1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Being Habitually Late

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Has anyone struggled with or overcame being that late person? I’m late to everything. It doesn’t matter if it’s something like work, or something I WANT to go to like church or hanging out with friends. I always feel awful and embarrassed about it but I’ve struggled with it ever since I can remember. Help?

Craig365 likes this.
  2. 1)Take being on time SERIOUSLY!
    2)Give yourself some (enough!) buffer time in case something comes up or goes wrong.
    3)Properly plan ahead the things you need to do before going to the thing you want to be on time for.
    If else fails, remember:

wizard late.jpg

3. TruChange

TruChange Fapstronaut

I've struggled with this for years.

It was only when I looked back and realized that being late cost me jobs and friendships that I started to get serious about being on time.

Here are a few thoughts:
    1. I wasn't late all the time because I was lazy, it was the opposite - trying to do TOO much. Trying to do my laundry, wash all the dishes, answer emails, make the bed, shower, get dressed, etc., all before heading out of the door. To be on time I had to be OK with leaving some things undone. If I have to be out of the door at 10.15 and the house is a mess - so be it. I have to leave it a mess because my leaving time is non-negotiable.
    2. Related to my last point - even though you arrive late, that isn't the problem. You're late because of your leaving time NOT your arrival time. By the time you're on the way, it's too late. Leaving early and starting your journey with plenty of time is the key.
    3. Aim not to be on time. Aim to be 15 MINUTES EARLY. I take a book or a podcast with me to consume while I'm waiting. Get used to waiting 15 minutes for other people.

This quote from Dan Kennedy has helped me take punctuality seriously:

"I’m sure there are exceptions somewhere, but so far, in 35-plus years of taking note of this, everybody I’ve met and gotten to know who devoutly adheres to this discipline becomes exceptionally successful and everybody I’ve met and gotten to know who ignores this discipline fails. Is it possible that this one discipline alone is so powerful it literally determines success or failure?

The discipline I'm talking about is punctuality -- being where you're supposed to be when you're supposed to be there, as promised, without exception, without excuse, every time, all the time.
    I’m sure there are exceptions somewhere, but so far, in 35-plus years of taking note of this, everybody I’ve met and gotten to know who devoutly adheres to this discipline becomes exceptionally successful and everybody I’ve met and gotten to know who ignores this discipline fails. Is it possible that this one discipline alone is so powerful it literally determines success or failure?"

It is my conviction that a person who cannot keep appointments on time, cannot keep scheduled commitments or cannot stick to a schedule cannot be trusted in other ways either. There is a link between respect for others’ time and respect for others’ opinions, property, rights, agreements and contracts. A person reveals a great deal about himself by his punctuality or lack of punctuality."

4. Thank you so much! I realize how selfish it is. I’m acting like others’ time isn’t as important as mine. It doesn’t show dependability either.

5. Looking through my threads and 2 years later I’m still struggling with this lmao man

6. I don't know how you guys do. I'm always on time by the minute, even if the meeting is 4 hours away. It requires a lot of thinking and organisation though, until it all becomes automatic. I think a golden rule is to always plan to arrive early and to leave a buffer (short or long depending of distance and complexity of commuting from A to B).

7. The people who constantly come into class late, I have noticed, are full of excuses. Their work is never done, they are always trying to suck up to the teachers. Always apologizing, always putting on a fake smile for the teacher, always swearing the work will be done if they can just have an extra day or two. On and on. Nobody in class wants to work with them.