lightning, but you could start by putting a youtube video on, and just listening to the sounds in the other room. Then go into the room with the sounds playing. Then look at the video. Etc etc.

aakkss likes this.
  3. Desensitization and association with pleasant things. As SerpentEagleHeart suggested, just listen to the sounds. And then, while you are doing that, rewards yourself for bing brave and facing your phobia. Eat your favorite food while you are listening, or have a snack. When it rains again, do the same thing, rewarding yourself for facing your fears. In time your brain will associate thunderstorms with pleasure.

aakkss and SerpentEagleHeart like this.
  4. aakkss

aakkss Fapstronaut

when it happens, I am unable to do anything. it's too tough for me to think about anything else. and today it wasn't alone, it was followed by earthquake..
    I'm too scared..

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  5. aakkss

aakkss Fapstronaut

btw thank you guys for your advice, it is gone for now..:)