1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Been depressed lately.

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by zxcv, Aug 3, 2019.

1. zxcv

zxcv Fapstronaut

I've been depressed and lonely lately. Just think been thinking about the fact that I used to have friends that I would hang out with, but after the link/or place that held the group together was gone and we stopped hanging out. They pretty much forgot about me and don't talk to me anymore. This has happened multiple times over the years and it never changes. Nowadays most of the people from the groups I used to hang with are already married and I'm still alone and don't have friends. Honestly I think it's going to be the same way with the church group I hang out with now. I can already see signs of it happening. They already don't talk to unless it's inside the church group other than that, silence.

I've also been dealing depression and loneliness off and on for about 13 years now probably even longer. But I tried going to a bunch of different psychologists and tried different depression meds but nothings really helped at all. I still have my times where the depression isn't as intense as other times, sometimes to point where it doesn't feel like it's effecting me, but still enough that it's draining of my energy on top of being a introvert. Either way I've tried a lot of different things and nothing really has been helping.

So it's basically the usual worrying about being alone forever and never getting married, or apparently having any friends. I'm defiantly a introvert and love my alone time but I need people in my life too, but at the same time people can be annoying to deal with. Not really sure what to do.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  2. zxcv

zxcv Fapstronaut

And another couple of old friends that's totally forgot about me just got engaged...

3. ImpureHuman

ImpureHuman Fapstronaut

You can't say that, you don't you know what future holds for you, may this may be a wake up call to do something good for you and others, find things that matters most. Please stop dwelling in the negative aspects of you. There is good in everyone. Sometime we failed to see that..

I wish you good, strength, love...

White Sheep and Ju@n like this.
  4. properWood

properWood Fapstronaut

Try to find a psychotherapist that is focused on childhood trauma and/or childhood emotional neglect.

I can recommend books such as "Running on empty" or "The emotionally absent mother".

What I believe is going on is that in your early childhood your primary care taker may have failed to provide you with the emotional support, to teach you emotional regulation and, to some extent, take care of emotional needs. You adapted to that through isolating emotionally from your care takers, but this is now screwing up your adult life. I'm not a psychotherapist and I don't know much about your past, but I believe it's worth looking into it.

5. amaranth

amaranth Fapstronaut

It might be useful to acknowledge that it's quite commonplace for relationships to drastically change after a certain point in time, be that after school years, after uni graduation, marriage, career change, etc.

Most ppl tend to tend to their priorities (even if those priorities may serve nothing at times). Thinking that they're just following their own path and not acting out of ill will might be more useful for us, especially since we don't have access to the actual inner workings of their psyche...

What's more, comparing never really helps, IMHO, unless one uses it to get better and grow and see change in their life by monitoring their progress day by day (that is, comparing results). No use thinking about others' happy circumstances and how they've got it all, while we this and that...(this line of thinking gets me so easily myself though, still training).

We all have our grievances, and also the right to go at our own pace... with supportive ppl of our choosing and towards outcomes that we honestly resonate well with..

6. Would you be ok with sharing more characteristics of your lifestyle so we could maybe help? As in habits, what your goals are, etc.

It’s good that you are here seeking help. We are there for you, please continue talking to us.

ImpureHuman and White Sheep like this.
  7. moulox

moulox Fapstronaut

zxcv I can see there are many common things in our current situation. I realize now how much loneliness has contributed in fapping all those years and even worse how much it sabotages my path to recover.

I'm beginning to realize now that unfortunately this is the rule for how most people behave and form these "groups" according the marital status. I had the specific conversation with one of my, recently married, "ghost friends" and he told me about how his wife faces the same neglect from her married friends that have given birth to children. The married friends will kind of shut out of their social circle their friend that doesn't have a child yet.

I get the same indifference from two of my friends despite the fact that there's also an extra religious/social bond on top, that I explicitly analyzed my state and how much I needed their support on my efforts to socialize more. This ends up that even when I meet with them, the conversation ends up in that weird situation, as in all that time has passed where I've been alone contemplating and going back and forth in my mind that I just have lost track and finally the will to talk about it with them.

I don't now how my opinion about this topic can help you since it is still a work in progress, yet the current outcome for me is anger and bitterness. So for now the path I'm following is the one where I minimize my contact with certain people to the absolute necessary social obligations and, most of all, become as much tolerant to loneliness as I am able to. I understand that this may hurt my progress but I'm trying to compromise with the fact that from now on, I'm gonna be spending more time on my own.