1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Attraction towards people similar to our relatives

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by BigBadWolf_27, Aug 18, 2021.

1. BigBadWolf_27

BigBadWolf_27 Fapstronaut

We all feel emotional closeness to our family members, we admire their best features and we often just consider them as an ideal material for a partner. Of course, it can vary from person to person, some people will be more likely to choose the exact opposite.
    Through the years I developed a soft spot for blondes. I think it was partially related to the fact that I spend most of my childhood in the company of my older, blonde cousin. I admired her values like constant care for me, natural responsibility and the simple fact that she was a cool person to hang out with. A year ago I felt incredibly attracted to a girl that was looking pretty much like her. I realized it after a while and get really confused by that fact. My brain was probably just seeking the same values, wanted to bond me with someone I already knew it's worth the shot.
    Do you think that our taste in choosing a potential mate can be determined by the actual similarity to relatives? Tell your stories.

CarP likes this.
  2. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

I have a different hypothesis, this doesn't apply to psychological traits, for what possibly your theory may hold some truth, but at physical levels I have the hypothesis that we are instinctively attracted to people with genes that are not in our gene pool, like if our dna was like "yo mate, you need to create a hybrid with that other human, the survival of the species and bettering of it depends on crossbreeding, not inbreeding!" hahahaha

BigBadWolf_27 and CarP like this.
  3. gordie

gordie Fapstronaut

I definitely think so in some ways. Both of my parents probably have borderline and a slough of mental illnesses. 2/3rds of my girlfriends have been absolute nutters.

BigBadWolf_27 and stegiss like this.
  4. I'm not attracted to girls who aren't my race.
    For the ones who are, bonus pts if they're my same ethnicity/cultural background.

I personally wouldn't want a wife with the same values and virtues as my female relatives... But def the same charismatic charm and extravertedness as my female relatives.

BigBadWolf_27 likes this.
  5. its called
    genetic attraction,
    that people get atracted to the genetically related to them
    or people like them

6. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

So are you saying I would go irresistibly gay for a clone of myself?

7. only one way to find out!

8. FirefromAbove

FirefromAbove Fapstronaut

Idk I think I'm the opposite.

The people I'm related to are healthy, sane, and moral people.

And yet every girl I've been with needs to have a psych exam.

I have really bad taste in women, and I probably know why.

9. I've got the absolute opposite

I am not attracted to women who look similar to my relatives. Which is why I basically only like blondes, because everyone in my family has black or brown hair

CodeTalker and BigBadWolf_27 like this.
  10. GhostRider@11

GhostRider@11 Fapstronaut

I don't think it is anyway related to your genes, you were attracted to those good values of love and care, your brain unintentionally built a connection between blonde and good values, just like a smoker gets the urge to smoke in a particular situation more than other situations, our brain keeps on building connection and somehow it associated those looks with the emotional good feelings.
    And the other reason why I think this is true is because if your cousin had been treating you badly then no matter how closely she is related to you by blood, you won't even stand next to girls who look like her. You like those traits because good memories are associated with it.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  11. lol i want to marry to a female clone of mine ! hahaha

12. CodeTalker

CodeTalker Fapstronaut

I'm attracted to Asians. No Asians in my family. I did grow up in a town with a lot of Asians though. And my sister is married to an Asian man.

Cassiel Addams likes this.