1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Being a short man

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by R2DToy, Nov 17, 2019.

1. R2DToy

R2DToy Fapstronaut

Hello. When I was younger, I didn't really think about it much. But it was later in life, probably a bunch of years ago I started to realize it for 'real'. I'm a short guy, appearently.

Of course I already knew I was since primary school. But it never bothered me much. Could being short have contributed greatly to being shy, and introverted, holding back on everything that you wanted to do and say?

I'm a 'mere' 1.70m (around 5,57 in feet). It's not that short, but it certainly isn't great either. I live in the Netherlands, appearently we're the tallest people on earth. Great! Basically I don't stand much of a chance with women taller or of equal height than me because those want to be able to wear 'heels'. It rules out a lot of potential women.

In this superficial world of today (I'm guilty of being absorbed by it too), especially on the dating apps, as a mid-thirties guy like me you try and find women actually interested in you!

Now I know my confidence has also been battered by.. more personal problems outside of my 'fault' with years of depression as a result.

So, then, what's a 'short' man supposed to do if he still wants to have a family? Go for the really short ones? That'll only make my bloodline even shorter. I wouldn't want my children to suffer from this terrible fact either.

Time is ticking. I'm just wasting it here in being on my own depressed and the upcoming winter and current autumn (dark days) isn't helping. Sometimes, and more recently I just feel like to murderalize myself.

My therapist is aware of this, I'm just getting standard advice like go outside, try something new, but it's pretty damn hard when you're poor and depressed. I feel like depression has become chronic and there's little you can do against it when it pops again.

Well anyway. Thanks for reading.

2. athlean

athlean Fapstronaut

what do you think about being 1,80 cm like myself? idk if it's considered short (thats 6 foot, right?)

i live in the netherlands too

3. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

Hit the weight room. No one will think of you as short if you can tear them apart.

4. TheLightOne

TheLightOne Fapstronaut

U dont want shorter woman because u would have short kids? Maybe its a girl and it does not matter.
    Also what then, u want to have taller girl? There are such women but not many.
    Also its not necessary to have short kids when parents are short. What bout ur ancestors?

5. Try to mainly focus on your recovery and your happiness everything else will then start to fall into place. People tend to feel attracted the most to those who like themselves :)

6. DerSchütze

DerSchütze Fapstronaut

I'm the same height as you, but we are all blessed in different ways, you can't change it so why look at the negative?

7. Well, easy for 1.85 me to say, but be confident! Be proud of it! I'm proud of my height. So what that there are some norms or whatever? Be yourself and don't feel bad about it. Hit the gym, be active and you will look better than a lots of taller dudes ;)

DerSchütze likes this.
  8. Don't rule anything out. I always tell people that I'm 5'7 and my last girlfriend was 6'0. Don't worry about it man. Plus us short guys have longer life spans on average.

9. Don't worry about that man, if you can't grow taller, just grow larger, damn. I think that it's easier for short men to build muscles, so you definitely should check that out.

I'm 1.66m tall and sincerely, I don't care about that since I was 15. There are plenty of women out there, sure one of them is interested in short guys.

10. skibum71

skibum71 Fapstronaut

Try and be bigger in a different way. Control the controlables. I'm a similar height, yes I think about it every day. But until they invent some magic pill, the ONLY solution is to accept it. Stressing about a problem which has no solution seems like a guaranteed way to feel like crap - so don't do it.
    Good luck!

11. I wouldn’t worry about it mate, not only are these things we unfortunately can’t change but also aren’t deal breakers.

My SO is shorter than me and not only did that have no bearing on me liking him, but also has had no effect on our relationship. He wishes he was taller and I wish I was a lot shorter but I’m pretty sure everyone has these wishes/thoughts as well as insecurities in general, and I highly doubt the majority of women care about that. I’m not saying you can’t complain about it either, just try not to beat yourself up over it mate.

