1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Becoming the writer I want to be

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Anakin66, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

I'm currently writing a doctoral thesis and I often struggle to get my thoughts on paper.
    I've attended writing courses, seminars, workshops, etc; the full works. My writing has definitely improved both technically and stylistically, but my rate of writing needs more work.
    I will use this forum to document my progress as I strive to increase my productivity. I am trying to adopt a rise and write routine. For the past week, I've been able to write around 150 words in an hour during mornings. I want to ramp this up to 200 words and to be very consistent (daily writing). So here I go!

2. Would having some accountability and partnership help you? I know it's not for everybody, but there are a ton of people on YouTube who do writing livestreams. Basically they get together, chat for a but, and then write for 15/20min sprints, then check in with the chat and see how everyone did, how many words you got, what you're working on, etc. Then they chat for a few more minutes and then do another sprint, and so on and so forth.

If that kind of thing interests you, let me know and I can put together a list of channels for you to check out.

3. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

Yes, this is something I would definitely be interested in. You are very kind for offering to put together a list. Thank you very much!

Shin Iu and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Cool!

I actually forgot a friend of mine already made a schedule for streams. I'm going to send it to you privately, though, because I think it's an editable document, and I don't want anyone trolling it or something.

Shin Iu and Anakin66 like this.
  5. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

Slow day today. Managed 140 words but was able to do some much needed computations.
    Gonna try again tomorrow.

6. Kvath

Kvath Fapstronaut

Plenty of luck and success for you @Anakin66 . Don't put too much pressure on yourself (unless you're making a challenge). 150 words is great, maybe try and keep that rhythm for a month and see? Life is imperfect, not every day you're going to make 150. Anyway, ten thousand words is made of chunks of 100 words each time, you'll get there if you persist.

@Castielle can you recommend me some of these youtube channels and live streams you mention?

7. For sure! I'll send you the list :)

8. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

Wrote 120 words today. Happy with the consistency. Got stuck on some ideas that I'm currently working out. I believe this is the beauty about writing. It allows and challenges you to organise your thoughts and that's the struggle.
    @Kvath thanks for the support and your advice. I'll definitely try to maintain the rhythm.

9. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

Was away on vacation for the last few weeks. Didn't get much writing done. Broke my routine and struggling to start again. Got 118 words in yesterday morning. Gonna try to get back in shape.

Shin Iu likes this.
  10. Kvath

Kvath Fapstronaut

You can do it! @Anakin66 One day at a time man.

11. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

Thanks again @Kvath for the support.
    I did okay today. Got 270 words in and this morning had a productive afternoon as well.

12. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

Tough day today. University cancelled all activities for the next two weeks due to the Corona virus. Managed to write for half an hour (103 words) this morning. Had to go in office and get some important materials for the self quarantine. Gonna see if I can keep the pace up over the weekend.

13. Kvath

Kvath Fapstronaut

Hey Anaking whats up?

103 words in half an hour seems good but I think you're facing some writers block?

Do you edit whilst writing?
    Do you rewrite constantly?

14. Di.Do.555

Di.Do.555 Fapstronaut

Forget numbers and focus on ideas. i read a lot of books filled with fluff. i'd rather a short book with potent ideas than a big book with scattered ideas joined together with fluff.

15. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

I am struggling with writer's block indeed. I don't edit whilst writing. Usually do that afterwards. Sometimes I rewrite, especially if I go back and review work that is weeks old.

I didn't write on the computer today. I spent my hour hand writing points and mapping the outline of the introduction to my second thesis manuscript. I figured this is why my pace is getting slower. However, even that was challenging and I ended up reading some source materials. The bright side is that I made some notes that I will use for tomorrow's writing session. I'm looking forward to a productive Sunday.

Shin Iu likes this.
  16. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

The number is just to help motivate me to be consistent. Overall it doesn't matter. I agree, being concise is a skill that I'm continuously trying to improve. It's always tricky with academic writing though, as details are often necessary in a thesis.

Shin Iu, Kvath and Di.Do.555 like this.
  17. Kvath

Kvath Fapstronaut

Hey man, reading and researching also counts as writing! It's inevitable and highly necessary.

I asked about writers block and rewriting because yeah I think you're stuck. I know you're writing for academic purposes so it IS more tricky (I know it because I wrote for academy too in the past). I just wanted to share something that I think will help you:

Write a lot and don't overthink it. Just vomit everything you have in your mind on the paper/computer screen. Don't think about editing. Don't think if it's wrong or right. Don't think if it's good or if it's going to get the approval of anyone. Just write. Write as much as you can. From everything you write this way, most probably 20% of it is going to be good for expanding into a proper idea. It can even be 10%. But what's important is that in the process you most likely wrote around 10x times more words than you would do with your current process. Try it and let me know how it goes, I'd like to hear that.

I recommend 2 books:

"A Whack On The Side of the Head"

and,

"The War of Art"

18. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

Yes, I have heard of this technique from a writing instructor before, but I've not put it to practice lately. The truth is I always revert back to my default, which is planning a lot in my head, jotting down notes when I remember to, and then sitting at the computer to write. It works sometimes, like this morning. I was able to write 360 words in 1.75 hrs. Then in the evening I wrote another 140 in about 1.5 hrs. But this was because I spent the weekend planning, reading, and scribbling notes etc.

I will definitely try your advice and employ the vomiting technique, especially when I have lots of ideas in my head. I'll strive to develop this as a writing skill as I plan to write a lot after academia.

Thank you for cheering me on @Kvath !

19. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

Will check these out! Thanks!

Shin Iu, Kvath and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

Got in 200 words this morning. It's flowing better now. Gotta keep at it!