1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Being a Valiant Man

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. Jharpeskie

Jharpeskie Fapstronaut

First, I want to say that I'm not claiming valiancy, but I did this course called Valiant Man that was about tackling sexual immorality in men within a Christian context. This post is to share what I learned so that it might help you, and also to reinforce the concepts in my own head.

God made us sexual: And our sexuality is complex and magnificent - when expressed properly. Sex was made for: Bonding, Intimacy, procreation, pleasure, comfort, healing and discipleship. But just like anything great, there is evil in the world that's trying to rob us of God's gifts.

Humility and Denial:
    We must be humble and accept that we may have a problem, even a small addiction is an addiction that needs to be put to an end. This took me a while to realise. I thought there were much worse people out there, therefore I was okay. In humility help your other brothers out, be honest with your journey, and offer advice and words of encouragement to them. Most of the time the best form of encouragement is just to listen, as your mate gets something off their back.

You are a Biological masterpiece: God is the creator of science, God's beauty and mystery is at work in his smallest details. Your battle with PMO may be a spiritual battle, but it's more likely a biological battle, we've allowed these incredible brains of ours to develop habits and neural pathways that are not helpful. But they can be broken/changed! But it takes proper discipline and proactivity, you're most likely not going to pray away your addiction alone, but you most certainly can reduce the stimulus you're exposed to and slowly have your brain trained out of it's negative ways. Find those triggers and cut them out completely.

Motives and Tools: It will make your journey much easier if you have a solid motive. Wanting to quit because you love your wife, you want to cut this sin out, you're feeling distance from God, whatever, you need to really believe in it! Bounce your eyes when they lay upon anything that may trigger you, even a pretty face. Find off ramps, if you're starting to go down a bad thought lane, take an offramp and distract your brain, a good one I found is to look straight at my watch and in my head bust a rhyme incorporating the time. to the limit stimulus. Avoid those highs through the eyes and know your areas of weakness.

Questions to ask yourself:
    Why do I look at P, and why do I M? Are you trying to alter your mood, escape reality, punishing yourself, bored? Find out why and start thinking of how you can avoid that behaviour.

Oh and it's really useful to find an accountability buddy, or two. Someone you really don't want to let down, but can be honest to.

Although I believe most christians have a biological fight instead of spiritual, just keep praying about it. Our Father loves us and does want to help us, try feel the peace knowing that He loves us and understands our struggles, no matter how filthy we feel. He has given us Grace.

Hope this helps someone!

Knighthawk likes this.