You’ll find somebody, and they’ll love you for who you are as a person. You don’t want to be with someone that has superficial qualities, so if those type of lasses pass you up then that’s actually a good thing.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2019
    CTRL + DEL likes this.
  12. skibum71

skibum71 Fapstronaut

Hmmm. You dont know that though, do you? While these sentiments are all nice and cosy, reality is often different. There are tens if not hundreds of millions of guys who do NOT find someone "who loves them for who they are". The whole RedPill/MGTOW/Incel thing has exploded because all of these lonely guys, that the rest if the world pretends dont exsist, feel like they finally have a voice.
    Most cliches have some truth in them, but not this one.
    The question is, what is OP and anyone else in this situation (myself included) gonna do about it?

13. Err okay? Then don’t listen to me and continue to do whatever it is you’re currently doing, reality is there’s not a single bloody thing you can do about it, short of say height enhancing shoes and just accepting what you can’t physically change. Wallowing in frustration and depression while thinking you’ll be alone forever isn’t going to do anything, so as I said before if somebody doesn’t pick you for such a simple thing then they’re literally not worth it.

I thought I’d try and help with a different perspective especially being female but I guess not with your sweeping generalisation, unless you can just magically grow good luck.

CTRL + DEL likes this.
  14. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

Okay, first of all in most cases it doesn't matter. Your insecurities in itself are going to be a bigger problem. Even that is something you can work around. Really your social skills and how much you talk to women in the first place are the biggest contributing factors. There are a lot of women who just don't care about your height that much.

But hey, nevermind that. If someone is so superficial that they'll discard you because of something as trivial as height, why would you want to date them? I mean don't bash them for their life choices, because everyone's got to go for what they personally like, but just know that they are being silly. And I think that's one of your problems both for your own well being and for your succes with girls. You seem to have little to no standards for what kind of woman you want to date. That's really harmful for your self worth.

But hey, why don't you focus on yourself? Figure out what values you have and start living by them. If you are dedicated to doing what you see as the right thing, you'll eventually realize that you don't really need the acceptance of anyone else. Besides being committed to your values is really attractive.

And if tinder doesn't work out for you, don't use it. Of course people get overly picky and superficial in an environment where they have a buffet of people about whom they only know superficial things and where the only thing you have to do to discard someone is to swipe. While tinder might seem like an easy option, it has it's serious downsides.

15. SREENII

SREENII Fapstronaut

hey..i can't stop laughing reading this post..i wonder why you are sad for such silly things..you should be thankful to god for creating you without any disabilities..coz many people in this world are suffering from various physical as well as mental disabilities that destroyed their dreams..you should be happy that you don't have any fatal diseases like cancer, hiv etc..come out of the dating apps and social media..just visit a regional cancer centre or a poor slum in your country..you yourself will understand how blessed you are

16. On the contrary I’d say just because it’s not a “disability”, that doesn’t mean something can’t hurt or bother you.

17. SREENII

SREENII Fapstronaut

yeah..for a child getting a candy from a shop is a big deal..if he didn't get it..it's the biggest reason for his worry

18. skibum71

skibum71 Fapstronaut

@LBP
    Look again and you will see I highlighted a quote: "you'll find someone, and they'll love you for who they are" I was just pointing out that as comforting as this sentiment may be, for millions of guys, it is a false promise.
    There are millions of long term single people out there, most of them are probably very very sad about that, and they will all have been told "you'll find someone" - but they don't. That's all I'm saying.

Dave G 123 likes this.
  19. I have no idea what that’s supposed to mean at all, if you severely don’t like something and can’t change it, that takes a huge toll and makes a lasting impact on a lot of people’s emotional well-being. That has no bearing or relation to others having it “worse” than you.

We all get that there’s always going to be someone that has more problems than you, and he could be disabled sure, but using against a person that’s especially insecure about something they can’t change is just a poor excuse. You’re pretty much telling them that what they’re experiencing isn’t that bad, how would you know what they’re going through?

20. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

I don't mean to be condescenting but you know, the adding system doesn't work like that. If you abbreviate the name, the system won't recognize it.

@LPB
    @Little Bo Peep

See the difference?

skibum71 likes this.