1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Becoming the writer I want to be

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Anakin66, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Chapter 1 (8/3/20 to 8/15/20): 5026 words
    Chapter 2 (9/7/20 to 9/15/20): 3308 words
    Chapter 3 (8/17/20 to 8/27/20): 5019 words
    Chapter 4 (9/16/20 to 9/23/20): 3409 words

Last Week: 2850 words

So I have started editing the chapter. I plan on editing Chapter 2 this week and then doing Chapter 4 next week. I did not edit too much this morning because after having my regular schedule be thrown off for two weeks, I am trying to ease my way back into the familiarity I know. So I will only edit a section of the chapters each day and try not to overwhelm my mind. I will also try to get up earlier and get back into doing this first thing. So not a lot to report on my end.

I do have a question for you guys: should I do my two weeks off from writing while I am editing the chapters or should I edit the chapters then do the two weeks of rest? @AtomicTango

Anakin66 and Akeakua like this.
  2. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I tend to edit then take time off where I dont even look at what I have written, so the latter imo.

Anakin66 and aspiringwriter1997 like this.
  3. I will do that. So should I try to edit both chapters this week then? Because between the two, there are seven scenes and I could do one round of editing in the evenings to get that through. What do you think?

Anakin66 likes this.
  4. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

If you think its doable, then by all means go for it!

5. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

983 words today. I spent much less time working today and as such the chapter STILL isnt done, but once again I found myself butting up against my self imposed cut-off point so I guess I will have to finish it tomorrow. I spent the time I would have spent writing messing about with my computer trying to get my microphone to work; one of my readers has finished the book and wants to discuss it verbally, but its looking like its not possible unfortunately as no matter what I do my headset that works fine on gaming consoles is too quiet and distorted on PC. I'm going to have to explain to my reader that using instant messaging is the best possible option.

6. I will! I had a much better morning editing because I realized I had to change the profession of someone since if the story is set in September and then November-December, the first job wouldn't work out because it's a spring-summer occupation. So I did that and I feel that would be a better fit in the long run. I even got my word count up a bit in the chapter's manuscript. :D

Would you be interested if I sent you a snippet? I know you were curious about it and I'd be glad to let you read a small section to see what you think.

Anakin66 and AtomicTango like this.
  7. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I would like that, just send me a PM and I will get to it when I can.

8. I will. Look out for it in the next few days or so.

Anakin66 and AtomicTango like this.
  9. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

1123 words today, chapter is finally done. Also spent a short time planning tomorrows chapter.

10. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

1565 words today. I want to say I am halfway through the chapter and should be able to get it done tomorrow but honestly I am unsure. If not tomorrow then Monday for definite.

11. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

1336 words today. The chapter is not done but will be next week. It took time to write relatively little due to the nature of the chapter but in the end I am very happy with what I came up with. Very much looking forward to taking the weekend off however.

aspiringwriter1997 and Anakin66 like this.
  12. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

At the end of this week, I have written 5021 words overall. I am up to 41 pages so far.

13. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

I had an interesting week. I am applying for a job that starts next spring. So I spent some long hours updating my resume and cover letter. I ended up writing an entirely new cover letter (950 words) and redo 80% of the resume (650 words).

You won't believe the amount of conflicting materials on the internet about what to include in your resume and cover letter. Because I really want this job, I literally spent hours researching how to do them effectively. It was also a challenge because it's an industry job, and they tend to throw PhD resumes in the trash. I am awaiting response from a contact at the company then I'll submit the application.

I also had to do a short summary of a report I did for a client in August. That was easy. I wrote it in half hour (700 words).

Unfortunately, my PhD work took backseat and I barely got any writing done for my third manuscript. I wrote 480 words in two sessions.

I still got simulations to run and the paper to draft. So I hereby declare tomorrow Simulation Day!

14. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I've spent most of this weekend feeling very run down, like I am coming down with something. I hope this doesnt affect my writing schedule but if I wake up tomorrow and still feel this way I may have to finish the current chapter and then go on hiatus for a bit while I recover. Fingers crossed I'm fine in the morning.

15. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Kinda went a bit crazy today and wrote up 3477 words. Chapter is complete.

16. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

Simulation Day was a success.
    I was able to complete 54 runs, which provides data for my first two objectives of paper three.

Today is hereby declared as data analysis day. Gotta runs some stats, plots some graphs etc!
    Will see if I can do some writing.

17. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Just got off a video call with my trusted reader. Feedback for book 1 is mostly positive with some constructive criticism of certain elements, mainly a few specific scenes and the dialogue, which I accept and knew beforehand was the weakest aspect of the book. My plan going forward remains unchanged; keep on writing book 2 and 3 and go back and make changes as I progress, to ensure momentum.

18. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Spent most of todays session planning the chapter, but still managed to get just over 800 words done.

19. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

Data analysis day was extended for a second day and was fairly successful. I analyzed 90% of the simulation results and plotted 3 useful graphs.

I was able to write 506 words discussing two of these charts today. I'm stuck at a few lines so I'll sleep on it tonight and continue fresh in the morning.

If I can complete this first sub-section of the results and discussion for manuscript 3, I will be happy and very thankful on Thanksgiving.

20. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

1135 words today. Greatly enjoying this chapter as it is the first with a brand new character, one from a surprising perspective on the events of the story.