1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Becoming the writer I want to be

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Anakin66, Feb 24, 2020.

1. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Dark trees without leaves,
    crested with frost, Winter's touch.
    Flowers do not bloom.

Our crunching footsteps.
    Traversing blinding wastelands.
    All the world is white.

2. I'm up to 3,555 words on the chapter. I'm like 870 words away from matching the length of the first chapter, but I'm wanting to try to get it up to around 5k or as close to it as I can.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  3. I just added it up and I wrote 550 words this morning so I'm ecstatic that I reached my word quota. After I complete this chapter, I'm going to work on finishing the rest of Charlie's character notes, make outlines for the next two chapters, and work on rewriting an old story ("Future Jazz") while trying to further develop my writing style so that I can try to write better short stories and maybe consider working on a novella too, but I've also got to find a job and start focusing on writing things that can be sold and published.

Oh me, so much to do and not sure where to begin haha.

4. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

Finished the first 3 chapters and are done. Until a final beta read maybe.

I was hoping the next block which was 16000 words would be done. Chapter 4 is done but the next chapters are getting major rewrites. I'm rearranging scenes orders and adding more.

Writing note cards for each chapter and thinking about how everything aids each plot and subplot made me realize I was letting my main character grow unnaturally fast and I'd made his weaknesses seem cheap and easy.

I'm hoping to get those points fixed in the next couple of days. I'm looking forward to seeing how it flows together.

I am cutting my wordcount down so much I'll need to add more at the end, but I rushed the end so much I'm looking forward to it.

5. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

At the end of this shorter working week as a result of the shorter chapter, I have written 4531 words and brought my page total up to 276.

6. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

A land enveloped
    as the freezing fog descends.
    Secrets in the mist.

7. No writing today because of a headache, but it gives me a chance to rest and ponder what the schedule for next week's going to be like though.

8. Unexcited synapses, oh the mind is numb.

Uninvited thoughts, get louder by the day.

Distorted perception, gives way to deception.

Perverted delusions, cloud the mind it gets loud.

Holding on to this robe, assume it will hold as it frays.

Watching it closely, as it slowly give out.

I’ve fallen away, from the light that once shone.

I’ve fallen to darkness, where the light does not shine.

Watch myself fall, as the clouds they envelope.

Try to keep balance, on this tightrope of life.

Misguided judgement, choices long ago.

Blindsided by liars, they scream and accuse.

When will I wake, from this nightmare I walk.

When will I fade, away into bliss.

9. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

Dark and all too familiar. Nice work.

Henryforward likes this.
  10. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

I wasted time looking at Fivvr thinking about paying a few bucks to some beta readers for the first sections.

But I don't want to change them anyway, so I'm going to roll with it the way it is.

The first chapters I've overworked. My last edit may have made them worse. I made it an obsession thinking they were the key, but my real work starts in chapter 5.

I'm going back to daily quotas. It's impossible now because sometimes I'm reworking parts and writing new sections. 2 hours a day minimum is the standard but I'll be happy as long as I get 30 minutes in on a busy day.

Within 7 days I want to get the rewrites done past what I considered the intro and early middle. If I self publish it's where I'll cut the book and beef it up.

AtomicTango and Henryforward like this.
  11. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

Young, he walks with confident step,
    Eyes locked ahead on mansions to accuire.
    From the alley she calls him closer,
    with promise of delight.

"One step can't hurt" with eyes locked on allure,
    but the alley road gave way and he died of old age.

12. Do you trust some betas on fiverr?

GottaBFree likes this.
  13. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

No. Probably wouldn't be worse than the randos I found on Reddit lol.

I think it's a desire for reassurance, but there is no value in that.

Henryforward likes this.
  14. I’m sure any of us in this thread would help. I think you joined after I stopped posting Because I was really low. But I’m working on a couple novels just on hold at the moment until I get my computer fixed.
    And I write a lot of poetry that’s my pleasure.
    I may be somewhat up and down in my moods but I have good character and I’m a Christian not just religious I was literally scum and God saved me. Id be happy to give you reassurance on a chapter or two.

GottaBFree and AtomicTango like this.
  15. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Another Wintry haiku for you all. Hope you enjoy.

Wintertime loosens
    its grip for but a moment.
    Green grass under ice.

16. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

That was my 1st and last poem probably since highschool. Not my gift, but I enjoy reading them.

I appreciate it. I'm plowing forward.

Henryforward likes this.
  17. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

18. I'm up to 4,005 words. I wrote 450 words today, intending to make it to 4k in the chapter and I'm intending to finish it this week. I'm getting close to completing it and then I've started a personal essay I hope to publish and will finish the article I've been working on this week as well. So it's been a fantastic start to a productive week ahead.

Anakin66, GottaBFree and AtomicTango like this.
  19. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Great to hear, you are making great progress my friend.

20. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Had an idea for a short scene and I had the time so I wrote it. 709 words.