1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Becoming the writer I want to be

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Anakin66, Feb 24, 2020.

1. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Glimmers of sunlight
    Break through walls of deepest grey
    Hope for a new day

1038 words today, chapter very nearly done.

2. So I apologize for not writing in here for a few days, but I was recovering from my sickness and had to take it easy. Plus, I hit a roadblock on the revision for my novel's first chapter that I intend to discuss with Atomic today or so. I'll send that message after I do this post, but I wanted to say that I did write an article for a rising publication over the last week and it's 2627 words, which is an 11-minute read. I'm proud of my first major publication and although I'm doing it for no pay, it spreads a good message and I own the copyright to each piece so that'll come in handy someday.

I also see you guys have been discussing poetry. I've been working on snippets of a long poem I hope to put together soon, but I've been working on a big batch of haikus this week. I've written 10, but discarded 1 already, so there are 9 haikus to go through and see if they're worth keeping to add to my haiku manuscript or if they should be discarded. If I write a certain number, about half end up making it into the collection, but this time could be different. I love the haiku you wrote @AtomicTango! That's very similar to a haiku I wrote a while back, but I can't think of it off of the top of my head. However, there was one I wrote yesterday which I loved so much that it stuck with me and you can read it below:

calico, tabby
    longhair, shorthair, tuxedo
    family of cats

It's also nice to see @Henryforward as another writer! I'm sorry that I've not said hello or greet you with salutations yet, but it's been hectic on my end. Fortunately, I'm hoping that next week will allow me some more time to work on my novel and to get that ball rolling up again.

They really don't take that long to write most of the time. If you're wanting to start writing them, I suggest maybe write at least 3-4 a week so that you're able to get a taste of fulfilling your need, but it doesn't take too much time away from your novel. Would that work?

3. Have you ever thought about writing a book of poetry and publishing it?

4. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I haven't, its just something I got the idea to do fairly recently.

aspiringwriter1997 likes this.
  5. Do you see yourself ever doing it?

6. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Honestly I'm not sure, I havent given it enough thought.

7. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

I'm very happy to report that I have submitted the first draft of my third manuscript. Spent two months and one week. It's the fastest I've written a paper. The icing on the cake is that I got comments from my advisor in record time. I can make the changes in two days tops.

I can now put my thesis together. I have the three core papers and 60% of the literature review. I also have to get it out by Nov 30th.

The last 3 weeks have been really productive for me. I added 3893 words by Thursday, bringing the manuscript total to 10,362 words and another 2000 words for the supplemental.

I won't be writing much for the next couple of days as I have to do some planning. I also have to get a review for a journal paper out by Monday. So I'll be swamped with that.

AtomicTango and Henryforward like this.
  8. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

I'm writing my thesis as a compilation of three research papers, a literature review, and some other components.

I also write engineering reports for projects that I work on.

9. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

Nice work bro!

10. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

Congrats on the publication!
    It's always wonderful to showcase your work. And it's equally important to celebrate each achievement.

Sorry to hear about the illness.
    Take care of yourself and have a full recovery!

11. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

I want to say thank you all for being here, contributing, and supporting each other. It's really amazing to see the progress made each day by everyone. It's also really motivating and inspiring.

Special shout out to @AtomicTango who has kept the flame burning all through the pandemic. Completing a novel is a huge accomplishment!

I see @Henryforward is making steady progress and is quite excellent in the realm of poetry. Keep moving forward as your handle says!

@aspiringwriter1997 has just published and is juggling school, writing, and life!

Great work guys!

12. No progress on the book. I haven't opened my laptop in a couple days. Hoping to feel a little better tomorrow and get some done. Just wrote this.

AtomicTango likes this.
  13. How far can you fall.
    How deep is the pit.
    How high can you climb.
    How tall is the peak.

Is it love that you crave.
    Is it all that you seek.
    Will that fill the void.
    Will that heal the wound.

Will her touch take the pain.
    Will her heart heal your wounds.
    Can she silence the noise.
    In her arms will you rest.

Do two hurting souls stop the rain.
    Do two broken hearts silence the noise.
    Will this moment remain when the sun appears.
    Will your love remain when the cognac it fades.

You walk away but your soul remains.
    You walk away but your soul still aches.
    You walk away and the rain still pours.
    You walk away and your heart still yearns.

14. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

1296 words today, chapter is complete.

15. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Blue sky above me.
    Yet I still feel rather blue,
    as warmth seeps away.

A bit more melancholic this one, but I quite like it.

16. I really like this one.

17. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Thank you!

18. The wind pounds the hill.
    Ancient wise men awaken.
    Abruptly stops. Peace.

19. Sun kissed skin, pretty.
    I feel her smile get loud.
    Gone, fast as the waves.

20. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut